Eye Tests

Fearless36

So I'm a type 1 diabetic, and getting confused. I was told that I could get a free eye test with being a Type 1, and so checked out Specsavers near me and they had a bit on their website about doing free eyetests. Yet when I phoned, they wanted to charge me for the test some 60 GBP. When I asked about the website, I was told that I was reading it wrong. As a result, I cancelled the whole thing, but was just wondering what the take is and whether any one else had that experience?

I know there is another eyetest that I get done at the hospital too in relation to the diabetes where they put drops in and it stings like mad, but I thought this was the same test that Specasvers did (according to their website it is for diabetics only) so was a bit puzzled.

Any ideas? Here is a link to their website: https://www.specsavers.co.uk/eye-health/diabetic-retinopathy

Fearless36

Thanks, their website actually indicates it should be "free" but when I mentioned this on the phone she tried to tell me I had read it wrong. Either way, it put me off them for sure.

Dark Horse

Assuming you are a UK resident, tell the opticians that you want an NHS-funded eye test which you qualify for because you have diabetes. Do not ask them for 'an eye test for diabetics' otherwise they will give you their version of a screening test for diabetic retinopathy, for which they will charge.

In due course, you should receive an invitation for screening for diabetic retinopathy from your local diabetic eye screening programme - you will not be charged for this.

• Agree
Reactions: SimonP78 and lessci

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, their website actually indicates it should be "free" but when I mentioned this on the phone she tried to tell me I had read it wrong. Either way, it put me off them for sure.
Sorry but I think you kind of have read it wrong and are mixing up different things.

There's three tests.

One is the normal “free to diabetics“ Nhs eyesight test done is opticians

Then there’s the diabetic retinopathy screening test all diabetics get annually for free. This might be at the hospital, a local venue or in some areas at an opticians. You are invited by letter and it’s free. This is the one with stingy drops.

The other is the OCT test that specsavers charge for and one use for this is an even more detailed look at the eye checking for retinopathy amongst other conditions.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I use Boots opticians and get the peripheral vision test, pressure test check and the photographs (as per the hospital retinopathy test), and the standard 'read the chart' (although it's digital now) eye test and have never been asked to pay for anything since becoming diabetic.

Personal choice, but I intensely dislike Specsavers and believe that even a person with perfect vision is going to go home with a pair of glasses.

DizzyChick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Specsavers and just book an NHS eyetest and advise I’m eligible for free as I’m diabetic. Never had any issues

Reactions: MissMuffett

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Boots opticians and get the peripheral vision test, pressure test check and the photographs (as per the hospital retinopathy test), and the standard 'read the chart' (although it's digital now) eye test and have never been asked to pay for anything since becoming diabetic.

Personal choice, but I intensely dislike Specsavers and believe that even a person with perfect vision is going to go home with a pair of glasses.
I am not sure why you think Boots which is owned by the American company Walgreens, would be any less commercial than Specsavers. Also Specsavers operates as a franchise, so stores have different owners and management around the country. I have never had any problems or been encouraged to buy new glasses when I didn't need them.

walk39isl

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Free retinopathy eye test if gp demands it but recently I think the annual free eye test at any optician was dropped unless on state benefits ie Dwp benefits and the wording was changed to on nhs premises...ie one should pay for one's own eye tests or arrange a hospital eye test which puts one off completely.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Free retinopathy eye test if gp demands it but recently I think the annual free eye test at any optician was dropped unless on state benefits ie Dwp benefits and the wording was changed to on nhs premises...ie one should pay for one's own eye tests or arrange a hospital eye test which puts one off completely.
Where did you see this?
Retinopathy tests are still happening, never heard of GP demanding

eye tests are still free, but every 2 years rather than yearly. That is the only change I’ve heard of. However my father had glaucoma (and I’m over 40) which I think is still yearly, but I might be wrong on that one

looks like I am, it all depends on if the optician recommends sooner:
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-qu...nts/how-often-can-i-have-a-free-nhs-eye-test/

So if this has been changed can you point to where

Last edited:

walk39isl

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just read the same page but it was written in Nov 2019 and the review was in Feb 2020.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just read the same page but it was written in Nov 2019 and the review was in Feb 2020.
Okay, can you please point to where this is said. As the appointment I have next week asked if I get free tests and was no mention of not so doesn’t seem to have changed

walk39isl

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There may still be a free eye test if one has a family history of glaucoma as I was offered one in previous years but in the past two to three years at Specsavers too I was told that there are no free eye tests other than for Dwp state benefit claimants. It really depends on the gp practice and my optician did not want me to pay this year as gp was going to fund it. I paid the £25 and then had an hour long eye exam and gp rang up to okay it apparently. My Mum's mum had glaucoma due to smoking.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There may still be a free eye test if one has a family history of glaucoma as I was offered one in previous years but in the past two to three years at Specsavers too I was told that there are no free eye tests other than for Dwp state benefit claimants. It really depends on the gp practice and my optician did not want me to pay this year as gp was going to fund it. I paid the £25 and then had an hour long eye exam and gp rang up to okay it apparently. My Mum's mum had glaucoma due to smoking.
Well I trust specsavers as far as I can throw them. But that aside my local optician, a small one, said there was a change to only fund every 2 years unless optician recommended more

so I’d think it was more about the optician than the rules. But it might have changed, just not backed up by the nhs website

walk39isl

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have checked the NHS website for 2020 and glaucoma and diabetes are mentioned again for free eye sight tests however Specsavers still states that it is only certain income categories and that even if one has a family history of glaucoma one now has to satisfy a low income requirement or age criteria to get the free eye sight test. I could not download the Specsavers site page but have a look at it under criteria.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have checked the NHS website for 2020 and glaucoma and diabetes are mentioned again for free eye sight tests however Specsavers still states that it is only certain income categories and that even if one has a family history of glaucoma one now has to satisfy a low income requirement or age criteria to get the free eye sight test. I could not download the Specsavers site page but have a look at it under criteria.
https://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/nhs-eye-test#
under qualifying criteria, 2nd box, medical

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not sure why you think Boots which is owned by the American company Walgreens, would be any less commercial than Specsavers. Also Specsavers operates as a franchise, so stores have different owners and management around the country. I have never had any problems or been encouraged to buy new glasses when I didn't need them.
Most opticians, including Spec-savers would tweak your prescription a tiny bit from the last one and sell you a new pair of glasses. It’s all about money and probably a universal practice!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most opticians, including Spec-savers would tweak your prescription a tiny bit from the last one and sell you a new pair of glasses. It’s all about money and probably a universal practice!
That's why I go to Vision Express.. asked the guy doing the test if I needed a new pair and he said no way, minimal changes carry on as usual.
So I bought 2 pairs of reading glasses instead as the cheap one's from ebay were useless.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That's why I go to Vision Express.. asked the guy doing the test if I needed a new pair and he said no way, minimal changes carry on as usual.
So I bought 2 pairs of reading glasses instead as the cheap one's from ebay were useless.
I always found vision express to be good as a Main Street shop

I now go to a small boutique style because they can get better lenses and different style (transitions mirrored or xtra active as they are slight tint and darker in sun and I am light sensitive)

trouble with vision express and all big shops are that they are not good with customised lenses. I favour essilor lenses as they are the clearest and strongest I’ve found. Vision express couldn’t compare on lenses unfortunately