1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

blood sugars are all over the place

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by ariaxo, Aug 21, 2020.

1. ariaxo

ariaxo · Well-Known Member

Ok today my blood sugars have been quite good. If the bad blood sugars come back then I will come back to answer these questions. I think the basal insulin is working

2. ariaxo

how is the sugar not relevant. that’s how i know how to make my insulin i always check the sugar one

3. ariaxo

so if the carbs say 17g and the sugars part says 2, it’s 19g carbs i need to consider?

4. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,
    No just the carbs.. (Edit for the.) "17g."
    If the "of which is sugars" is seriously snapping at the carb heels.. Then maybe think again on how the insulin profile may benefit the metabolising?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ariaxo

so weird how you guys have taught me all this stuff my diabetic team never did.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ariaxo

ever since i’ve been using toujeo in the morning and bedtime, my blood sugars have become muuuuuuch better.

7. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hopefully, you can find tools to progress with what works for you. & then help share with others in turn with your experience with simalar circumstances..? :)

8. ariaxo

I just used the carbs and not sugars to take insulin and now i have a hypo??? what’s going on

9. ariaxo

i used the 10g rule and just now used the carbs instead of sugar and i’m getting a hypo

10. hooner

hooner · Member

you only eat 10 gram of carbs when you low?

11. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Please treat your hypo now!

How much more insulin did you take by using the carbs instead of the sugar than you would usually take?

12. ariaxo

8 more units

13. ariaxo

so there’s ratios higher than that?
    So would the next on after 1:10 be 1:20?

#53 ariaxo, Aug 28, 2020 at 9:25 AM
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  14. ariaxo

15. @rahul

@rahul · Newbie

I am 29 years now and suffering from type 1 diabetes from the last 8 years. When I knew that I suffered from diabetes, the doctor provides me tablets-metformin for a month. But it does not help to lower my blood glucose level as per expectation and plan. After that, I used to take insulin (Lantus) through doctor consultation. I have used Lantus up to 5 yrs and I went to consult with a new physician and he diagnosed well. After choosing a new physician he referred me to use -Humalog Mix 50. Now I am using it twice a day, before the meal. But my current A1C is 16.6 mmol/l, which I diagnosed a month ago. Please suggest, how can I lower the A1C within a couple of months. Suggest me with some tips

16. Richard F

Richard F Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I carb count but and find it a guide, rather than an exact science, the 10/1 ratio works for me but only as an average. Different days, meals, times, activities and I adjust up and down.

If I work out a week's worth of data spookily it comes out as 10/1, it seems every so often as if I need a catchup day or two. Either one way or the other.

17. Vplum

Vplum · Member

I ate 2 slices if white bread for lunch yesterday and 2.5 hrs after eating my BG was 25!!!! If you are eating high carb meals you will spike after eating but if your basel and carb ratio are correct you should start to come down after 2 ish hours. If you eat white bread instead of wholemeal or even 50/50 you will see a higher spike. I have different ratios for different meals so that may also be an option.

Speak to the diabetic nurse and dietician and get yourself on a DAFNE or equivalent course asap.

18. ariaxo

My body is actually insulin resistant, I have tried everything at this point. My blood sugars are still so high Its making me feel so depressed

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook