Blood glucose level 28 ( have only had 2 out of 3 novarapid before meals today and might have over

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eaten carbs ( I ate these a few hours after dinner, which I treated as a snack , so didn’t have the nova rapid

I ate crackers with cheese ( about 5) plus small portion of crisps ,plus a bowl of sweet and salted popcorn

my diabetes team want daily updates ( my ketone level was high ) I also tested that and it’s 0. Something so normal I think

should I worry ?? Am I at risk of developing DKS?? ( I have suspected type 1)

Thank you

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Grumpy Porridge, are you in the UK? I would give 111 a ring if so. I don't think you need to worry about DKA at the moment if you have minimal ketones, but they may go up if you can't get your BG levels down. Would I be correct in assuming you're on fixed doses of novorapid and you haven't been taught about corrections?

Reactions: Grumpy Porridge

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Grumpy Porridge, are you in the UK? I would give 111 a ring if so. I don't think you need to worry about DKA at the moment if you have minimal ketones, but they may go up if you can't get your BG levels down. Would I be correct in assuming you're on fixed doses of novorapid and you haven't been taught about corrections?
Hi

Yes I am in the UK, was only diagnosed a few days ago
I have no idea on how to estimate how much insulin I need : S

I will call 111 , thank you :)

Reactions: sleepster

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's what I thought might be the case, 111 will be able to advise on your best course of action. Good luck :cat:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eaten carbs ( I ate these a few hours after dinner, which I treated as a snack , so didn’t have the nova rapid

I ate crackers with cheese ( about 5) plus small portion of crisps ,plus a bowl of sweet and salted popcorn

my diabetes team want daily updates ( my ketone level was high ) I also tested that and it’s 0. Something so normal I think

Thank you

Hi again,

working out the carb count of the crackers & crisps (excluding popcorn.) ideally, it should have been accounted for with bolus insulin..

Keep a close eye on BGs & ketone levels. as @sleepster suggested. call 111.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why exclude the popcorn, it's got carbs....? Mind you, given that @Grumpy Porridge hasn't been given any info about dosing yet, it's probably not that relevant....

My apologies, it has... Well, sort off... :oops:
I would not have excluded the carb content of the sweet & salted popcorn, however it's a bit of an "unknown quantity" for me doing the mental arithmetic at midnight in adition to calculation for the crackers & crisps..

I agree, we should also be mindful regarding dosing advice. :)

Reactions: EllieM

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I hope your feeling ok this morning, if your health care team are checking in daily they should be able to help you with doses.

It looks as though your snack would certainly have helped your BG increase. Any carbs over 10g will require insulin & a conservative guess is that you had about 30g as a snack which is very easily done.

I find snacking hard to avoid so I keep lots of low carb snacks to hand such as crisps below 10g, cottage cheese, any cheese without the crackers, salami, beef jerky, billtong, Pork scratchings, cucumber, cooked meats & peanuts in moderation.

Before you snack do a quick carb count & if you keep it below 10g you most likely won’t get a big rise.

Fawbs89

Thank you
Why didn't you have insulin for the snacks you ate which were all pure carbohydrates? FYI I take Novorapid

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

my diabetes nurse said I don’t need to take insulin before snacks .. guess it’s what I eat and how much of it though

so do I need to have insulin before eating anything with carbs ??

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I hope your feeling ok this morning, if your health care team are checking in daily they should be able to help you with doses.

It looks as though your snack would certainly have helped your BG increase. Any carbs over 10g will require insulin & a conservative guess is that you had about 30g as a snack which is very easily done.

I find snacking hard to avoid so I keep lots of low carb snacks to hand such as crisps below 10g, cottage cheese, any cheese without the crackers, salami, beef jerky, billtong, Pork scratchings, cucumber, cooked meats & peanuts in moderation.

Before you snack do a quick carb count & if you keep it below 10g you most likely won’t get a big rise.

Hi ,

Thank you for your helpful answer , :)

how do I measure how many carbs I am having ? And my diabetic try if nurse said you have to wait at least 5 hours after my novarapid injections ( which I have 20 mins prior to meals )

Its so complicated

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Download an app called carbs & cals. It has loads of meals & ingredients on there with their carb contents. Most packaging contains the amount of carbs but you may have to do some math regarding weight of food & how the packaging displays the number of carbs.

For example if you have 5 cream crackers & cheese that’s about 4 carbs per cracker & most cheeses are carb free so the carb count is 20g.

It’s really confusing at first but it takes practice & after 4 months I still don’t always get it right.

I wait 4hrs between insulin doses, it can be a bit annoying but novorapid lasts about 4hrs in your system & if you don’t wait you risk stacking & going hypo. This wait between doses means snacking is difficult which is why I choose low carb snacks that don’t need insulin.

I’d also really recommend you do the Bertie online course as this goes through carb counting in a lot of detail. A quick google will find it & it’s free.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Download an app called carbs & cals. It has loads of meals & ingredients on there with their carb contents. Most packaging contains the amount of carbs but you may have to do some math regarding weight of food & how the packaging displays the number of carbs.

For example if you have 5 cream crackers & cheese that’s about 4 carbs per cracker & most cheeses are carb free so the carb count is 20g.

It’s really confusing at first but it takes practice & after 4 months I still don’t always get it right.

I wait 4hrs between insulin doses, it can be a bit annoying but novorapid lasts about 4hrs in your system & if you don’t wait you risk stacking & going hypo. This wait between doses means snacking is difficult which is why I choose low carb snacks that don’t need insulin.

I’d also really recommend you do the Bertie online course as this goes through carb counting in a lot of detail. A quick google will find it & it’s free.

Crackers can vary in carb content. It normally give the amount per cracker on the Packet.. Jacobs is in the 5.4 ball park..

how do I measure how many carbs I am having ? And my diabetic try if nurse said you have to wait at least 5 hours after my novarapid injections ( which I have 20 mins prior to meals )

Hi,

What were your BG readings prior to the snacks?

You may well still have insulin onboard from your meal? However, you were snacking more carbs on top, probably as your bolus was tailing off from the task dealing with supper..

My estimation, is you could have had as much as 60gs worth? The crackers alone could have been 27g.

How are you feeling today?

I empathise it can be easy to loose track of the snacking...