Type 2. Alternative to insulin ?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Help please, on my diabetic review the nurse told me of alternatives to insulin, which I have been on for 20+ years. I got quite excited to visit the doctor. She told me that any tablet medication would be out of the question and that I was to continue with my usual 4 injections per day. I did question why I couldn’t at least have a carefully monitored trial but to no avail. Does anybody have any thoughts ?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you considered a change in diet. Most T2s here cut the carbs to lower their glucose levels. See link in my signature.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi
Help please, on my diabetic review the nurse told me of alternatives to insulin, which I have been on for 20+ years. I got quite excited to visit the doctor. She told me that any tablet medication would be out of the question and that I was to continue with my usual 4 injections per day. I did question why I couldn’t at least have a carefully monitored trial but to no avail. Does anybody have any thoughts ?

Hi Alan, Others have come off insulin by using a Low Carb High(er) traditional Fat 'way of eating'.
It isn't easy, but it is possible for some to get all the way to zero diabetes medications.
Your doctor is concerned is due to the fact that no Type 2 diabetes medicine in tablet form comes even close to the effect of Insulin.

But if you use the tried and tested LCHF way of eating approach, your BG levels will drop and you will need to monitor them closely and be prepared to adjust your daily Insulin doses. Otherwise you will be at risk of potential dangerous hypos !

Here is the basic information about T2D and carbohydrates you need to start your journey:
https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html

I suggest you also start looking and asking questions in the Low Carb forum section

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys I’m going to look now

Hi,

Though I'm not personally adverse to the LC way.

You will need to monitor your BGs carfully & adjust dosage accordingly if you adopt a dietary change.
What insulin/s are you prescribed. If a long acting "basal" insulin is used? This may need a tweak on your journey too? "Basal test?"
The wrong or usual dosage of insulin will not "hold back" should a diatary change be actioned.

An idea of what you are currently following as recommended by your nurse or dietitian may also help with help & support from others?