Celebrating My Lifestyle Change

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
best thing of low carb is it's gone and it stays gone. give me 1kg of "never to be seen again" fat over any other value.

100%/ Especially for me - a one-time yo yo dieter determined to be more stable this time around.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
more stable this time around
it's a game changer. both in a health sense and a psychological sense. that isn't x kg you've lost that's x kg that's gone for ever. anyone who's struggled with weight management will understand quite how powerful that is.

Reactions: RosieMaxwell

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone! I just wanted to celebrate my lifestyle change today on the forum that really helped me make it.

<snip>
BUT this time I feel like it's different because I NEVER knew carbs were the cause! When I dieted before it was usually some form of WW and I just restricted and restricted and I'm very disciplined so I did it for long enough to lose all the weight but I was hungry ALL the time so inevitably I lost control once losing weight stopped becoming important.

With my current low carb diet I genuinely do not feel hungry through the day. That's not to say I don't occasionally boredom-eat (hello Friday night Netflix sessions) but it's nothing like as bad as it used to be and I tend to snack on Seaweed or Pork Puffs - both of which are low or 0 carbs. I'm just so happy that I found this out. I hope that when I reach goal, it'll be easier to maintain because even if I let loose for special occasions, I will always control my carb intake.

Anyway NONE of this would have been possible without this amazing forum, so thank you!
Brilliant Rosie, well done! Your experience with how low carb is a better type of diet is not unusual, and highlights how bizarre and even cruel the current official obsession with "Eat less, Move more" low fat high carb can be. Glad you discovered low carb and this forum! :)

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now that Boris is launching all these policies against obesity I feel it will only get worse. Already seeing that they’re going to be “prescribing” weight watchers to people ‍♀️

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4 week weigh in day! Another 4.8kg down. That takes me to 37.7kg lost in total.

Feels like I’m CRAWLING towards first target loss of 50kg but hey, at least I’m moving!

Had a blood test yesterday also that I’m weirdly nervous about. It was mainly to check for vitamin deficiencies bc I am losing a lot of hair on this diet.

But should also be getting HbA1c results in the next couple of days and that’s what I’m really nervous about.

Reactions: Serena51

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good that you have had blood test to rule out other causes of hair loss, @RosieMaxwell.
It is possibly due to your weight loss though, and if so, will resolve when weight stabilises.
https://www.bad.org.uk/for-the-public/patient-information-leaflets/telogen-effluvium/?showmore=1&returnlink=http://www.bad.org.uk/for-the-public/patient-information-leaflets#.Xz6OhS14Wf0

Thank for sharing this. I hope it’s just part of the loss and will resolve itself when I stop. But doc seemed to want to rule things out and I wasn’t going to object. He seems like a really nice doc actually - hope I always see him!

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you getting adequate protein? Just a thought... (I take multi-vitamins and minerals)

I think so? I basically eat a portion of meat and a portion of veg for each meal (lunch and dinner). In between I snack on pork puffs or salami if anything. So it’s all primarily protein...

Started taking multi vitamins a couple of weeks ago but haven’t noticed any change yet.

Reactions: Serena51

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank for sharing this. I hope it’s just part of the loss and will resolve itself when I stop. But doc seemed to want to rule things out and I wasn’t going to object. He seems like a really nice doc actually - hope I always see him!
I had hair loss after huge weight loss. It did panic me a bit, as I have thick wavy hair.
It did grow back..

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had hair loss after huge weight loss. It did panic me a bit, as I have thick wavy hair.
It did grow back..
This is encouraging. Paws crossed I have the same experience as you!

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think so? I basically eat a portion of meat and a portion of veg for each meal (lunch and dinner). In between I snack on pork puffs or salami if anything. So it’s all primarily protein...

Started taking multi vitamins a couple of weeks ago but haven’t noticed any change yet.
Sounds like adequate protein. Well done on the great weight loss! :)

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Latest 4 week weigh in. 4.5kg down - taking my total to 42.2kg lost.

I can see a slight slowing down of the rate of loss. From over 5.5kg a month to now 4.5kg a month. Still it’s going pretty well - and to be honest I ate pretty badly over the last week due to stress. (If you’ve read my posts on other threads, my parents were both hospitalised with COVID.)

I’m hopeful of hitting a 50kg weight loss by November. That’s the first goal and it’s approx 7.8kg away (though getting to 49kg will take me into the healthy BMI category so that will be something to celebrate too.)

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Latest 4 week weigh in. 4.5kg down - taking my total to 42.2kg lost.

I can see a slight slowing down of the rate of loss. From over 5.5kg a month to now 4.5kg a month. Still it’s going pretty well - and to be honest I ate pretty badly over the last week due to stress. (If you’ve read my posts on other threads, my parents were both hospitalised with COVID.)

I’m hopeful of hitting a 50kg weight loss by November. That’s the first goal and it’s approx 7.8kg away (though getting to 49kg will take me into the healthy BMI category so that will be something to celebrate too.)
Sorry to hear about your parents being hospitalised with COVID. Congratulations on continuing to lose weight, though, and for essentially sticking with the diet!

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys, missed my monthly update last week as I hit a bit of a stall. Weigh in today shows 4.7kg lost but over 5 weeks not 4. That brings total lost to 46.9kg.

I don’t know why but the slowdown seems REALLY annoying even though obviously - what difference does a week really make? I’m pretty close to goal 1: 50kg loss which will take me to a healthy weight. Still hoping beyond hope that my next update at the 3 week mark - Nov 12th - will have me there.

To anyone else out there on a weight loss journey or having got through one - I know plateaus happen! Slowdowns happen! I wish I knew how to not be so disappointed by them. Any words of wisdom?