1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Problematic cannula sites

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by megan, Oct 18, 2020.

1. megan

megan Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I rotate my sites but mostly on my lower tummy because they get sore very quickly with deep lumps when done above my waste. I tried else where but it got pulled out very quickly. My lower tummy has recently started getting these deep large lumps at site with in 24 -36 hours so I'm changing more frequently but it's not helping any more.
    Any suggestions?

2. Capt-Slog

Capt-Slog LADA · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  3. megan

8mm straight plastic. Above my waste I rarely use as it always reacts. This week I have one I put there that is still pink and a bit inflamed with big lump after being removed two days ago and was only in for 24 hours!
    Now gone to my hip and bloods were better yesterday but it may not be the site, I do have a completely 'bonkers' week every couple of months where my bloods go high and I can't get them down.
    Had that last week I think!
    But that one first use on my hip is still punk and a lump after being in for two days.
    At this rate I am starting to question the use of my pump. for years and years we're taught to keep rotating sites for each injection then one cannula can stay in the same place for three days? Am I missing something ?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nometype1andproud

Nometype1andproud Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had the same problem very itchy lumps I’ve switched to the metal sure t sets with my Medtronic and my diabetic nurse did say to change set every 2 days instead of 3 if I want to because Of the fact the insulin does irritate going through the same site for a long time

• Like Like x 1
  5. dancer

dancer Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Is the link area due to the adhesive or just the cannula?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If you don't already do so, it may be worth infusing bolus or correction doses in over a slightly longer time, rather than all in one go, thereby allowing the insulin to be absorbed better.
    When you have the week where your bloods are high, do you use a temporary basal increase, or lots of large correction doses? I find temporary basal increase absorbs better, but we're all different.
    Have you tried a longer cannula? I had a lot of similar problems with 6mm, but for me 8mm are a lot better. Hope you can find an answer.

• Like Like x 1
  7. megan

It's not the adhesive

8. megan

Thanks. I do have my insulin go in slower over a period of time so not to in one go.
    I do change my basal to a different level or even a % change for set number of hours, according to how I feel it's going. Lots of correctional say to me change my basal... but not too quickly one way or another or I'll just be chasing my tail
    I did have a longer cannula and it was suggested I try shorter

9. megan

Meant to say thank you for your input and suggestions

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook