Newcastle Diet - Help!

threejays

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening All - new to this website and in particular the forum so please be gentle with me!!! Took me half hour to figure out how to ask a question. So having seen the Newcastle Diet mentioned on BBC News in relation to NHS, I got very excited - looked into it, bought Prof Roy Taylor's book and found myself on the Diet. First week I lost 3.1kg - very happy! The second week, I had to blip because I was having a colonoscopy and had to follow a specific diet for 3 days which certainly wasn't compatible with ND so wasn't surprised when I only had a 1.5kg loss. Still, back on the ND immediately after the colonoscopy so thought by the end of week 3 I would catch up but was miffed to have only lost 1.1kg. I have weighed myself today as week 4 and the scales were extremely rude to me and only offered a pathetic 700g - I am in shock and don't understand?

So, those who follow ND will know that the aim is to lose 15kg in 8 weeks - I have 20kgs to lose to bring me within 'normal' bmi. I have lost 6.4kg in 4 weeks which means I am way behind target. Before starting the ND I was consuming easily in excess of 3000 calories which included a ridiculous quantity of biscuits, chocolate, cakes, bread etc. My last HBa1C was 110. Sorry, should have said - T2D for 14 years.

When I started the ND I stopped taking my insulin and my sugars were all 10 or below in week 1. Since then they have gradually crept up and I am now having to use insulin.

I don't understand why I am consuming no more than 800 calories per day yet weight loss is so slow and sugars are creeping up? Surely a drop of 2200+ calories per day should produce more results? Your thoughts would be appreciated please!!!

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
When you start the 800 calorie diet, it the first few weeks you use your glycogen stores, which helps you lose weight rapidly. After then you start burning muscles and fat. Losing muscles causes your metabolism to slow, which causes your weight loss to slow and plateau.
To get past the weight-loss plateau, you could have some on off days of eating (look up 5:2 diet), restrict your calories even more on some days, increase the intensity of your workouts, and put more activity into your day.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Tannith

BANNED
Evening All - new to this website and in particular the forum so please be gentle with me!!! Took me half hour to figure out how to ask a question. So having seen the Newcastle Diet mentioned on BBC News in relation to NHS, I got very excited - looked into it, bought Prof Roy Taylor's book and found myself on the Diet. First week I lost 3.1kg - very happy! The second week, I had to blip because I was having a colonoscopy and had to follow a specific diet for 3 days which certainly wasn't compatible with ND so wasn't surprised when I only had a 1.5kg loss. Still, back on the ND immediately after the colonoscopy so thought by the end of week 3 I would catch up but was miffed to have only lost 1.1kg. I have weighed myself today as week 4 and the scales were extremely rude to me and only offered a pathetic 700g - I am in shock and don't understand?

So, those who follow ND will know that the aim is to lose 15kg in 8 weeks - I have 20kgs to lose to bring me within 'normal' bmi. I have lost 6.4kg in 4 weeks which means I am way behind target. Before starting the ND I was consuming easily in excess of 3000 calories which included a ridiculous quantity of biscuits, chocolate, cakes, bread etc. My last HBa1C was 110. Sorry, should have said - T2D for 14 years.

When I started the ND I stopped taking my insulin and my sugars were all 10 or below in week 1. Since then they have gradually crept up and I am now having to use insulin.

I don't understand why I am consuming no more than 800 calories per day yet weight loss is so slow and sugars are creeping up? Surely a drop of 2200+ calories per day should produce more results? Your thoughts would be appreciated please!!!
I did Newcastle in 2017 with great success. Reversed my T2. But it did take 4 months of very hard work, some weeks with hardly any loss. If you keep it up it will work and you will lose the weight eventually. Thanks for drawing attention to the fact that Prof Taylor has now written a book. I have just ordered a copy for a friend who was diagnosed last week with pre diabetes and asked my advice.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You are probably in the process of slowing your metabolism by not feeding your body enough hence weight loss will slow because the body realises that it's starving. This is an unfortunate side effect of not eating enough. Your blood sugars are likely going up because the meal replacement shakes are relatively high in carbohydrate (which is a root cause of sugar spikes).
Personally I found an ultra low carb way of eating far more effective both for prolonged, sustainable weight loss and good glucose control.

I'd heartily suggest doing some research down that path rather than starve yourself.

A great intro can be found here
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

Reactions: hankjam and HSSS