Any other type 1's take SGLT 2 or dapagliflozin?

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
Interested to know if there are any type 1's on here who take SGLT 2 or dapagliflozin?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interested to know if there are any type 1's on here who take SGLT 2 or dapagliflozin?
In the UK I was told it was not licensed for type 1 though I did think it might be useful.
Do you?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is an article published in the USA and there is also an FDA advisory (actually there are several) on this class of medication that is not reflected in the UK
https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/42/6/991

NICE does allow prescription for use with T1D in the UK.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...in-as-type-1-diabetes-treatment-98662251.html

You will notice that although the NICE does mention DKA, it does not warn of the danger that the specific euDKA variant that this drug initiates . There is also no warning about the Fournier's gangrene or the potential cardio problems noted by the FDA regarding use in patients with kidney disease or using loop diuretics where they recommend frequent blood tests and support

Note the use of wee stix to measure glucose levels OR ketone levels in the wee are interfered with by this medication and should not be used for control.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
SGLT2 inhibitors remove glucose from the bloodstream by pushing it out through the kidneys. Kidneys were not designed for this. Interfering with their delicate function is not a good idea IMHO. Insulin is a much better tool for removing glucose from the bloodstream. It just means eating appropriate amounts of carbohydrate.

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
In the UK I was told it was not licensed for type 1 though I did think it might be useful.
Do you?

No I don't. I'm type 1 in insulin pump and max dose metformin. Low to no carb doesn't make a huge amount of difference to my control or insulin levels. One of those apparently unique cases the drs day. Currently on 16:8 eating regime. Was in 500-800 calories a day now more like 1200.
Offered byetta for the second time. Last time was 9 years ago and it made me very sick.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Make sure you can measure blood ketone levels (not using wee stix), keep hydrated, watch your sensitive bits for any signs of change, and deal with any UTI's promptly. Not a med I would use myself, but if it works for you, then hope it treats you well. Maybe get a medical charm or laminated card to warn of euDKA just in case coz not all paramedics are trained in this.

Reactions: megan

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being so high I can barely open my eyes :(
I've been taking 5mg Forxiga (Dapagliflozin) on and off for around two years now. At first I had lots of thrush and UTI's and then it settled down and I realised it only works if you are relatively low carb anyway, It definitely lowered my levels. No weight loss, but I did feel more in control when taking it.

Reactions: megan