Covid in secondary schools

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m type 1 and am working in a secondary school in West Yorkshire which was about to go into tier 3. We have ppe but am I likely to be sent home as it’s a high risk area, a secondary school plus I’m type 1 and coeliac? I only started on Monday!

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
They aren't shielding the vulnerable this time around, especially in schools. :(

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m type 1 and am working in a secondary school in West Yorkshire which was about to go into tier 3. We have ppe but am I likely to be sent home as it’s a high risk area, a secondary school plus I’m type 1 and coeliac? I only started on Monday!

Hi there, as Ert says nobody is being asked to shield this time but if you fall into the VERY HIGH risk vulnerable group (ie those who did have to shield before) then they are saying you should work from home and if that's not possible, you should NOT go into the office anyway. Easier said than done of course. x

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that. Don’t really want to put my head above the parapet on my second day by hi-lighting my health problems (I was bullied by my last boss until the unions became involved because of discrimination) but I wondered if anyone else was in that situation. Probably a couple of thousand nurses are also type 1 or vulnerable so I’m not alone. X

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, hope you're doing well. I can't figure out how to post a link to the other thread where I wrote this, so I have just copied what I wrote. I hope it helps someone.

Just to debunk the myth that CEV was only for Type 1s with high HbA1c or additional conditions, I received an email confirming I was still on the CEV list and should not go to work.

The guidance states medical professionals can add people at their discretion, one consideration could be job. Teaching is a profession where distancing can be impossible depending on the setting you're in, so my consultant and GP agreed I should shield given the number of positive tests in my local area and school setting. I'm under 40, perfectly healthy weight, HbA1c consistently under 50 over the years, no other conditions other than Type 1. I've been given plenty of tasks to do from home which is alleviating pressure for others at the school and easily equates to me pulling my weight.

I hope you all stay safe!

Reactions: London36_

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They aren't shielding the vulnerable this time around, especially in schools. :(

If you receive the email/letter it states this can be used as proof that you need to work from home/not go in. I have received it but don’t work.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
If you receive the email/letter it states this can be used as proof that you need to work from home/not go in. I have received it but don’t work.
The government has changed its stance since lockdown on Thursday the 5th November for extremely vulnerable staff in schools; however, since September, there has been no shielding for vulnerable and extremely vulnerable staff in schools. The NHS is supposed to be posting out new letters.

Last edited: