1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Support pls

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by Ranjitsant, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Ranjitsant

Ranjitsant · Newbie

Hi
    I’m posting for my dad who is type 1, had a stroke 7 years ago , he has been suffering from sever diarrhoea and feeling nauseous. It’s day 4 now he is being cared at home, we trying to avoid hospitalisation. My dad has this in May, then a month ago and now again
    Very worried
    Will defiantly seek medical help
    Has anyone been thru this ?

2. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

It is fairly common for Type t to be also prescribed Metformin. Is he? Any other medications? The symptoms can be caused by many common ailments, and may not be diabetic.

3. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

We can't diagnose or treat medically on this forum.

I wouldn't disagree with @Oldvatr 's comment above. If you father is prescribed metformin or has recently had the script changed to another type? Correlating with the issues starting in May.

Is there also any correlation with a certain food your dad may have eaten?

It would be worthwhile at least contacting your father's GP...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

In addition to the other comments I hope you've been able to get some urgent advice from a GP.
    How are his blood sugars? If he is ill you would want to keep an eye on those and check for ketones (pee on the test stick to see as this could indicate that he's fighting an infection).
    Is he able to drink enough?
    Those are the basics for a type 1 who is poorly but the underlying cause needs more investigation and diagnosis which may be unrelated to diabetes or his stroke.
    Let us know if he is okay and best wishes to your family!

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook