1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Eye Tests

Discussion in 'Benefits' started by Fearless36, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not universal luckily, problem with eye tests is that its actually a fair bit of guesswork. But many shops I have gone to have made small changes but didn’t recommend change when it’s small unless I wanted a style change

but you can easily go to multiple shops and get different prescriptions. It’s a good reason to try and stick with same person I have found

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Hubby always insists on Oakley lenses which VE do stock.. I just get the cheapies..(still expensive of course).

3. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I can’t have Oakley as my astigmatism exceeds 3 in one eye which is hugely disappointing as they do the best for sunglasses in my opinion.

The optician was able to go to a different supplier for more custom mirrored wrap around style in Oakley frames though. I do like me mirrored lenses! But I miss all the amazing Oakley colours

The astigmatism also means needing thinner, plus I need anti reflect and I want xtra active and now am in varifocals, so it adds up. Even before adding the darn frames

but I like wearing glasses and I like changing my look every year, cause I’m odd!

I do know the markup of lenses is massive. If I didn’t have a concern on my prescription I’d buy online

#23 Andydragon, Nov 12, 2020 at 1:56 PM
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  4. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I just had a specsavers eye test. They told me 2 yearly were free as a diabetic (unless the optician says more often). It used to be annual. I’m pretty sure your branch have it wrong. I remember checking the criteria afterwards as I thought it was still annual and hadn’t expected to pay. Although my prescription had changed it wasn’t enough to recommend new glasses or else the test would have been free! So much for specsavers trying to force you to buy new glasses. I actually said I wanted new ones but no dice.

The retinopathy check is annual and totally separate, and free on the nhs.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook