Hypo or hyper -- which is better

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
In my experience, hyperglycemia (not more than 12 for example) feels much healthier than hypoglycemia (e.g. 7 and under). Perhaps that has something to do with age, or other medications interacting.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my experience, hyperglycemia (not more than 12 for example) feels much healthier than hypoglycemia (e.g. 7 and under). Perhaps that has something to do with age, or other medications interacting.

High blood sugar and low blood sugar can both be dangerous i wouldn't think any is better -

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hypoglycaemia is classed as under 3.8 and is dangerous if not treated there and then (if using insulin or blood glucose lowering meds)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally they both make me feel bad. If they make me feel bad they cannot be good for me.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Got to agree with @becca59 both make me feel like ****. Either one is not good in my opinion , the only thing I will say if you leave a low blood sugar without treatment you’ll be in hospital within the hour , if you don’t treat a high blood sugar it could take a lot longer over. 2 weeks and you will feel like total ****, remember when I was first diagnosed, it’s a well known fact that high bs increases the risk of complications and there is a train of thought that hypos damage brain cells quicker than normal, guess the choice is the lesser of two evils , probably better to keep bs within a good range
Stay safe
“ winter is coming”

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

BGs;
It's a little like alcohol or certain "substances." There is a tolerance build up that feels uncomfortable when when not at the level of "tolerance." However, like any form of substance. In the long term. It will not do the body any favours.

Between 4.8 & 7.8 is the "zone." not great for me if anything drifting above. Anything below 3.5 is trippy. However. I sorta have always felt "cleansed?" After coming back up without overshooting out of a low..
Oddly, a friend's T1 10 year old years back said to her mum, "a low felt like Christmas."
Being a T1 as a kid. I sorta get what she meant.. After explaining to her mum a few other nuances she might miss with her kid..

Staying as much as you can within normal healthy range, is advisable..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you usually run between 7 and 12 mmol/l even with the meds you are taking?
What are you eating?

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Anniya84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Food that is killing me slowly
I guess I take hypo over hyper any day. At least when I'm feeling jittery and confused on a hypo, I can eat something and feel better in minutes. With a hyper, I am always too hot, just want to sleep and for everyone to leave me alone. And it takes ages to feel better! But I have to agree with the comments above, it's definitely best to stay in the 'normal' range!