High Blood sugar

Nat...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My blood sugar is 19.5 and I have no idea why it's so high. I've done nothing different today than I have for the last 2 years I've been diagnosed. I checked my ketones and luckily there are none present but it's so frustrating because I dont know why it's so high and it has been high all day and doesnt seem to be coming down.

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
My blood sugar is 19.5 and I have no idea why it's so high. I've done nothing different today than I have for the last 2 years I've been diagnosed. I checked my ketones and luckily there are none present but it's so frustrating because I dont know why it's so high and it has been high all day and doesnt seem to be coming down.
Hello, I’m newly diagnosed actually only a few days ago so I’m no expert! But a lot of people on here have said levels can run high if you might be ill or coming down with something, what’s your temperature like? Also, are you stressed?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

Is it possible that you could be coming down with an illness? A virus of some description or even "the virus" is going to drive your glucose levels up.

What is your chosen method of monitoring? Do you have Dexcom or Libre or are you finger pricking?

If finger pricking then maybe try a new pot of strips to verify the results. If using CGM then also do finger pricks to verify the results.

Nat...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used my libre and the libre glucose testing strips and my other meter just to verify the number. I did have a huge dissertation presentation worth 20 percent of my modules grade this morning so maybe that is it!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

Hope you are getting back in range.

What basal are you prescribed?

Vplum

I used my libre and the libre glucose testing strips and my other meter just to verify the number. I did have a huge dissertation presentation worth 20 percent of my modules grade this morning so maybe that is it!
Stress causes my BG to rise as does illness. Sometimes that's just what it does. The other morning my BG was 6.1, I had a zero fat zero added carb yoghurt which was 7g of carbs. I put in 2 units of insulin and within the hour by BG was 16. 2.5 hrs later is was pushing 20. Took a correction shot and finally came back into range at 3pm. The next day I woke up with a similar bg, had the same breakfast and BG peaked at 8. Irritating

Reactions: XxTinkerxx

Dj29067

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
same ive been like it for a couple of weeks inbetween 9 and 19 can not for the life of me get it lower than 9....usually can with exercise but notworking hope you get some positive reading soon

fingerpain

Possibilities for inaccurate reading ( from experience):
1) Libre won’t give exact blood glucose same as pricking test. During hypo and high validate it with prick test.
2) During prick test, clean your test area(finger) with water. Alcohol wipes gives wrong reading.
3) May be you’re removing the injection before it release entire insulin. Novarapid/ Levemir pens have display monitor which is not easily visible if you’re not in front of a mirror.
4) Time to review your Base insulin level or Bolus calculation. Check with Nurse/ Diabetician.
5) Be active with exercise/ jogging/ brisk walking. Don’t worry whichever not controllable by us.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would add the following to @fingerpain list
- check your insulin pens
- change your insulin to a new cartridge/pen
- check your meter with testing fluid. Or is that is not available, test someone else's blood sugars

We rely on our tech and insulin so much, we sometimes forget it can be faulty

In addition, try
- to get a good night's sleep
- not to stress too much
As these can cause your blood sugars to rise.
(I did say "try"!)