I've given up the unequal struggle

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you.

My doctor has just booked me in for my HbA1c so i have three weeks to wait. Yes my mood has been awful, not so much lockdown itself but a combination of things mainly work related, that have made my blood boil. Just had five weeks away from work because of things...though the fact I'm working from home means that work is never far away.
As well as oral medications there are also injections (such as bydureon, or victoza). Metformin on it’s own is the first step, I was on 2 other medications over and above those, others are on more

insulin is a last step for many surgeries, and my nurse was doing everything she could do to make sure that wasn’t the plan, hopefully you will be offered other options depending on your hba1c

Many people do take insulin, it has its challenges but they are manageable. So I hope whatever the outcome you start to feel better

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I note you are on Gliclazide?> I think thats one of the drugs where you have to tell the DVLA you are taking it. Trying to avoid that but I will ask the question.
No, you only have to notify with insulin, but you do have to test before driving (It's the one I want off of most, but it means I get "free" testing strips)

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Patrick66 ,

I agree that you shouldn't be blaming yourself- I don't know if you have heard of the spoon theory - if you haven't google it. It is something that made a lot of sense to me. Basically what we an do on any particular day can vary signifiantly.

With all that you are trying to balance you can only do the best you an do on any given day. The current world situation has made life very different for a lot of us. As a diabetic the added stress does n opt help- and that is even without the other challenges that you face.

no-one hear is going to think any less of you because you are finding it harder at the moment- if anything the opposite. I think it took real courage to post and I always admire courage.

Good luck and take care of yourself.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
As well as oral medications there are also injections (such as bydureon, or victoza). Metformin on it’s own is the first step, I was on 2 other medications over and above those, others are on more

insulin is a last step for many surgeries, and my nurse was doing everything she could do to make sure that wasn’t the plan, hopefully you will be offered other options depending on your hba1c

Many people do take insulin, it has its challenges but they are manageable. So I hope whatever the outcome you start to feel better
Needles and I do not mix. We move in different social circles and I hope to keep it that way.

I have got my HbA1c down from 78 to 41 in the past so know that if I have to go 'cold turkey' I have done so in the past.

Reactions: VashtiB

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Patrick66 ,

I agree that you shouldn't be blaming yourself- I don't know if you have heard of the spoon theory - if you haven't google it. It is something that made a lot of sense to me. Basically what we an do on any particular day can vary signifiantly.

With all that you are trying to balance you can only do the best you an do on any given day. The current world situation has made life very different for a lot of us. As a diabetic the added stress does n opt help- and that is even without the other challenges that you face.

no-one hear is going to think any less of you because you are finding it harder at the moment- if anything the opposite. I think it took real courage to post and I always admire courage.

Good luck and take care of yourself.
Thank you. Very kind.

Yes I'm aware of spoon theory. Its quite commonly referred to amongst us Autistic folks.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't been on here for a while because I've been so ashamed by my eating habits and my inability to eat anything like healthy these last several months.

My carb intake has grown and I cant recall the last day I didn't eat something sweet and sugary.

I had a nervous breakdown a while ago. Not been able to clear my head at all really and everything just rose up and overwhelmed me. Panic attacks, anxiety, fibromyalgia pain off the charts and through it all I'm amazed that I only weigh a single pound more than when we started this saga back in March.
Pushing myself to exercise just increases the pain but if my minds weak I can only hope the body isn't as weak even if the pain is staggering at times.

I'm worn out. I'm back at work but taking things very very slowly. I just have no....desire?...appetite?...to eat healthily and everything's become a bother and a nuisance. Its been a struggle and one I'm not winning.

I hope for brighter days. I hope that one day I will be strong enough to sort myself out again but those days seem very distant.

Stay safe everyone.
Sorry to hear this but sounds like you are hanging in there even though it is clearly overwhelming you some of the time.
Don't know the solutions but thought you might like this episdoe of 'Doctor in the house' re fibromyalgia. The lady here isn't diabetic but is suffering the lack of time from her GP who just saw her as a bunch of symtoms/diseases one of which is fibromyalgia:
Might give you some inspiration/hope perhaps.
Take care.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry to hear this but sounds like you are hanging in there even though it is clearly overwhelming you some of the time.
Don't know the solutions but thought you might like this episdoe of 'Doctor in the house' re fibromyalgia. The lady here isn't diabetic but is suffering the lack of time from her GP who just saw her as a bunch of symtoms/diseases one of which is fibromyalgia:
Might give you some inspiration/hope perhaps.
Take care.
Thank you

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't been on here for a while because I've been so ashamed by my eating habits and my inability to eat anything like healthy these last several months.

