Are you open about diabetes or embarrassed about it?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've always treated my diabetes the same as I have with any other health issues, e.g. my previous chronic migraines. I'm quite happy to let people know I'm T2 if it crops up or when it may be useful or relevant for them to know. If as a result they considered me to have brought it on myself because they thought I was fat/lazy, etc, then that would be their problem not mine. But having said that no one I've talked to so far has ever had that sort of petty ignorant attitude.

Reactions: Brunneria

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I still have some trouble telling people that I have diabetes. It's weird because I have many other conditions too which I don't mind mentioning. But I find the word diabetes to be a dirty word. I'm not sure why. It just sounds unhealthy and weak

So how open are you about it?

I hear you. Back in my youth, it was my mum who'd mention it then I felt like I was treated like a China cup in a bull ring..
People constantly asking if needed something to eat every 5 minutes..

These days? I mention it only when it needs to be mentioned. But in the sense of "if the building collapses in a freak earthquake & you get out alive? Tell the emergency services I'm T1.. That's all you need to concern yerself about. "

To date I haven't been picked up on any inpalements/bloodletting or "alien tech" attached to my arm..
That's the beauty of living in a society preocupied with handheld devices. Even in a restaurant.

Reactions: Goma5 and KK123

Goma5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I still have some trouble telling people that I have diabetes. It's weird because I have many other conditions too which I don't mind mentioning. But I find the word diabetes to be a dirty word. I'm not sure why. It just sounds unhealthy and weak

I know how you feel. Personally hate the word Diabetic - as the label to define you.

It's not embarassing etc.. but I personally prefer not to highlight it. My friends and family etc.. all know and i don't mind talking about it, I also have a libre and inject in public etc.. so i'd never hide it, but at the same time, i think it's mostly a private, personal issue, as health generally is for a lot of people.

Each to their own though and more the power to anyone who wishes to share the knowledge.

Reactions: LaoDan

pamK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After having it for 20yrs i'm always open if the topic comes up don't think there is anything about it to hide

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm very open about it, but then again I'm also open about my mental health issues (Mild/Moderate depression currently under control without meds, some anxiety issues again usually under control but it can rear it's head at any moment) and my Asthma. But my Mum was a Nurse all her working life and was very open about all health issues, I guess I just picked up her attitude

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I am open about it to friends and family.
I wear my pancreas on my belt loop. People often ask what it is.

Reactions: LaoDan

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’ve never had a problem telling people I have diabetes , if they have a problem with it it’s their problem not mine , not like it’s contagious ( mind you I did have someone years ago ask me if they could “ catch it”) . I have never been embarrassed about it , however it’s not something I tell people as soon as I meet them , sort of hello I’m mark I have diabetes, however
In the last 6 years it is probably the first thing that comes up in conversation . I am a below knee amputee and I wear shorts all year round ( and I live in Scotland lol) so when people first meet me they ask how I lost my leg so rather than tell them a shark ate it I tel them I dropped a hammer on my toe and due to having poorly controlled diabetes at the time I lost my leg ,
It’s a long way round of saying no I Dinny get embarrassed .
Be safe , power to the “ jabbers”

Reactions: Antje77

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I’ve never had a problem telling people I have diabetes , if they have a problem with it it’s their problem not mine , not like it’s contagious ( mind you I did have someone years ago ask me if they could “ catch it”) . I have never been embarrassed about it , however it’s not something I tell people as soon as I meet them , sort of hello I’m mark I have diabetes, however
In the last 6 years it is probably the first thing that comes up in conversation . I am a below knee amputee and I wear shorts all year round ( and I live in Scotland lol) so when people first meet me they ask how I lost my leg so rather than tell them a shark ate it I tel them I dropped a hammer on my toe and due to having poorly controlled diabetes at the time I lost my leg ,
It’s a long way round of saying no I Dinny get embarrassed .
Be safe , power to the “ jabbers”

I would be telling everyone it was a shark attack :)

Pam R

I am T1 and was diagnosed at 74 years of age! I let everyone know. It’s not just a young person’s illness. I have shown all my immediate family how to do the finger prick test and how to administer my insulin. They need to know to keep me safe!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am T1 and was diagnosed at 74 years of age! I let everyone know. It’s not just a young person’s illness. I have shown all my immediate family how to do the finger prick test and how to administer my insulin. They need to know to keep me safe!

