What are people thinking about a second lockdown?

Are you worried about a second lockdown?

• Yes

Votes: 34 52.3%
  • No

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • I don't care

Votes: 9 13.8%

• Total voters

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a little concerned as I work in a secondary school and we have already had 2 confirmed Covid cases since we have been back on 7 September. Having said that, I don't think it is a good idea to lock down again as we will just be back to square one again. I think these latest measures are a good idea to get it back into people's heads that they need to distance, wash hands and wear a mask when required.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think Prof Heneghan is getting a bit annoyed.. and quite rightly so.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/...it-break-need-cycle-bad-data-bad-science.html
Crickey - this guy most definitely sounds as though he has sour grapes about not being invited onto the SAGE panel! There are, after all, around 50 scientists on the panel and the majority of them must agree that we need to do something to stop the situation growing.

Many people criticised the Government for not acting and closing down fast enough the first time around. Now that they are taking faster positive action, other people are criticising that (although I do not think that another lockdown is a good idea).

I feel the Government are trying their best to keep the economy from crashing whilst reminding people that Covid can still harm a percentage of the population and using the threat of lockdowns to push this home. I think saying they are making 'catastrophic and wildly over-the-top' decisions is a bit far fetched at the moment - rule of six and closing pubs early doesn't really fit that description!

Reactions: Diane fluteplayer

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I really hope that the new measures will prevent another national lockdown, and leave room in hospitals for vital treatments. During the height of the first curve a friend of ours, a younger friend, whose pancreas had a cancer that had metastased, had his life-saving op cancelled as all the ICUs were full. His Consultant had to commandeer facilities in a private hospital. We just can’t afford for things like that to happen again. If it takes a national lockdown to so be it.
People’s behaviour is key. I am worried about pubs, even with distanced tables for the maskless.

Reactions: JRT

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If the government can afford to spend £100 BILLION on some pie eyed testing programme which has no existing technology yet, they can afford to bail out the businesses and people while locking down.

Reactions: MargaretR

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got a distinct feeling that the "odd couple" statements were aimed mainly at the young, warning them of the dangers of passing the virus on to others more vulnerable.

Boris is expected to give his statement at about 12-30, but not confirmed by Boris. I supose it depends on what happens in this morning's Cobra meeting.

What I really hope is that they scrap all the current localised restrictions and bring in a national one. This should then hopefully remove all the confusion.

I agree. My work is pretty spread out up and down the Country...trying to keep up with local rules is ridiculously confusing! x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. My work is pretty spread out up and down the Country...trying to keep up with local rules is ridiculously confusing! x

Someone on TV earlier suggested the govt should set up a website where we could enter our postcode and get our own local rules. That seems like a good plan to me. It must be a nightmare for you.

etippelt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone - my area is under a second lockdown but I see people walking around not wearing masks and on the bus I was the recipient of some very rude language for talking about why we should we be wearing masks. I'm really worried about what could happen this winter. What has been your experience? I'm trying to get as much vitamin D as possible before winter!

Research is showing that mask wearing, while not able to entirely block CV, reduces viral load to the point where you may be asymptomatic and your immune system develops antibodies to further infection. So wear your mask and if you see buses with a preponderance big passengers not wearing masks, take a photo of the passengers and the bus registration number and report to TFL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anthony Adams

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone - my area is under a second lockdown but I see people walking around not wearing masks and on the bus I was the recipient of some very rude language for talking about why we should we be wearing masks. I'm really worried about what could happen this winter. What has been your experience? I'm trying to get as much vitamin D as possible before winter!
I can understand your concerns fortunately we have been quite lucky here in Norfolk with fewer than a lot of places of covid infections. Sadly the society we live in today has too many self interested, self centred greedy individuals, whose only concern is to themselves and what they want. They don't care about others and certainly are not going to abide by the rules if it means it infringes on their civil liberties or inconveniences them. The Government is trying hard to get things right however they appear to be damned if they do and damned if they don't. Ultimately it is down to us as individuals to look after ourselves and do the right thing and if the whole country did that then I feel sure the situation would be considerably better.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Research is showing that mask wearing, while not able to entirely block CV, reduces viral load to the point where you may be asymptomatic and your immune system develops antibodies to further infection. So wear your mask and if you see buses with a preponderance big passengers not wearing masks, take a photo of the passengers and the bus registration number and report to TFL.

