Where do you wear your libre sensor?

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Id try different spots but it'd turn into an expensive hobby! I alternate arms and wear it on the outside for convenience. When worn on the left arm it has the added bonus my wife can scan me whilst I'm driving.

Trouble is I'm clumsy, always have been, runs in the family, I'm forever knocking it on door frames and stuff. I've had a couple of premature failures, when I've removed the sensor the little pin is bent! Wonder if it's my clumsiness?

I know some people wear them on inside of the arm, does it irritate? Or the back, awkward to scan. Where do you find best?

Reactions: becca59

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Right arm back, since I mostly sleep on my left

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I alternate the inside of my arms. Haven't lost one to date.
Scanning whilst on the road. I use a Bluetooth bridge which reads the sensor every 5 minutes relaying to my phone docked in a cradle on the A pillar of my van.. For an at a glance check in.

Regarding the sensor pin. (Filament?) mine looks like a tiny bent nail when when I peel the sensor back to remove it.
Though I would be confident it went in straight at a 90 degree angle on incertion..
Unless someone knows otherwise they all tend to come out warped.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeh mine come out a little bent too, worse if I’ve knocked it on a door frame.

I have a band that I wear if I have knocked it, it helps secure the tape back in place. I don’t wear it all the time just for a couple of hours if it seems too loose.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Inner thighs. It's out the way and accurate for me. I suppose it can look a little odd when scanning as you're rubbing the phone on your leg.

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all.

I'm trying my inner arm now, I've had 3 failures recently. I'm convinced it's my clumsy behaviour, well this morning definitely, I gave it a right whack, looked like it'd moved a bit and failed shortly afterwards.

The 1st two have been replaced FOC, I can accept that the 3rd one was my own stupid fault.

Interested in the blue tooth hook up, do you use a miao miao? Isn't all that gubbins worn on the inner arm a bit irritating?

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've knocked a couple of sensors off by walking into doorframes but when I tried putting in on my inner arm I had trouble keeping it on, within a few days it was getting loose round the edges, so I stuck a tegaderm over the top and that was coming off by the next day and flapping about, put some micropore tape around the tegaderm and that worked a bit but irritated my skin an awful lot and I had to keep replacing it. I decided I just need to be more careful walking through doors :hilarious:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I use both of my upper arms, but I recently knocked one off on the bathroom door frame, saying that, the sensors stick to me like a limpet.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’ve knocked numerous off on door frames using outside of arm I put mine on my belly it works fine , sometimes I put it on inside of inside of biceps not lost one for ages

wobbles

Hi,

I alternate the inside of my arms. Haven't lost one to date.
Scanning whilst on the road. I use a Bluetooth bridge which reads the sensor every 5 minutes relaying to my phone docked in a cradle on the A pillar of my van.. For an at a glance check in.

Regarding the sensor pin. (Filament?) mine looks like a tiny bent nail when when I peel the sensor back to remove it.
Though I would be confident it went in straight at a 90 degree angle on incertion..
Unless someone knows otherwise they all tend to come out warped.

Hiya @Jaylee

I hope you don’t mind me asking....

Is your Bluetooth Bridge the MiaoMiao or something else?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I knock them off if I have them on the outside of the arm, so I have them on the back of the arm, so that the sensor faces backwards. Couldn't wear it on the inside! Would rub and catch on my clothes.

It never worked well on my right arm (apparently my R arm has a bad sugar supply! lol) so I just use my left now.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use outside of both my arms and both sides of my chest, as my arms were starting to get sore. Can be quite funny when I've used both arms for a month and move on to my chest for a month, as for the first few days I carefully walk through door frames with arms well tucked in, and then suddenly realise no need. Conversely, have to be really careful to remember to keep well away from door frames again when I move back onto arms.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose this is as good a thread as any to ask this question, rather than starting a new one.

I'm about to move onto my 3rd Libre sensor. First went on my left arm, and I got crazy readings from it. It was replaced by Abbott with a second one that's behaving much more sensibly, which I put on my right arm.

The thing is that the right arm placement is much more comfortable for me. If I'm lounging on the sofa, I tend to be on my left side, and I sleep most of the night on my left side, too.

Obviously you don't put the new one exactly where you've removed the old one from. But I'm tempted to put the new one on my right arm, too. I'm also tempted to put it on a couple of days before the old one expires, and not activate it until the original runs out. I believe that means you get 14 days of good readings (assuming a good sensor) rather than a couple of days of abnormal ones while it settles in.

Since this one's pretty much central between my elbow and shoulder, the new one would have to go quite high up or quite low down my arm, or be placed somewhere other than the back of my right arm. And while I recall the software prompted me whether I wanted to activate the new one before the old one ran out, I don't particularly want to be reading the wrong one due to close proximity.

So, I'd welcome thoughts on placing it on the same arm as an existing one, and having them coexist for a couple of days. I know the logical thing to do is alternate arms.

I have 3 days left on my current sensor, so about 24 hours to make a decision on placement of the next one, if I want it to have a couple of days settle time.

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy to be corrected. But not sure I see the point of sticking a new one on a few days before activation.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Nicole T I put a new one on 24 hours-ish before the existing one runs out and that works for me. I alternate arms so I don't scan the wrong sensor so haven't got any wisdom on that, but as you say it does ask if you want to activate the new sensor, so whilst annoying if you accidently scan the wrong one every time at least you wouldn't be losing out on a few days usage of the older one

Reactions: Nicole T

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy to be corrected. But not sure I see the point of sticking a new one on a few days before activation.
The theory is that they irritate the test site for a while, causing a local spike in glucose and high readings until your body adapts to it being there.

My first sensor gave very high readings for about the first 3 days, then settled down for a couple, but started producing some unbelievable lows after that. That was when I got the free replacement from Abbott, that I'm wearing at the moment. This one gave some fairly high readings for a couple of days, too, but seems to have settled down to pretty believable ones, albeit typically 0.5 to 1 mmol/L above my blood readings.

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Outer thigh last 2 years. No covering necessary. Never knocked one off.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always alternate but if you want to try the same arm I don’t see why not. I guess overtime you might end up reusing sites before they are fully healed.