Feeling shakey at 6

WilliamRufus

I have been type 2 with insulin for 25 years. I usually sit around 7.5 in the morning. For 12 weeks I've adopted a low carb diet and will often show 5. Below 6 I begin to feel shakey and hot. Is it possible my lower level could be higher than recommended? Thanks.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there and welcome to the forum

It’s likely that you’re experiencing ‘false hypo’ where your body is reacting to blood sugars being lower than usual. It should settle.

Are you getting support with adjusting your insulin dosage as your sugars lower? I’d think that’d be important.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been type 2 with insulin for 25 years. I usually sit around 7.5 in the morning. For 12 weeks I've adopted a low carb diet and will often show 5. Below 6 I begin to feel shakey and hot. Is it possible my lower level could be higher than recommended? Thanks.

Hello,

Welcome to the forum.

What insulin/s are you prescribed? Are there any other oral meds too?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A low carb diet is very effective in normalizing type two for me - your long established need for injecting insulin might now be reducing to some extent as the speed at which your BG reduces might be the problem, rather than the actual number. With the lower carbs you just don't need the same amount of insulin, and it is acting like an overcorrection.
I don't need insulin so can't advise from experience, but I have read of a fair few people who have found the same sort of thing happening and have made their own adjustments according to altered needs.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At the moment I test before each meal and two hours after. I think I'm anxious about going too low. The low carbs have made a real difference.

That's great.
I'm just trying to work out where you could be dropping down from & how long you may have been up there to give you the hypo feelings/syptoms in the respectable range?
You seem to be on a short acting insulin for meals, but I'm wondering if there maybe too much of a "roller coaster" with your BGs, especially if the timing of the dose you have taken is off with the digestion of what you have eaten?

Purely supposition, based my personal experience with insulin. (On MDI.)

WilliamRufus

Hi this is helpful, the timing is often a issue for me unless I take the insulin 15 minutes before I eat it doesn't seem as effective. Then as you say I roller coastier. I also have periods where it almost seems my natural system starts working again and all my levels are "normal". Thanks everyone