Nightmares and BG...and Garlic.

Daz007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Apple pie and custard.
I was wondering if bad dreams, nightmares, night terrors, if they would cause a high BG in a morning?

I realise that BG will be high in a morning often anyways, but wondered if the above could make matters worse? I have regular nightmares relating to my parents, long story. However I found eating a clove of garlic before bed stops them, or stops me remembering the dreams. Not a ideal solution when I have a partner tho lol, unless she likes garlic... or puts a pillow over my face.

Maybe the myth about garlic and evil spirits has some basis in truth then.

Will a small garlic Clove effect the BG?... It kinda stings the mouth if you consider trying it. At your own risk!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Are you dreaming about vampires?

I know some people have nightmares or very dramatic dreams with low levels.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yes, broken nights (for any reason), vivid dreams and nightmares really do affect my FBG.

I've not heard about raw garlic helping with nightmares before though! Interesting. Is it something that was recommended to you or did you find out about it by experimenting?

Fizzy1408

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was wondering if bad dreams, nightmares, night terrors, if they would cause a high BG in a morning?

I realise that BG will be high in a morning often anyways, but wondered if the above could make matters worse? I have regular nightmares relating to my parents, long story. However I found eating a clove of garlic before bed stops them, or stops me remembering the dreams. Not a ideal solution when I have a partner tho lol, unless she likes garlic... or puts a pillow over my face.

Will a small garlic Clove effect the BG?... It kinda stings the mouth if you consider trying it. At your own risk!

It’s possible there could be a link with BG and nightmares, although I don’t know of any studies made. As for the garlic, it’s probably just psychosomatic, but hey, if it works for you, who am I to judge. I would say though that myths and evil spirits, are just that - myths.

Daz007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Apple pie and custard.
Thank you for the replies.

@Tophat1900 My nightmares, on the surface are pretty tame, not of vampires. Its me asking my mum as a kid, if she loves me? Sounds lame I know, but it hurts me big time, my Mum was a lovely woman to those that knew her, but an emotional and scary bully to me from a very young age (toddler). She would brag about me to her friends but then in private and in secret treat me like a dog...I was terrified of her walking in the room as a kid, but I thought it was normal growing up. She did a fantastic act at being timid and vulnerable, Oscar winning lol.

@Chook I was having garlic late at night for health reasons and noticed having pleasant dreams, it was accidental.:)

@Fizzy1408 Evil spirits are real, my Mum had an evil spirit in the psychological/personality sense, a very well hidden one. Drink and drugs not involved here, but she was abused sexually by her Dad, which I think may be a cause but not an excuse.

Fizzy1408

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the replies.

@Tophat1900 My nightmares, on the surface are pretty tame, not of vampires. Its me asking my mum as a kid, if she loves me? Sounds lame I know, but it hurts me big time, my Mum was a lovely woman to those that knew her, but an emotional and scary bully to me from a very young age (toddler). She would brag about me to her friends but then in private and in secret treat me like a dog...I was terrified of her walking in the room as a kid, but I thought it was normal growing up. She did a fantastic act at being timid and vulnerable, Oscar winning lol.

@Chook I was having garlic late at night for health reasons and noticed having pleasant dreams, it was accidental.:)

@Fizzy1408 Evil spirits are real, my Mum had an evil spirit in the psychological/personality sense, a very well hidden one. Drink and drugs not involved here, but she was abused sexually by her Dad, which I think may be a cause but not an excuse.

Yes, I meant the link between evil spirits and garlic was a myth, sorry I worded that wrongly. I know there are evil spirits.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I've suffered nightmares since '91. Turns out there's a bit of a problem with my brain not switching off, part of it seems to remain awake. And yes, the worse or more vivid the nightmares, the worse my blood sugars. Stress can trigger a response from the liver which then dumps glucose, which may be what's going on.

Recently I've started sleeping better with a weighted blanket. (Yes, I am aware that I am typing this at 4 in the morning, but a migraine woke me, not the nightmares. ;) ) Might want to give that a try too, could be a less smelly solution. And maybe garlic supplements would work? Less smelly, but if raw cloves work for you, go for it. They won't harm your BG. :)

Daz007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Apple pie and custard.
@JoKalsbeek what's a weighted blanket??

I think a raw garlic clove will work better than supplements, unless you are sleeping with a partner. It's pretty vindaloo with the burn lol. Will you let me know if it helps please.

I had periods years ago, when I had sleep paralysis, awake but unable to move. The same switch you mention. Hope you can sort it out.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@JoKalsbeek what's a weighted blanket??

I think a raw garlic clove will work better than supplements, unless you are sleeping with a partner. It's pretty vindaloo with the burn lol. Will you let me know if it helps please.

I had periods years ago, when I had sleep paralysis, awake but unable to move. The same switch you mention. Hope you can sort it out.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07T8JM...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU= This is an example, mind you... Mine's fluffy and 15 pounds, which is as close to 10% body weight as I could get. That is HEAVY when you want to turn over or visit the loo at night, but I'm not lying awake for hours anymore. I actually get sleepy, which is new. Reduces stress hormone output, ups the melatonin and serotonin levels, apparently. I haven't had night terrors in a few weeks by the way, so can't comment on those... Could be I just haven't had them, so can't say as yet whether that's due to the blanket. Garlic supplements didn't to much of anything for me, I took them with my breakfast though for cholesterol reasons. Gave that up when my cholesterol was fine.

Daz007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Apple pie and custard.
I'm tempted to try one of those blankets, but would worry I would feel pinned down.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm tempted to try one of those blankets, but would worry I would feel pinned down.
I'm claustrophobic, tend to feel cornered, and I worried about the same thing. It was weird for about 5 minutes, then I was fast asleep. That's why I didn't go for one of the really expensive ones... Thought it was worth a go, not an arm and a leg.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How about eating some parsley with your garlic, it's supposed to negate the stinky breath effects.

Daz007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Apple pie and custard.
How about eating some parsley with your garlic, it's supposed to negate the stinky breath effects.

Im single at the moment (due to bad breath, hehe) I may try the parsley thank you, but probably wont risk garlic at all, on a night of wild passion. ;)

Fizzy1408

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I have one of those blankets, and they are quite heavy! I did feel pinned down and it made my trapped nerves in my back worse. I’m not sure if they would help with nightmares though.