Problematic cannula sites

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
I rotate my sites but mostly on my lower tummy because they get sore very quickly with deep lumps when done above my waste. I tried else where but it got pulled out very quickly. My lower tummy has recently started getting these deep large lumps at site with in 24 -36 hours so I'm changing more frequently but it's not helping any more.
Any suggestions?

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
Hi Megan, sorry to hear you are having problems. I have suffered from them too.

What type of Cannula are you using? (Steel? Teflon?)
What length needle are you using? (6mm, 9mm)
Are you using a straight or angled Cannula?

This webpage gives some really good information on Infusion Sets and Cannulae
https://bionicwookiee.com/2018/04/08/pump-cannulae-and-infusion-sets-what-are-the-differences/

Chris

8mm straight plastic. Above my waste I rarely use as it always reacts. This week I have one I put there that is still pink and a bit inflamed with big lump after being removed two days ago and was only in for 24 hours!
Now gone to my hip and bloods were better yesterday but it may not be the site, I do have a completely 'bonkers' week every couple of months where my bloods go high and I can't get them down.
Had that last week I think!
But that one first use on my hip is still punk and a lump after being in for two days.
At this rate I am starting to question the use of my pump. for years and years we're taught to keep rotating sites for each injection then one cannula can stay in the same place for three days? Am I missing something ?

Reactions: Capt-Slog

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had the same problem very itchy lumps I’ve switched to the metal sure t sets with my Medtronic and my diabetic nurse did say to change set every 2 days instead of 3 if I want to because Of the fact the insulin does irritate going through the same site for a long time

Reactions: megan

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you don't already do so, it may be worth infusing bolus or correction doses in over a slightly longer time, rather than all in one go, thereby allowing the insulin to be absorbed better.
When you have the week where your bloods are high, do you use a temporary basal increase, or lots of large correction doses? I find temporary basal increase absorbs better, but we're all different.
Have you tried a longer cannula? I had a lot of similar problems with 6mm, but for me 8mm are a lot better. Hope you can find an answer.

Reactions: megan

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
If you don't already do so, it may be worth infusing bolus or correction doses in over a slightly longer time, rather than all in one go, thereby allowing the insulin to be absorbed better.
When you have the week where your bloods are high, do you use a temporary basal increase, or lots of large correction doses? I find temporary basal increase absorbs better, but we're all different.
Have you tried a longer cannula? I had a lot of similar problems with 6mm, but for me 8mm are a lot better. Hope you can find an answer.

Thanks. I do have my insulin go in slower over a period of time so not to in one go.
I do change my basal to a different level or even a % change for set number of hours, according to how I feel it's going. Lots of correctional say to me change my basal... but not too quickly one way or another or I'll just be chasing my tail
I did have a longer cannula and it was suggested I try shorter

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********

Meant to say thank you for your input and suggestions

Reactions: Hopeful34