Controlling with low carb - GP /nurse unimpressed

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was taken off my bydureon, about a decade ago to be fair, and I felt very much that cost was a factor and I only got it back because I used to be on it, again due to cost I felt

Maybe I misinterpreted? But surely removing costly drugs out of patients hands is a good thing? Or maybe in the huge budget £100 a month doesn’t even count

I agree completely but unfortunately the way surgeries are rewarded is by getting people onto medication rather than by removing it.

Reactions: Sad21+

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree completely but unfortunately the way surgeries are rewarded is by getting people onto medication rather than by removing it.
My eyes physically rolled
Well, my surgery is distanced and I am losing the weight. Hopefully they will encourage/support drug changes when this continues

Reactions: Bex72

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My eyes physically rolled
Well, my surgery is distanced and I am losing the weight. Hopefully they will encourage/support drug changes when this continues

Fingers crossed for you.. but taking control of your own health is the way to go ..

You are at the centre of that one rather than the partners' profits.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr David Unwin has repeatedly mentioned how those of his T2 patients who go low carb saved his surgery approx £40,000 in the first year. The money saved was from the budget used to pay for patient medications.

So yes, surgeries (and the NHS as a whole) could see huge benefits and savings from actively supporting low carb, where appropriate, for patients.

The difficulty would be finding surgery staff (docs and nurses) willing to educate and embrace the idea of low carb. This would take a lot more investment of time, and effort than blindly following orthodox medical advice. It is a big transition to become convinced of the benefits of LC, then find out how to use it effectively (food, nutrition, pitfalls, cholesterol, etc.), then get other staff on board, then bring them up to speed, then create systems within the practice to support both patients and staff, then convince the patients of the benefits, and then support them until they get the hang of DIY LC. Not everyone wants to change, is computer literate, and is willing to self educate and self implement.

Reactions: Gannet and Bex72

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Dr David Unwin has repeatedly mentioned how those of his T2 patients who go low carb saved his surgery approx £40,000 in the first year. The money saved was from the budget used to pay for patient medications.

So yes, surgeries (and the NHS as a whole) could see huge benefits and savings from actively supporting low carb, where appropriate, for patients.

The difficulty would be finding surgery staff (docs and nurses) willing to educate and embrace the idea of low carb. This would take a lot more investment of time, and effort than blindly following orthodox medical advice. It is a big transition to become convinced of the benefits of LC, then find out how to use it effectively (food, nutrition, pitfalls, cholesterol, etc.), then get other staff on board, then bring them up to speed, then create systems within the practice to support both patients and staff, then convince the patients of the benefits, and then support them until they get the hang of DIY LC. Not everyone wants to change, is computer literate, and is willing to self educate and self implement.
There are so many mixed messages out there for people new to diabetes and if they are lucky they will find this forum.
I so want the low carb diet to work for me long term and feel that I will be able to do this. To self heal with food rather than disguise what is going on with medication seems ultimately the best option.
I'm feeling benefits from the change in diet already such as: better sleep, stronger nails, less symptoms of menopause, clothes fitting better, less hunger, feeling satisfied with smaller, tastier meals and not feeling the guilt about eating foods that are really unhealthy (such as burgers, crisps, cakes, chips etc).
I would have expected my gp to be pleased that I had stopped the medication, thus saving the practice money. I'll be glad to have the HbA1c blood test in a few weeks so that he realises that I really am managing the diabetes effectively.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
I was due a blood test on Monday for HbA1c and then a follow up with the practice nurse. I have had to postpone as our household are currently self-isolating due to Covid19 symptoms. I am so desperate to show the GP practice that I am doing the right thing. I feel great and have no doubts myself.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was due a blood test on Monday for HbA1c and then a follow up with the practice nurse. I have had to postpone as our household are currently self-isolating due to Covid19 symptoms. I am so desperate to show the GP practice that I am doing the right thing. I feel great and have no doubts myself.

Ah yes, we have just been through the self-isolating while testing for Covid thing.
I have never been so glad to receive a negative test result in my life.
This house is too small for 3 dogs and my husband and I to not even be allowed out for walks for 14 days! lol.

Reactions: Bex72

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ah yes, we have just been through the self-isolating while testing for Covid thing.
I have never been so glad to receive a negative test result in my life.
This house is too small for 3 dogs and my husband and I to not even be allowed out for walks for 14 days! lol.
Gosh, I bet you were relieved. I'm going stir crazy. We have family living with us whilst awaiting finalisation of divorce so we're overcrowded here. 3 of the kids have symptoms. One adult was negative and one of the kids sat beside someone in class who tested positive. I'm hoping it's the usual seasonal germs. I can't wait to get out and walk my friend's dog. Enjoy your freedom x

Reactions: Brunneria
M

Member529656

Just come across this thread, I have personally managed to lose weight and in doing so, have gone to pre diabetic hba. (46) it was 42 using insulin. The doctor was sceptical and the DN finds it amazing. Both are unused to this. I have treated carbohydrates as an allergic trigger and avoided them as a lactose intolerant would avoid milk ! I also adopted a higher protein diet. The only exercise I get is 6_7 miles of dog walking in a day.
Be very sceptical of doctors who seem to follow 'policy recommendations ' rather than treat individual patients as such.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just come across this thread, I have personally managed to lose weight and in doing so, have gone to pre diabetic hba. (46) it was 42 using insulin. The doctor was sceptical and the DN finds it amazing. Both are unused to this. I have treated carbohydrates as an allergic trigger and avoided them as a lactose intolerant would avoid milk ! I also adopted a higher protein diet. The only exercise I get is 6_7 miles of dog walking in a day.
Be very sceptical of doctors who seem to follow 'policy recommendations ' rather than treat individual patients as such.
Hi Crossword puzzler,
I agree with you completely, being able to share experiences on this forum and gain understanding from others has given me confidence in my approach. My husband has joined me going low carb and so has my sister. Between us we've lost 4 stone in weight and are looking and feeling better, correction we all have Covid atm so aren't looking or feeling so good tbh. I treat pasta, rice, potatoes, bread and some sugars as things that my body cannot tolerate.
It is odd that low carb is no secret yet most of our gp practices do not embrace it at all.
Btw, are you cryptic or quick. I don't know that I'll ever master cryptic.

Reactions: Sad21+

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry to read you all suffer from Covid, @Bex72. Hugs and hope you'll feel better soon.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So sorry to read you all suffer from Covid, @Bex72. Hugs and hope you'll feel better soon.
Thanks ziggy_w
I am thankful that none of the 6 of us have any serious complications. My youngest child had the mildest symptoms. It is a bit of a yoyo illness and it is important to rest a lot. Keep safe. xxx