Hi,
Do you have links to the research you mention? Thanks.

StamfordMan

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The Guardian reported today:
"Nearly 23% of pubs, bars and restaurants said they expected to fold within three months without a financial package for the sector, according to a survey commissioned by the British Beer & Pub Association, UK Hospitality and the British Institute of Innkeeping.

One in eight hospitality staff have already been made redundant, with more jobs are expected to be lost for good when the furlough scheme ends in October.

On average, businesses believe their workforce will be 25% smaller in February 2021 than it was a year earlier – a decline of 675,000 jobs."

We are being lied to on a grand scale. We're told that "the number of cases is doubling every 8 days". Well, that's simply not true. At that rate, by Christmas, the entire population will have been infected and there will have been 11 million deaths. Matt Hancock can't do maths as Peter Hitchins pointed out.

What's the truth? The count of deaths from Covid-19 has been near zero for the entire summer. There is an uptick of positive tests ("cases") as more testing is done, but there is no simultaneous uptick in the number of hospital admissions or of the number of deaths recorded. I remind you that NHS hospitals were largely empty throughout the peak from March to June 2020, the "Nightingale" hospitals were unused and the extra refrigerated containers placed at morgues throughout the country were unused. The bodies did not pile up because of Covid-19. The actual deaths for 2019/2020 are equivalent to what happens where there's a bad seasonal flu. Meanwhile, the backlog in treating cancer and many other conditions will result in at least 30 000 unnecessary deaths in the coming months, as has been widely reported.

I remind you too that Boris Johnson's "Moonshot" proposes giving £100 billion to private companies to build testing facilities. Money that will not be subject to oversight by Parliament or follow normal procurement processes. That's nearly £2000 per every man, woman and child in the UK. Then, on top of that, you will be required to pay for a test. If that £100 billion was spent on upgrading the NHS testing labs and on measures to deal with future pandemics, that's one thing, but this is like giving channel ferry contracts to companies that have no ferries.

Would someone care to explain to me what's really going on in the UK?

philt68

Not at all worried about a second lockdown my concerns started when we began phasing out the one we are supposed to be in far too soon.
Schools pubs anywhere you can eat hairdressers all opened up far too soon and completely unnecessary.
The borders we should have closed in february should still be closed. Those people that got stuck abroad should unfortunately still be there. Or an quarantine ships or those sea-forts that were on the news recently should be commandeered for the purpose

We're letting illegal economic migrants on to our shore instead of intercepting them and returning them to france. Colleges have re-opened and Universities are starting to. All pathetic and far too lax and too soon.

I'm sorry genuinely sorry that many jobs will be lost my own included. We can't expect to furlough pay to last forever or businesses to endure when they are closed.

Whingeing on the TV earlier today about event related jobs.. I'm sorry they are for now a thing of the past . And inevitably the Arts lot were jumping on any band waggon they can, always wanting money they have not earned. Like I've said before people will pay what they think its worth to see the art they want to see as for the rest the 'artists' will just have to accept people can afford to not waste money at the current time.

It is undoubtedly going to get a lot worse before things get better... but if they keep employing half measures we might have to ask what it their motivation for trying to make things worse.

johen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm dreading it. I'm self employed and work from home which may not sound that bad but I am a photographer with a home studio so I only started working again this month (I shut down end of March) and already I am having to curtail bookings. My daughter has gone to uni for her 3rd year. She is sensible and not very sociable but I'm fearful she won't get back for Christmas and she has shaky mental health and this won't be good for her either. Things aren't very good for anyone are they. @JoKalsbeek I'm quite good with anxiety too!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
We are being lied to on a grand scale. We're told that "the number of cases is doubling every 8 days". Well, that's simply not true. At that rate, by Christmas, the entire population will have been infected and there will have been 11 million deaths. Matt Hancock can't do maths as Peter Hitchins pointed out.

I don't think that's quite correct. We are told that the number of positive test results is doubling every 6 to 7 days and that is broadly true. Just over a week ago we had about 3000 new cases in 1 day, yesterday's figure was +6000 so the claim holds up.

