Blood tests

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I am so frustrated I have drank plenty of water and I felt good and the phlebotomists only checked me once and told me she can’t try again and to come back again, I hate that she only checked 1 arm and also I told her I drank plenty of water throughout the day.

She said “I can feel it” but the blood won’t come out I feel so angry I don’t understand why this happens all the time.

Anyone have the same problem or is it only me.
i remember she once said “are you even human” as a joke because of the fact my blood wasn’t coming out

Ahhhh oh well. I geuss blood tests aren’t ever going to go smoothly for me another thing I have to worry about.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
That happens to me on my left arm. You're right in thinking that she should have tried both sides.

Taniae

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have small veins and they sometimes collapse once the needle goes in. Apparently, veins are not at their plumpest first thing in the morning .
The phlebotomist advised me to keep well hydrated the say before and on the morning of my appointment to drink at least a pint of water ( I drink two) about 45 mins before and to have a substantial breakfast like beans on toast , scrambled eggs etc as that always plumps your veins up.
I have done as she advised the last two times and she has got it first time on both occasions . She also uses a fine needle.
I also use a numbing cream (Emla) and I don’t feel a thing
Hope this helps, good luck

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have small veins and they sometimes collapse once the needle goes in. Apparently, veins are not at their plumpest first thing in the morning .
The phlebotomist advised me to keep well hydrated the say before and on the morning of my appointment to drink at least a pint of water ( I drink two) about 45 mins before and to have a substantial breakfast like beans on toast , scrambled eggs etc as that always plumps your veins up.
I have done as she advised the last two times and she has got it first time on both occasions . She also uses a fine needle.
I also use a numbing cream (Emla) and I don’t feel a thing
Hope this helps, good luck

My blood test was booked for 2:45pm, I drank close to 3L of water; my body sometimes can get really weird, my arms can go reddish colour and my hands too, I thought when she said “I found it” but when the needle when in she was wiggling it around and that’s really uncomfortable especially when she said she’s found it, I have booked another test, but In a different hospital I think this hospital has those light that can direct you to a vein. & thanks for your advice

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That happens to me on my left arm. You're right in thinking that she should have tried both sides.
I also have problems with my left arm refusing to co-operate. I offer my right arm or tell the nurses now to use it instead - there's definitely a nice fat vein visible in my elbow joint.

Reactions: ert