SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all,
I'm just wondering if anyone is in the same situation as me regarding driving licence renewal?
I posted off my renewal form and the reply from DVLA was I needed a medical examination before a new licence is issued. Because of Covid there's a delay of DVLA organising an appointment. I thought this weird as I can get an appointment at my surgery.
I phoned the DVLA to confirm they would do the organising of the appointment, correct but they couldn't say when it would be.
They said that I needed to let my doctor know I was fit to drive according to the criteria in the Road Traffic act section 88.
I found this odd, and don't know whether the doctor decides if I'm fit to drive or I just tell him.
My licence runs out 2nd Oct. I did learn that if I am fit to drive, I can do so even if my licence has run out
Thoughts anyone please?

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Morning all,
I'm just wondering if anyone is in the same situation as me regarding driving licence renewal?
I posted off my renewal form and the reply from DVLA was I needed a medical examination before a new licence is issued. Because of Covid there's a delay of DVLA organising an appointment. I thought this weird as I can get an appointment at my surgery.
I phoned the DVLA to confirm they would do the organising of the appointment, correct but they couldn't say when it would be.
They said that I needed to let my doctor know I was fit to drive according to the criteria in the Road Traffic act section 88.
I found this odd, and don't know whether the doctor decides if I'm fit to drive or I just tell him.
My licence runs out 2nd Oct. I did learn that if I am fit to drive, I can do so even if my licence has run out
Thoughts anyone please?
Hi @SueJB 5 years ago I had to wait 13 months over the due date before a licence was issued "Because of the backlog" at DVLA. Like in your case, I contacted them after becoming concerned that I had not had any sign of getting a licence in time, and they sent me a letter which I kept in the glovebox at all times. I had a breakdown half a mile from my house and a traffic policewoman had never seen such a letter and phoned her Station. I was allowed to drive for over a year without a valid licence. Personally I would ask your doctor for a covering letter and keep it with the DVLA one. Being highly suspicious of all these things I kept spare copies at home. Enjoy some freedom!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m in the same boat, Sue. I have to renew mine annually, and returned the stuff they sent me in good time for the July expiry date. I had a letter to say I need to see a DVLA doctor but that would be months. The DVLA website states that licences that expire between February and December 2020 would be automatically extended for 11 months, so I’m covered by that.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How does this work for hiring cars etc?
Probably a right royal pain in the backside, I’d imagine. My employers just have accepted mine, we have to resubmit our licence every year.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi @SueJB 5 years ago I had to wait 13 months over the due date before a licence was issued "Because of the backlog" at DVLA. Like in your case, I contacted them after becoming concerned that I had not had any sign of getting a licence in time, and they sent me a letter which I kept in the glovebox at all times. I had a breakdown half a mile from my house and a traffic policewoman had never seen such a letter and phoned her Station. I was allowed to drive for over a year without a valid licence. Personally I would ask your doctor for a covering letter and keep it with the DVLA one. Being highly suspicious of all these things I kept spare copies at home. Enjoy some freedom!
Thanks @Grant_Vicat that's reassuring a very informative and thanks too @LooperCat I'll try and stop worrying now. I couldn't find any info about the licence being extended. If that's the case, will they send you a new one?

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in the middle of the same thing... two days before my medical, the covid lockdown kicked in with all appointments cancelled. Still waiting for the surgery to resume normal service.

I did go belt and braces, to cover myself, and, following the advice on the DVLA letter, phoned them to inform them. The person I spoke to noted the cancellation on their files.

I've since been stopped the police and they examined my licence without comment.