Depressed and stressed out (possible lada)

type2_2020

So here's the background info on my situation.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...etes-team-wont-take-me-off-of-insulin.175527/

So 2 weeks ago the results from the c-peptide test came back as low. But when i took the test months ago I was on a tight insulin regime. It's been 2 months now I've stopped injecting insulin and my low carb diet has loss me quite a lot of weight. I enjoy my low carb lifestyle and would have a treat once in a while but never spike when I do.

Since getting my results and being told I have LADA has been stressful and hard to come to terms with. My GAD test showed no anti-bodies and I do not have any symptoms of T1 or T1.5. I've just requested a ICA test so I can be certain it is LADA but I think my diabetes doctor always suspected T1 and I had to force them to do a c-peptide test so I can have an idea of what is going on, after advice from the group.

My DN is already talking about libres and CGMs etc. Scary for me, I hated injecting insulin 4 times a day. But the diabetes team have sent me 2 letters stating I must go back on insulin asap. But my levels are not spiking or not in range, they always seem to be consistent even if I have carbs.

I've been told i'm in my honeymoon period and it won't last by my DN and LADA doesn't define me and I can have a full life expectancy etc...

But deep down I think I'm type 2 as I fit that profile and everything that works for a t2 is working for me. I'm really gutted I was working so hard to reach remission, feels like it was all for nothing.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there - some with LADA/adult diagnosed T1/T1.5 and such likes have quite extended honeymoon periods.

We have a member here, @Ian DP who really stretched his honeymoon for a loooong time. I woder if this thread might be an interesting read for you: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/can-i-prove-the-drs-wrong.53061/

There seem to be varying view on when it's best to start using insulin, but that feels like a discussion you should be having with your team. From memory, @Ian DP had insulin in his fridge for some time, prior to needing it regularly.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

That sounds really tough. It must feel very frustrating to feel that your efforts were in vain- but actually if they can help stretch your honeymoon period that is a good thing.

I don't have an advice for you but offer a virtual hug and a listen ear (well reading eye I guess but you know what I mean0

Take care.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
But deep down I think I'm type 2 as I fit that profile and everything that works for a t2 is working for me. I'm really gutted I was working so hard to reach remission, feels like it was all for nothing.

T2s are insulin resistant, so produce a lot of insulin for a small amount of carbs. A low c-peptide isn't really consistent with T2, unless you've been T2 so long that your insulin production had been affected (and then you'd really need insulin injections). Having said that, I've just reread your previous thread and I guess it isn't impossible that you are T2, just that the c-peptide result makes it much less likely.

LADAs can keep producing insulin for a long time, so reducing carbs can put them into temporary remission just because the amount of insulin they need is reduced to the amount they produce. Some doctors seem to like to start LADAs on a small amount of insulin from the beginning, others wait till they really need it, but as @DCUKMod said, that should be a discussion you have with your team.

An issue here is that you went into DKA, and could have died. Yes, DKA is that dangerous. So your diabetic team don't want to risk that happening again. If your insulin production suddenly drops further, you could go into DKA again very quickly.

But all your hard work certainly wasn't for nothing. The weight loss and normalisation of your blood sugars will help you whether you are T1 or T2. And the low carb diet means that you're already in the right frame of mind to carb count when and if you need to.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So here's the background info on my situation.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...etes-team-wont-take-me-off-of-insulin.175527/

So 2 weeks ago the results from the c-peptide test came back as low. But when i took the test months ago I was on a tight insulin regime. It's been 2 months now I've stopped injecting insulin and my low carb diet has loss me quite a lot of weight. I enjoy my low carb lifestyle and would have a treat once in a while but never spike when I do.

Since getting my results and being told I have LADA has been stressful and hard to come to terms with. My GAD test showed no anti-bodies and I do not have any symptoms of T1 or T1.5. I've just requested a ICA test so I can be certain it is LADA but I think my diabetes doctor always suspected T1 and I had to force them to do a c-peptide test so I can have an idea of what is going on, after advice from the group.

My DN is already talking about libres and CGMs etc. Scary for me, I hated injecting insulin 4 times a day. But the diabetes team have sent me 2 letters stating I must go back on insulin asap. But my levels are not spiking or not in range, they always seem to be consistent even if I have carbs.

I've been told i'm in my honeymoon period and it won't last by my DN and LADA doesn't define me and I can have a full life expectancy etc...

Hi I am LADA also and my honeymoon view phase lasted a year and then I started taking slow releasing insulin in 2017 my c peptic test showed i was producing insulin but not enough, and this year in April i added fast reacting insulin to my regime, my nurse says my pancreas has been working hard for such a long time it's now tired hence the insulin, I do not produce enough to keep my body going and what little I do produce lends itself to a illness or infection i may have it leaving none to keep my body working this the insulin is my saviour when ill