High after starting Tresiba

TypeZero.

I seem to always be high after starting Tresiba, has anyone else experienced this? My insulin to carb ratio used to be 1:10 throughout the day with Lantus but it’s going crazy with Tresiba that I can’t even work it out. I was hearing so many good reviews about Tresiba but now I’m going off it tbh. Today is the third day and I was on 14u on Lantus but with Tresiba I have increased from 12u to 16u in 3 days

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
It takes about 4 days for tresiba to buildup in your system as it a very long acting insulin also changes take about 2 to 3 days to have a effect

Also stopping tresiba it takes about 3 days for it to leave your system

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you only just started with Tresiba? Its a longer lasting so you do have to give it time to settle in, I was told that any changes to dosage may take up to 3 days to show.
Could also be your honeymoon period coming to an end (or it just throwing a spanner in the works) meaning you need more insulin (cos I know it hasn't been too long since you were diagnosed), but that is just speculation
But yeah not everyone agrees with all the different types of insulin.

Reactions: oldgreymare

TypeZero.

Have you only just started with Tresiba? Its a longer lasting so you do have to give it time to settle in, I was told that any changes to dosage may take up to 3 days to show.
Could also be your honeymoon period coming to an end (or it just throwing a spanner in the works) meaning you need more insulin (cos I know it hasn't been too long since you were diagnosed), but that is just speculation
But yeah not everyone agrees with all the different types of insulin.

Yeah I started it new. I feel like with Tresiba increasing my dose doesn’t change my BG but then again some of you are saying it takes 4 days for the effect to take place so maybe it’s that. Deffo need to try it for a week or two before deciding Lantus is better for me

IMG_1868.jpg

Blood sugar seems to be going up and down during the night but was quite high so around 3-4 I injected 4 units of NovoRapid, I haven’t had anything to eat for breakfast yet just had my Tresiba shot and my blood sugar is rising for some reason.

My real BG is around 1.5mmol higher than what Libre says so I never actually went hypo but was close like 4.3 or 4.2

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I seem to always be high after starting Tresiba, has anyone else experienced this? My insulin to carb ratio used to be 1:10 throughout the day with Lantus but it’s going crazy with Tresiba that I can’t even work it out. I was hearing so many good reviews about Tresiba but now I’m going off it tbh. Today is the third day and I was on 14u on Lantus but with Tresiba I have increased from 12u to 16u in 3 days
Tresiba takes four days to build up, so personally I would have waited longer before making a decision to stay on Tresiba or restart Lantus

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Yes 3 to 4 days for it to build up.. and when you increase the dose it will take the same time again to show

And the same when you stop tresiba it takes 3/4 days for it to leave your system

One good thing is if you have an unexpected night out and don’t take your tresiba it won’t matter

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes 3 to 4 days for it to build up.. and when you increase the dose it will take the same time again to show

And the same when you stop tresiba it takes 3/4 days for it to leave your system

One good thing is if you have an unexpected night out and don’t take your tresiba it won’t matter
Tresiba’s a slower basal, so hence the wait before it kicked in. It’s a more forgiving basal if you get it wrong or simply forget to administer the insulin.