Support pls

Ranjitsant

Hi
I’m posting for my dad who is type 1, had a stroke 7 years ago , he has been suffering from sever diarrhoea and feeling nauseous. It’s day 4 now he is being cared at home, we trying to avoid hospitalisation. My dad has this in May, then a month ago and now again
Very worried
Will defiantly seek medical help
Has anyone been thru this ?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I’m posting for my dad who is type 1, had a stroke 7 years ago , he has been suffering from sever diarrhoea and feeling nauseous. It’s day 4 now he is being cared at home, we trying to avoid hospitalisation. My dad has this in May, then a month ago and now again
Very worried
It is fairly common for Type t to be also prescribed Metformin. Is he? Any other medications? The symptoms can be caused by many common ailments, and may not be diabetic.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Very worried

Hi,

We can't diagnose or treat medically on this forum.

I wouldn't disagree with @Oldvatr 's comment above. If you father is prescribed metformin or has recently had the script changed to another type? Correlating with the issues starting in May.

Is there also any correlation with a certain food your dad may have eaten?

It would be worthwhile at least contacting your father's GP...

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
Very worried
In addition to the other comments I hope you've been able to get some urgent advice from a GP.
How are his blood sugars? If he is ill you would want to keep an eye on those and check for ketones (pee on the test stick to see as this could indicate that he's fighting an infection).
Is he able to drink enough?
Those are the basics for a type 1 who is poorly but the underlying cause needs more investigation and diagnosis which may be unrelated to diabetes or his stroke.
Let us know if he is okay and best wishes to your family!

Reactions: KK123