My carb intake has grown and I cant recall the last day I didn't eat something sweet and sugary.

I had a nervous breakdown a while ago. Not been able to clear my head at all really and everything just rose up and overwhelmed me. Panic attacks, anxiety, fibromyalgia pain off the charts and through it all I'm amazed that I only weigh a single pound more than when we started this saga back in March.
Pushing myself to exercise just increases the pain but if my minds weak I can only hope the body isn't as weak even if the pain is staggering at times.

I'm worn out. I'm back at work but taking things very very slowly. I just have no....desire?...appetite?...to eat healthily and everything's become a bother and a nuisance. Its been a struggle and one I'm not winning.

I hope for brighter days. I hope that one day I will be strong enough to sort myself out again but those days seem very distant.

Stay safe everyone.

I am so sorry to read about your struggle and I hope you will find strength in all the lovely words from wonderful people here. I can relate to your experience as I went through a period of despair in last 10 years not once but about 4 or 5 times. I was doing everything the diabetes team told me and then some but nothing really worked. At one point I remember just giving up on Metaformin as it was making life so difficult but it is at times like these that our support mechanism kicks in.... my wife in my case is my rock and helps me overcome my downs. I will not assume your circumstances but I do hope you have a support mechanism you can turn to, talk to and help you stay motivated. I also hope that what I have just told you helps you realise slipping every so often is to realise we are humans and not robots following some algorithm. It will get better and every "down" comes with the assurance that the "up" is just round the corner.

While i am new as an active participant on this forum, I have found particupating here is allowing me to be more concious of what I am eating and sharing my daily reports and getting insight on others, allows me to stay motivated as well. So I would definitely encourage not to feel ashamed if and when you fell off the wagon. The people around here I have found are lovely folks willing to help and not judgmental in the least. I cant even say the same for some of NHS staff I have dealt with in past 10 years.

Stay strong and have faith in yourself. You will come through.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a lot of support for mental health problems. Talk to your GP about what's available in your area.
I'm in the Midlands and filled out a self referral form for a mental health well being clinic. I had the choice of 1 to 1 , group, or online help. ...

After my 2019 annual review with the diabetic nurse, I went on to contact Shropshire Psychological Therapies service. I had a telephone appointment and the diagnosis was that I had mild depression and needed to address my relationship with food, but that I was not eligible for counselling. I went on to some private counselling sessions, but at £40 a session, as a low-income pensioner, I really didn't feel I could keep this up. So my experience of support hasn't been great! And as you can imagine, the pandemic experiences have definitely made things worse. You're definitely not alone, Patrick.

Hamfanjan

I'm worn out. I'm back at work but taking things very very slowihave had ME ly. I just have no....desire?...appetite?...to eat healthily and everything's become a bother and a nuisance. Its been a struggle and one I'm not winning.

Stay safe everyone.
Never be ashamed Patrick. You have no reason to be in the current situation . Live can be very hard . I think we all agree there ! I have had ME and fibromyalgia 24 yrs and counting. I can truly empathise with your pain and fatigue. And the struggles you endure. Do be careful working if you are not feeling great. Also be very careful not to push yourself too far with exercise. I struggle daily find having some structure and routine each day is helpful. And pacing. I do hope things ease for you soon. Brighter times will be there for you . Take your time and take care.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll take them all...

I must be due a diabetic review (ha, it rhymes) but this pandemic has seriously messed up what I am doing. I will ask the question...so long as they don't say Gliclizide(?) as I know you have to tell the DVLA if you have that one..
I have been on Gliclazide for 8 years now, and I have also in that time had several cardio events (stroke, heart attacks, heart surgery) I have not had my licence curtailed or revoked at all despite that and I am still a driver (legally) So glic is not something to fear. It is a usefull drug but there are others. It is only Class I (HGV and PSV drivers) who have to adhere to DVLA restrictions