What's the truth? The count of deaths from Covid-19 has been near zero for the entire summer. There is an uptick of positive tests ("cases") as more testing is done, but there is no simultaneous uptick in the number of hospital admissions or of the number of deaths recorded.

Last week we were recording around 10 deaths daily (where the patient had Covid-19 during the preceding 28 days). Yesterday it was 37 so there is a corresponding uptick. Let's see where we are in 2 to 3 weeks time before we judge the impact the virus.
upload_2020-9-24_13-37-2.png

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We're told that "the number of cases is doubling every 8 days". Well, that's simply not true. At that rate, by Christmas, the entire population will have been infected and there will have been 11 million deaths.

Someone wrote almost the same thing (on another thread) last time cases had started rising exponentially in the UK.
Back then the figs were increasing slower, but the rise accelerated just as predicted - until the lockdown capped things off.

Be interesting to see what happens this time.

As for the entire population being infected by Xmas - perhaps you missed the bit where he mentioned that this was a speculative projection, and measures were being put in place to reduce the infection rates. We all know that infection doesn't work like you have suggested - and that was made very clear in the news conference.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm dreading it. I'm self employed and work from home which may not sound that bad but I am a photographer with a home studio so I only started working again this month (I shut down end of March) and already I am having to curtail bookings. My daughter has gone to uni for her 3rd year. She is sensible and not very sociable but I'm fearful she won't get back for Christmas and she has shaky mental health and this won't be good for her either. Things aren't very good for anyone are they. @JoKalsbeek I'm quite good with anxiety too!
On one hand, a home studio sounds like heaven to me (even if I'm very intimidated by flash lighting and tripods, aside from terrified of actual clients.). On the other hand, I completely see your point with the bookings. I hope things won't get that as bad as they were in the beginning of the year, and you'll still be able to do your thing. As for your daughter, well...I'm keeping my fingers crossed she'll be okay and celebrating Christmas at home. This whole situation's bad enough for people who are issue-free... Being mentally fragile now complicates matters more than most people'd suspect. I'm glad you see her, and her needs. She'll need you.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am in the arts, In the concert business. We have had no work since everything was cancelled in March. We will continue to have no work until venues can have enough in the audience to break even.

There are thousands of low paid people in the arts industry, including all the supporting staff, and very few overpaid divas.

70% government handouts do not cover bills for 12 months. Self employed with capital to pay tax bills etc have that taken into account as savings and are not eligible for benefits due to being prudent and saving for replacement vehicle, tools etc.

I resent the suggestion that those in the arts industry are jumping on any bandwagons, or are greedy. We pay taxes too, you know.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The news that unis might be locked down over Christmas has really upset me today. My first child to leave home does so tomorrow for uni. Bad enough to adapt to that major life change, doing so in the middle of this mess adds to the stress for us both and then to hear that said child might not be allowed home at the end of a tumultuous term is heartbreaking.

Diane fluteplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Team sports, housework, being talked down to, big towns, slugs and cabbage white caterpillars
Hi HSSS. I have no children but I can see how worried you must be. Let’s hope things don’t come to that. If it does, it will be for good reason and think how she would feel if she came home for Christmas with an a symptomatic infection and passed it on to you and other relatives. Have you had a chat about meeting on Zoom occasionally? Hugs (can’t find the emoji)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi HSSS. I have no children but I can see how worried you must be. Let’s hope things don’t come to that. If it does, it will be for good reason and think how she would feel if she came home for Christmas with an a symptomatic infection and passed it on to you and other relatives. Have you had a chat about meeting on Zoom occasionally? Hugs (can’t find the emoji)
Thanks. We have plans to stay in touch and I usually have contingencies for everything but for some reason (denial?) this didn’t even occur to me before today. The uni is doing the saliva trial so maybe that’ll sway things safely in favour of home visits. Only time will tell. Have another in school being exposed daily in unsafe classrooms so that’s more likely the source of any infection for me. Not a lot of sleep being had worrying about them. I have one safely working from home so something positive.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so glad my AS son decided to defer. I hope that doesnt sound selfish, but with AS on top of everything else, I dont think he could have coped and it could have had serious consequences for his mental health.