Vitamins & blood sugar

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I have been taking b12 and vitD along with magnesium and potassium, and my question is, can it effect my diabetes medication if i take altogether because my blood sugar was dropping after 3 hours and now its staying around 8-9mmol i probably might try without the vitamin supplements and see if any difference but was wondering if that could keep blood sugars up.

Oh i also have a sore throat and i am probably guessing maybe that's why its staying higher than usual.

Its only been 2 days with my sore throat so i will probably watch whether it is due to that.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Are you taking potassium for a low level? In other words, has your doctor advised this?

VitD can have an effect on insulin sensitivity, but you don't mention how much you are taking? When taken with insulin it seems to make the insulin more effective at lowering levels is what I have found.

Hope the sore throat is nothing.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you taking potassium for a low level? In other words, has your doctor advised this?

VitD can have an effect on insulin sensitivity, but you don't mention how much you are taking? When taken with insulin it seems to make the insulin more effective at lowering levels is what I have found.

I second the need for Potassium should only be undertaken with doctor supervision since hyperkalemia is harmful and potentially lethal.

The taking of B12 and D3 is also only needed if you are deficient. Typically it is advised for anyone using a Plant Based diet since these are not easily sourced from it, Also may be necessary for those of us using Metformin long term since Met can block absorption from food.

Magnesium is used by our cells to metabolise the glucose from the blood, and is essential, but most western style diets will include sufficient, and deficiencies are not common. Supplementation only has an effect if there is deficiency, and normally we excrete excess naturally - may be able to save money there. Magnesium would drop bgl levels, not raise them. Magnesium Supplements should be the chelated form of magnesium and many commercial products are not in a form to be absorbed by us anyway.

I suspect the cold as being the cause of higher than usual bgl, since most of those in your list would tend to lower the sugar levels, not raise them. Infections and inflammations and stress tends to raise adrenaline levels, and this increases Insulin Resistance by blocking insulin from storing glucose away in the body so it remains in the blood.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Potassium i have only just started, due to reading it could help with sleep. VitD i was deficiency in vitD so i take 4,000IU a day. & b12 i was told if i take metformin to also supplement with b12,

& as far as my sore throat i hope it clears soon :(

Reactions: Tophat1900

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I second the need for Potassium should only be undertaken with doctor supervision since hyperkalemia is harmful and potentially lethal.

The taking of B12 and D3 is also only needed if you are deficient. Typically it is advised for anyone using a Plant Based diet since these are not easily sourced from it, Also may be necessary for those of us using Metformin long term since Met can block absorption from food.

Magnesium is used by our cells to metabolise the glucose from the blood, and is essential, but most western style diets will include sufficient, and deficiencies are not common. Supplementation only has an effect if there is deficiency, and normally we excrete excess naturally - may be able to save money there. Magnesium would drop bgl levels, not raise them. Magnesium Supplements should be the chelated form of magnesium and many commercial products are not in a form to be absorbed by us anyway.

I suspect the cold as being the cause of higher than usual bgl, since most of those in your list would tend to lower the sugar levels, not raise them. Infections and inflammations and stress tends to raise adrenaline levels, and this increases Insulin Resistance by blocking insulin from storing glucose away in the body so it remains in the blood.

Thats a lot of information, thank you.

I will add
I only take 4,000IU VitD
1 tablet off potassium 99mg
1 tablet of b12 1,000MG
1 tablet magnesium 250mg before bed

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I will add
I only take 4,000IU VitD
1 tablet of b12 1,000MG
The B12 supp should be accompanied by Vit C to help it work.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The B12 supp should be accompanied by Vit C to help it work.

I didnt know that, thamk you!

Is it ok to take the supplement with the metformin or should i take it without the metformin? I have been taking all my medication at once but now im starting to think maybe not to mix medication with supplements

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didnt know that, thamk you!

Is it ok to take the supplement with the metformin or should i take it without the metformin? I have been taking all my medication at once but now im starting to think maybe not to mix medication with supplements
https://www.empoweryourhealth.org/m...min_be_paired_with_a_vitamin_b12_prescription

Metformin probably does not block an oral supplement on the way in, and the B12 tablet is actually overkill so probably still gets enough absorbed. However, it may make sense to separate them since Metformin does form a cellulose sponge in the intestine to absorb sugar (often referred to as its matrix) which may get in the way. Why not move the B12 to pair with the magnesium?

