Foods that Diabetics shouldavoid, and why

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Came across this newsreel article that seem to give a reasonable overview of some foods that we as diabetics should probably cross off the shopping list.

Sorry, but it is one of those annoying sagas that stretch over pages of the Internet and is peppered with ads that presuably are funding this article. However, I read it, and it made sense to me. I am sharing it because I think it explains quite simply what effects certain foods can have.

https://www.healthygem.com/nutritio...7570686&utm_campaign=6247224-tb&utm_source=tb

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I lasted three pages!
Then it wouldn't turn off and stopped my music, then I had to turn my pad off because it froze!

That is the same dietary advice that had a detrimental effect on my body.
I was misdiagnosed T2 and every GP insisted on having low GI carbs with every meal.

In my opinion, like medication, dietary advice should be tailored to suit the individual rather than everyone who has T2. Not everyone has the same symptoms and there is different causes and everyone has different tastes, affordability, access and different conditions with the diabetes.

Stay safe.

Reactions: Robbity and Majii

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, for type ones, none at all - as long as you can get the timings and doses of insulin right :)
It is not always all about carbs and sugar levels. These articles cover other health hazards from other constituents of diet that may be relevant. For instance, I have T1D friends who were struggling with diet sodas. Hidden sugars off label can give wrong bolus values where Malitol and other sugar alcohols are added but only declared in the fine print and not the Carb values (the labeling system only makes manufacturers declare sucrose as a carb. Also the carb values are not measured at all but are estimated from a standard reference table of ingredients - it is an approximation at best).

Other topics mentioned are how bad BPA is, and how much salt is in some prepared foods. How some oils turn to transfats when over heated or baked. Little things like that that maybe are not important if you can cover it with insulin, but then again, maybe not. Please let people read and make up their own mind.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Please let people read and make up their own mind.
I didn’t say not to read it - just that a T1 can eat whatever they want if they can insulinate correctly for it. And that would included diet pop - if you try it and it spikes you, just dose for it next time. Doesn’t make it off limits, just that you need to use a little trial and error to deal with it should you choose to have it again. That’s a labelling issue, not a food issue. No harder really than dosing for fruit and vegetables whose nutritional content varies with the seasons, yet the published values don’t reflect that.

Perhaps foods containing BPA and excess salt should be crossed off *everyone’s* list, not just “we diabetics” - although having said that I need a lot of extra salt in my diet to avoid postural hypotension.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I managed to wade through all the sections and I thought most of the advice was reasonable for “new T2’s”. The glaring exception was the insistence that whole meal grains are somehow Ok. For me all grains are off limits.
Oh, and the advice to avoid saturated fats!
Only eating to your meter will give the true result for you. Sorry @LooperCat t2 advice!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn’t say not to read it - just that a T1 can eat whatever they want if they can insulinate correctly for it. And that would included diet pop - if you try it and it spikes you, just dose for it next time. Doesn’t make it off limits, just that you need to use a little trial and error to deal with it should you choose to have it again. That’s a labelling issue, not a food issue. No harder really than dosing for fruit and vegetables whose nutritional content varies with the seasons, yet the published values don’t reflect that.

Perhaps foods containing BPA and excess salt should be crossed off *everyone’s* list, not just “we diabetics” - although having said that I need a lot of extra salt in my diet to avoid postural hypotension.
The reason why I replied like I did to your post was that it gave an impression that T1D do not need to read the article, since as you say, a seasoned veteran will know how to use their insulin to control. I had in mind that this thread will attract newly diagnosed people who are seeking this sort of information which sadly they will not get from their GP. It just seems to be a good intro type article that I did not want to put newbies off from reading. But yes, it does carry the Low Carb message in it, which is aimed more at T2D.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The reason why I replied like I did to your post was that it gave an impression that T1D do not need to read the article, since as you say, a seasoned veteran will know how to use their insulin to control. I had in mind that this thread will attract newly diagnosed people who are seeking this sort of information which sadly they will not get from their GP. It just seems to be a good intro type article that I did not want to put newbies off from reading. But yes, it does carry the Low Carb message in it, which is aimed more at T2D.
You might need to consider specifying that you were aiming your post at t2 or newly diagnosed people by mentioning that in the title or OP, using tags or posting it in a t2 section of the forum, rather than “food, recipes and nutrition”, which isn’t (as far as I’m aware) a t2-specific area. You just said “we diabetics”. Did you not want any contributions from T1s?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You might need to consider specifying that you were aiming your post at t2 or newly diagnosed people by mentioning that in the title or OP, using tags or posting it in a t2 section of the forum, rather than “food, recipes and nutrition”, which isn’t (as far as I’m aware) a t2-specific area. You just said “we diabetics”. Did you not want any contributions from T1s?
I was deliberately non specific on class of condition. I consider the article to contain advice for all, There ARE T1D who are using LC diets and keto so the advice can apply to many, not just T2D Some Insulin users are interested in reducing their dosage to avoid the rollercoaster ride. Some are content to carry on as taught by Daphne. There are T2D who use insulin as well, although I am not one of them. Some are on MDI, some are on Pump, and some are on fixed dose. We all eat food.

Reactions: AloeSvea

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've read it and reckon they should aim this at the whole population, diabetic or not. I agree that type 1s can eat whatever they like in terms of using insulin to cover it and I understand that type 2s may not be able to but in the end it's down to the very personal choice of what you wish to put into your mouth and what you choose to avoid. My choices to avoid tend to be based more on what I think is healthy or not than simply the amount of carbs something has. The problem with all of these 'food for diabetics or food they should avoid' is the myth that there is somehow a diabetic diet and a non diabetic diet. I wish they would focus on the science behind it all, ie 'if a person eats this then their body responds by doing this' so if you don't wish your body to emulate this response then don't eat what they are referring to or combat it accordingly, much more informative.