Update: fat adapted and stable.

swttbsy5

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I have mostly been posting here with questions and problems. The process of getting to some kind of stability has not been quick or easy. As my body was adapting to a keto diet my glucose readings went a bit all over the place which confused me. I thought something was wrong. Also the ketone readings jumped around a bit and I still did not feel great. I was still crashing sometimes after food. It was not until I started intermittent fasting that things got better. And when starting out with fasting, things went up and down too with ketones and glucose readings and I felt pretty bad sometimes. However after a period of adaptation, on a very strict keto diet (less than 20g total carbs per day) and 16/8 fast every day things now are stable. The ketone readings don't change much, hovering around 2 - 2.5 and blood glucose is the most stable ever, hovering between 4 and 5. Usually low 4s and occasionally high 3s. Most importantly I feel great. No crashes. No hypos. Sleeping well. Weight is stable after an initial rapid loss. This is working so well. I have had blood tests done to make sure everything is ok and it is. Cholesterol is fine and no deficiencies. It has now been several months. My diet is mostly beef, chicken, fish, eggs, cheese, macadamia/brazil nuts, butter, olive oil, thickened and sour cream, some low carb veggies in limited amounts. Some people on this forum suggested intermittent fasting and I wish I listened to them sooner! @Lamont D @Brunneria I got scared when it didn't work instantly and the levels went a bit up and down. But I can say now that after extensive testing and experimentation that intermittent fasting and strict keto has solved my reactive hypoglycemia or postprandial syndrome or whatever it really is.

Reactions: KK123

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Wow!
I know how you feel. I know that disbelief that everyone tells you, you have to have carbs, it is ingrained in our psyche. When all along, they are making you ill.

It is absolutely brilliant that things are now going so well, and don't forget ever, that we only advised you, you took the chance that changing your mentality, your lifestyle and your eating habits would work and you persevered through the battle to get there.
You alone did this, it was your resolve that has proven the way forward and I hope your health gets better and the symptoms subside and get your life back.
Moving forward is also not easy, but if you have the same attitude and approach, you can start planning.

Congratulations!
Keep it up!
Keep safe
Best wishes.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But I can say now that after extensive testing and experimentation that intermittent fasting and strict keto has solved my reactive hypoglycemia or postprandial syndrome or whatever it really is.
Who cares what its called if you no longer have it!

Welcome to the world of taking control of your health.. empowering isn't it?

Well done you.

Donought

Yay - well done.. Sounds as though it's been tough but well done on sticking through it. I'm new to all this so learning from everything that everyone is posting.
You mentioned IF, I've been doing that for a while and am trying to continue -but can I ask, during the 8hr period of eating how long are you leaving between meals? My Endo said to me to eat something at least every 3 hrs which has knocked me as I have been trying to not snack and until friday I would eat breakfast (huge) at 10am then nothing until 5/6pm then nothing until breakfast the next day.

Cheers,
D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yay - well done.. Sounds as though it's been tough but well done on sticking through it. I'm new to all this so learning from everything that everyone is posting.
You mentioned IF, I've been doing that for a while and am trying to continue -but can I ask, during the 8hr period of eating how long are you leaving between meals? My Endo said to me to eat something at least every 3 hrs which has knocked me as I have been trying to not snack and until friday I would eat breakfast (huge) at 10am then nothing until 5/6pm then nothing until breakfast the next day.

Cheers,
D

I use IF every day, there are so many pluses to this including saving money because I'm only eating maybe twice a day.
My window is probably between five and seven hours, afternoon, evening, between midday and 7pm. I don't after 7pm, so I know that I'm okay before sleep.

I addressed the three hours advice in my last post on your thread.
This advice is given because of trying to eat a normal so called healthy diet.
But as you are now aware, we can't eat that, so t the advice to eat every three hours is because of the fallacy of eating four times a day, a carb driven healthy diet to stop you going hypo. However we know that if we don't have carbs, then we won't go hypo!
So, if you eat sensible, you should not have to eat every three hours.

Hope this helps

Keep safe

Donought

I use IF every day, there are so many pluses to this including saving money because I'm only eating maybe twice a day.
My window is probably between five and seven hours, afternoon, evening, between midday and 7pm. I don't after 7pm, so I know that I'm okay before sleep.

I addressed the three hours advice in my last post on your thread.
This advice is given because of trying to eat a normal so called healthy diet.
But as you are now aware, we can't eat that, so t the advice to eat every three hours is because of the fallacy of eating four times a day, a carb driven healthy diet to stop you going hypo. However we know that if we don't have carbs, then we won't go hypo!
So, if you eat sensible, you should not have to eat every three hours.

Hope this helps

Keep safe

Thanks Lamont - yes, just seen that. Getting to grips with how to reply, like posts etc. On my walk this morning I decided I was going to do IF 10-5/6 and see how that goes then shorten the eating part if I need to. Only issue I'm finding now is that as you said, no carbs no hypo but for me, my blood pressure sky rockets. I was 4hrs between meals yesterday (breakfast and lunch) due to work and by the time I could eat my blood pressure was 144/133. It's like playing wacko mole!