Last edited:

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://www.empoweryourhealth.org/m...min_be_paired_with_a_vitamin_b12_prescription

Metformin probably does not block an oral supplement on the way in, and the B12 tablet is actually overkill so probably still gets enough absorbed. However, it may make sense to separate them since Metformin does form a cellulose sponge in the intestine to absorb sugar (often referred to as its matrix) which may get in the way. Why not move the B12 to pair with the magnesium?

I will try that, i will try the vitamin C too. I will take that with my evening meal.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Potassium i have only just started, due to reading it could help with sleep. VitD i was deficiency in vitD so i take 4,000IU a day. & b12 i was told if i take metformin to also supplement with b12,

& as far as my sore throat i hope it clears soon :(

I'd get those levels for potassium and VitD checked, no point taking somethings if you are at a good level and taking potassium is risky if you are not deficient... plus why spend money on some things if you don't need to?

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd get those levels for potassium and VitD checked, no point taking somethings if you are at a good level and taking potassium is risky if you are not deficient... plus why spend money on some things if you don't need to?

I have been vitaminD deficient for a long time so thats why i supplement on that, & potassium i only take because i read we should aim to intake 4600mg a day but i doubt i or anyone gets that much but maybe ill get that checked.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
UsmanMo, please check the Vit B12 you are taking. If it contains Biotin (B7), then you may have to stop taking it a few days before any blood tests, as fr some tests biotin reacts with the assay.

If you Google "Biotin Assay Disruption" you should find some excellent information.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I have been vitaminD deficient for a long time so thats why i supplement on that, & potassium i only take because i read we should aim to intake 4600mg a day but i doubt i or anyone gets that much but maybe ill get that checked.

I supplement with D also, if I don't I become deficient rather quickly.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I will add
I only take 4,000IU VitD
1 tablet of b12 1,000MG

If you are only taking 99mg of Potassium, then that is somewhere around 2% of your recommended amount.
Chances of hypercalemia are zilch at that level.
Hypercalaemia is usually only a concern for people taking certain 'potassium sparing' medications and those with kidney disease.

Have a look at the link I attach below.
It lists various common foods containing potassium. You are the best person to decide whether your diet contains enough of these to meet the recommended daily amount - many people don't.
https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Potassium-HealthProfessional/#h4

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are only taking 99mg of Potassium, then that is somewhere around 2% of your recommended amount.
Hypercalaemia is usually only a concern for people taking certain 'potassium sparing' medications and those with kidney disease.

It lists various common foods containing potassium. You are the best person to decide whether your diet contains enough of these to meet the recommended daily amount - many people don't.
I would add people using Lo Salt or similar products. Also many of the heart medications seem to have warnings about causing potassium levels to rise. I was put on one of these and ended up in A&E Some diuretics can make the problem worse as can some BP meds.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/should-i-take-a-potassium-supplement

But yes, 99 mg is not a major dose compared to your RDA

Reactions: UsmanMo96

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
UsmanMo, please check the Vit B12 you are taking. If it contains Biotin (B7), then you may have to stop taking it a few days before any blood tests, as fr some tests biotin reacts with the assay.

If you Google "Biotin Assay Disruption" you should find some excellent information.

I’m learning news things and I appreciate everyone replies I will definitely check the box, I haven’t had my hba1c checked for 5 months now so I won’t be having any blood test any sooner, :)

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I know, when I checked that daily recommendation is 4,600 I was shocked that’s like 20 bannanas and I can’t be having that many because my blood sugars would go high but I will look into it and find out what foods contain lots of potassium and then I will try get close to the recommend intake

Reactions: Brunneria

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I supplement with D also, if I don't I become deficient rather quickly.

same here I was really low and I haven’t had it checked again but will check my levels again soon to see if I’m within range

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I know, when I checked that daily recommendation is 4,600 I was shocked that’s like 20 bannanas and I can’t be having that many because my blood sugars would go high but I will look into it and find out what foods contain lots of potassium and then I will try get close to the recommend intake
Avocados have more potassium than bananas, I shoot for 1 medium size in a smoothie every day.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Avocados have more potassium than bananas, I shoot for 1 medium size in a smoothie every day.

Mushrooms are a great source and of course, meats!.... you know, the stuff that will kill you according to some flimsy research... lol

Reactions: LaoDan and Flora123