New to type 2 Diabetes

baldy101

Hi all, I have just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Trying to get my head around it all with the "do's" and "don'ts"
If anyone can offer any advise, tips, recipes, the "do's" and "don'ts" would be appreciated. Thank you

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome
Do you know what your HbA1c was that was used for diagnosis?
The mains don'ts are ... don't eat many carbs
Eat lots of fat and protein instead.

Reactions: Rose22

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi thanks for your reply. I was told that it should be around 42 mine was 107
OK that's pretty high.. for example mine was 87 mmol/m on diagnosis.
On any medication?
Definitely reduce your carbohydrate consumption a lot.
Do you have any excess weight to lose? Low carb helps with that too.

baldy101

OK that's pretty high.. for example mine was 87 mmol/m on diagnosis.
On any medication?
Definitely reduce your carbohydrate consumption a lot.
Do you have any excess weight to lose? Low carb helps with that too.
Yea I'm at 16 stone 8 pounds at the moment so need to lose a fair bit. As for meds I'm on two lots at the moment. I'm on Lipitor 1 a day and Metformin 4 a day.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Haddo16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many
You can do it with the right mind set and family support I went from 16st 10 in June to 13st 9 in 3 months Ha1c of 78 to 38,
Eat health cutout carbs like whitebread, find what food works for you and exercise. It’s not an exact science trial and error a lot of the time. Good luck hope it goes as well for you.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @baldy101 and welcome

I had a similar HbA1c to you at diagnosis - 108 - and have managed to get down to non-diabetic numbers (and stay there) using diet and exercise.

I’d recommend having a good look at dietdoctor.com and also have a read of the What Have You Eaten Today thread in the low carb section of the forum. Lots of meal ideas and friendly support.

Reactions: Amanda60

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, I have just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Trying to get my head around it all with the "do's" and "don'ts"
If anyone can offer any advise, tips, recipes, the "do's" and "don'ts" would be appreciated. Thank you
Echo what has been said above - reduce your carbs, exercise, and if you can try and monitor the effects on your blood when you eat. Quite a few people have invested in a Libre Freestyle Sensor to help them monitor. I found it really helps.

I think this is the link I was sent when I first joined the forum - includes how you can get hold of test strips

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

Last edited: