peripheral neuropathy affecting motor function.

Chris Bowsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I have been having problems with muscle weakness, and dexterity in my legs, feet, hands and arms and fasciculations over the same areas (muscle twitching)

i have been referred to a neurologist who will be conducting EMG and nerve tests in a months time.

I was very concerned it was something serious such as Motor Neurons Disease but the consultant after examining me has initially diagnosed me as having sub clinical peripheral neuropathy caused by diabeties, compounded by by a cascade of brain hormones caused by stress and anxiety.

My Hba1c is 50 and i have no other neuropathy or vascular damage.

Can anyone else share their experiences of peripheral neuropathy affecting motor function, in a generalised manner in the body ?

thanks

C

Last edited:

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Neoropathy usually causes loss of sensation and/or pain in fingers and toes. Are you on a statin?

Chris Bowsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Neoropathy usually causes loss of sensation and/or pain in fingers and toes. Are you on a statin?

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

no i don't take statins,

That was my thought also, i've never heard of neuropathy that affect motor nerves, only sensation and pain nerves.

Reactions: MarkMunday

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Hi there, thanks for the reply.

no i don't take statins,

That was my thought also, i've never heard of neuropathy that affect motor nerves, only sensation and pain nerves.
I was referred for neurology investigation for my feet a few years ago - nerve conduction and EMG tests. Confirmed some peripheral neuropathy, but worse in sensory nerves than motor nerves. No obvious muscle weakness identified. I've had poor balance and slow reaction times since childhood, way before D diagnosis, so hard to judge if this is getting worse. BTW I still have high skin sensation and "pass" my GP's prick tests and foot pulses. Hope all goes well and ask lots of questions!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I have been having problems with muscle weakness, and dexterity in my legs, feet, hands and arms and fasciculations over the same areas (muscle twitching)

i have been referred to a neurologist who will be conducting EMG and nerve tests in a months time.

I was very concerned it was something serious such as Motor Neurons Disease but the consultant after examining me has initially diagnosed me as having sub clinical peripheral neuropathy caused by diabeties, compounded by by a cascade of brain hormones caused by stress and anxiety.

Can anyone else share their experiences of peripheral neuropathy affecting motor function, in a generalised manner in the body ?

thanks

C

I have no experience to offer but you might find this interesting with regard to feet at least: https://www.podiatrytoday.com/article/9065 Good luck!

Caprock94

I have had the muscle twitching for almost 5 years now. Only been diabetic for a year and a half, so don't know if they are related. I got checked out by a neurologist, and was told all was fine. Stress and anxiety. I hate the twitching. Wish I could find something to stop it.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had the muscle twitching for almost 5 years now. Only been diabetic for a year and a half, so don't know if they are related. I got checked out by a neurologist, and was told all was fine. Stress and anxiety. I hate the twitching. Wish I could find something to stop it.
Do you supplement magnesium? Might be worth looking at. I have a horse with a muscle disease and high levels of magnesium are needed - appreciate you've got 2 legs not 4 but a lot of the research was done in humans

Reactions: Serena51

Caprock94

Do you supplement magnesium? Might be worth looking at. I have a horse with a muscle disease and high levels of magnesium are needed - appreciate you've got 2 legs not 4 but a lot of the research was done in humans

I have. Hasn't seemed to do much. Maybe I need to give it more time.

Mainsail

Hi,

thanks

C

Hi Chris
Yes I have a similar condition.
I was diagnosed with Myopathy just over 12 months ago and, because Covid has prevented me going to hospital, I have been unable to follow this up with a muscle biopsy to understand exactly the type of Myopathy. This is now going to happen at last this coming Wed. I have been T1 for 26 years, been on a pump for 4 years, with quite good control and an HbA1c of 6.9. No other problem other than extreme muscle weakness to arms, shoulders and back (the latter is not helped by arthritis).
Until I have had the biopsy and a session with the neuropathy consultant I will not know whether it is related to diabetes. I have had high CK enzyme levels (about 650) for at least 20 years, which is indicative of muscle damage. Have you had your CK levels tested (blood) Chris? CK was high for me before I started taking statins and I have had several periods, each of many months, when I stopped taking statins and my levels then reduced very slightly to about 450, well above the max normal level of 200. Currently I have been off statins for 18 months but this has not helped my muscle weakness, which is rapidly getting worse and is now pretty serious in its impact on my mobility and even simple things like eating and dressing. I do not think this is related to stains however for a number of reasons.
So you are certainly not alone except that the link to diabetes has not yet been established in my case.