Wow Pam, you must be one of the oldest at diagnosis? I wonder how long it was lurking there, how did you come to be diagnosed if you don't mind me asking. x

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes kind of embarrassed, never told people at work but more open with good friends. Had some serious hypos at work but I'm going back to 20+ years ago, sometimes these were intensely shameful.. and i mean shame rather than embarrassed. Game of Thrones style. however at the same time I've not given a hoot about injecting openly for more than 30 years in the street etc. (When done with some subtlety) I just give the evil eye to anybody who looks critical, works for me in oxford street, planes trains and automobiles... (didn't work so well in macdonalds one time) so for me its a bit raw when telling those i know reasonably well at work or socially because i don't like attention, , and it needs some opening up on the emotional stuff as well as the mechanical calculations etc. I did send a really good “This is what it takes” story to some friends once (found here) to try to explain, but not sure it worked so well. However it did help me to rationalise my own thoughts... happy to share that....

Reactions: Carbs4life

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes kind of embarrassed, never told people at work but more open with good friends. Had some serious hypos at work but I'm going back to 20+ years ago, sometimes these were intensely shameful.. and i mean shame rather than embarrassed. Game of Thrones style. however at the same time I've not given a hoot about injecting openly for more than 30 years in the street etc. (When done with some subtlety) I just give the evil eye to anybody who looks critical, works for me in oxford street, planes trains and automobiles... (didn't work so well in macdonalds one time) so for me its a bit raw when telling those i know reasonably well at work or socially because i don't like attention, , and it needs some opening up on the emotional stuff as well as the mechanical calculations etc. I did send a really good “This is what it takes” story to some friends once (found here) to try to explain, but not sure it worked so well. However it did help me to rationalise my own thoughts... happy to share that....

aparsonsmoore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having just been diagnosed and a school teacher, I have been open about it. Most people are shocked that I have the condition as I have started cycling a lot and look much thinner and healthier. This often results in comments like, "I wish I was on your diet", at which point I suggest that might not be a great idea! However, I do understand that in saying your diabetic it can come with a stigma. I have an equal number of people telling me that I shouldn't be diabetic because it only impacts certain types of people.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I would be telling everyone it was a shark attack :)
I do tell children sometimes when they ask or the old crocodile one works too, I’m tending to go with transformers or anyth8ng robot orientated these days lol

Reactions: Ian zero

Also feel the same. I told my gym class for the first time after a year and a half of going only yesterday. I feel somehow damaged or incomplete

Having just been diagnosed and a school teacher, I have been open about it. Most people are shocked that I have the condition as I have started cycling a lot and look much thinner and healthier. This often results in comments like, "I wish I was on your diet", at which point I suggest that might not be a great idea! However, I do understand that in saying your diabetic it can come with a stigma. I have an equal number of people telling me that I shouldn't be diabetic because it only impacts certain types of people.

I have the same comments because I’m also thinner and healthier now than before diagnosis. I was diagnosed at 27 so it’s been hard to accept the drastic change in everything

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't shout it from the rooftops but through time I have told my close family, friends and colleagues, it took me a little while myself to get used to it and to be honest most people have their own problems so don't bother about me too much. I have also given advice to a few who have asked for it who have been pre-diabetic.

Reactions: Ian zero

MarkHaZ123

I'm just open about it. I just tell people if something might be a challenge because of it. I take my injections in front of people and just get on with things as normal.
If anyone was to moan about me injecting in front of them I'd just tell them straight where to go.

My parents are a little unsure on things so just question me now and again. As does my partners parents so I end up in discussions about it.