blood sugars are all over the place

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I was intrigued because I have never used this calculator so gave it a go for the 20 chicken nuggets. This is the resultsView attachment 43549
It shows 61g of carbohydrates. The "of which sugars" is not relevant. I have no idea where you got the 2.5g that you mentioned earlier.

As to why your blood sugars rose to 18 when you missed 2 units of insulin, there could be a number of reasons
- what was your blood sugar reading before you had the nuggets? If it was already on the higher side, you may have needed to included a correction dose.
- when our blood sugars get higher (for me, anything above 12 mmol/l), we become insulin resistant. When this happens we need more insulin so your Toujeo may not have been enough to maintain your levels when the insulin resistance kicks in.
- was there anything else that could have impacted your blood sugars in that time? Stress can send my blood sugars high pretty quickly, for example.
- your basal levels may be wrong. Have you done any basal testing to ensure your dose of Toujeo is correct?
- your insulin to carb ratio may be wrong.

Ok today my blood sugars have been quite good. If the bad blood sugars come back then I will come back to answer these questions. I think the basal insulin is working

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I was intrigued because I have never used this calculator so gave it a go for the 20 chicken nuggets. This is the resultsView attachment 43549
It shows 61g of carbohydrates. The "of which sugars" is not relevant. I have no idea where you got the 2.5g that you mentioned earlier.

As to why your blood sugars rose to 18 when you missed 2 units of insulin, there could be a number of reasons
- what was your blood sugar reading before you had the nuggets? If it was already on the higher side, you may have needed to included a correction dose.
- when our blood sugars get higher (for me, anything above 12 mmol/l), we become insulin resistant. When this happens we need more insulin so your Toujeo may not have been enough to maintain your levels when the insulin resistance kicks in.
- was there anything else that could have impacted your blood sugars in that time? Stress can send my blood sugars high pretty quickly, for example.
- your basal levels may be wrong. Have you done any basal testing to ensure your dose of Toujeo is correct?
- your insulin to carb ratio may be wrong.
how is the sugar not relevant. that’s how i know how to make my insulin i always check the sugar one

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
All carbs are converted to sugar not just the ones that start as sugar. So you need to count all carbs.
The only reason people with T1 may note the "of which are sugars" is to get an idea of how fast the carbs will be digested (sugar is digested faster than complex carbs in bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, coatings on chicken nuggets, etc.).
so if the carbs say 17g and the sugars part says 2, it’s 19g carbs i need to consider?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
so if the carbs say 17g and the sugars part says 2, it’s 19g carbs i need to consider?
Hi,
No just the carbs.. (Edit for the.) "17g."
If the "of which is sugars" is seriously snapping at the carb heels.. Then maybe think again on how the insulin profile may benefit the metabolising?

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The 2g of sugars is included in the 17g of carbs (sugar is a type of carb). You only have to count 17g of carbs.
I find it easiest to remember to ignore the “of which is sugar” and just focus on the carbs.

so weird how you guys have taught me all this stuff my diabetic team never did.

Reactions: In Response

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
ever since i’ve been using toujeo in the morning and bedtime, my blood sugars have become muuuuuuch better.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
so weird how you guys have taught me all this stuff my diabetic team never did.

Hopefully, you can find tools to progress with what works for you. & then help share with others in turn with your experience with simalar circumstances..? :)

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hopefully, you can find tools to progress with what works for you. & then help share with others in turn with your experience with simalar circumstances..? :)
I just used the carbs and not sugars to take insulin and now i have a hypo??? what’s going on

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you are calculating your insulin dose based on sugars at the moment, you may need to adjust you insulin to carb ratio. Unfortunately, this takes a bit of trial and error.
i used the 10g rule and just now used the carbs instead of sugar and i’m getting a hypo

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
i used the 10g rule and just now used the carbs instead of sugar and i’m getting a hypo
Please treat your hypo now!

How much more insulin did you take by using the carbs instead of the sugar than you would usually take?

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I assume @ariaxo is referring to 1 unit of insulin for 10g of carbs. This is a common ratio.

You are going low because you have too much insulin. The 1 unit of insulin to 10g of carbs is a common starting point for insulin to carb ratios. If you are going low, that suggests you need to adjust this ratio. We cannot advise what the correct ratio is for you as it different for all of us.

so there’s ratios higher than that?
So would the next on after 1:10 be 1:20?

Last edited:

@rahul

I am 29 years now and suffering from type 1 diabetes from the last 8 years. When I knew that I suffered from diabetes, the doctor provides me tablets-metformin for a month. But it does not help to lower my blood glucose level as per expectation and plan. After that, I used to take insulin (Lantus) through doctor consultation. I have used Lantus up to 5 yrs and I went to consult with a new physician and he diagnosed well. After choosing a new physician he referred me to use -Humalog Mix 50. Now I am using it twice a day, before the meal. But my current A1C is 16.6 mmol/l, which I diagnosed a month ago. Please suggest, how can I lower the A1C within a couple of months. Suggest me with some tips

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I carb count but and find it a guide, rather than an exact science, the 10/1 ratio works for me but only as an average. Different days, meals, times, activities and I adjust up and down.

If I work out a week's worth of data spookily it comes out as 10/1, it seems every so often as if I need a catchup day or two. Either one way or the other.

Vplum

Hi I’m 20 and have beeen diagnosed with T1 diabetes at age 1. I take 23 units fixed insulin because usually I eat high carb meals. And blood sugars are still high, sometimes 8 or 5 though.But if I want to eat a healthy meal, and I do 23 units I get low, if I do 15 units I get high. Carb counting doesn’t even work on me. If a meal is 8.3g , I would take 2 units because carb counting would be 1 unit of insulin for 10g but I’d add another anyway. My blood sugar would shoot it to 17. It would take me injecting 10 units for it to be stable. Which is why it’s soooo hard for me to eat healthier and lose weight. I was eating so clean today and yesterday and got hypos so I binged. How can I change my life and eat healthier when my blood sugars aren’t cooperating? I even measured my food to make sure I accurately get the carbs right but when I use the 10g 1 insulin rule, doesn’t do anything. And I don’t know which fixed dose to use. I’m bad at guessing. And I’m trying to change my life but having type one diabetes is making it very difficult. Wat can I do? Diabetic team aren’t even helping

carb counting makes my blood sugars are high. today i ate a pizza and it was 15g carbs so i take 2 and my blood sugar went up to 20. but fixed insulin isn’t always right and it can go high or low. my diabetes team suck!!!! and i’ve had a lot
I ate 2 slices if white bread for lunch yesterday and 2.5 hrs after eating my BG was 25!!!! If you are eating high carb meals you will spike after eating but if your basel and carb ratio are correct you should start to come down after 2 ish hours. If you eat white bread instead of wholemeal or even 50/50 you will see a higher spike. I have different ratios for different meals so that may also be an option.

Speak to the diabetic nurse and dietician and get yourself on a DAFNE or equivalent course asap.

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My body is actually insulin resistant, I have tried everything at this point. My blood sugars are still so high Its making me feel so depressed