Bikman fans

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As an insulin user I can run hot or cold depending on my bgl... when in a good range I run cool but run hot when levels are higher then I'm used to. I can feel myself getting warmer. I can get quite hot and flustered if they are spiking rapidly. To the point where I feel cooked, but once back into a decent range I feel cool again. Also, protein and the effect of gluconeogenesis are an issue for me.
I have a T1D buddy on a pump, and he does the same, so it seems that Bikman is giving an incorrect piece of info. It's a small piece, but I felt my hackles rise as soon as I read it. My colleague also has to bolus for protein at 50% which again I have seen mentioned by others. In my case I run hot all the time, so cannot tell if my insulin is high or low. But I am T2 on orals so those things are hidden from me. All I can say is that since getting my bgl levels down and my Stage 1 insulin response working again, I seem to eat less that I used to, and I have put that down to the HF part of LCHF, i.e. diet saiety rather than a drop or increase in metabolism, I am now a TwoMAD feaster.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I have a T1D buddy on a pump, and he does the same, so it seems that Bikman is giving an incorrect piece of info. It's a small piece, but I felt my hackles rise as soon as I read it. My colleague also has to bolus for protein at 50% which again I have seen mentioned by others. In my case I run hot all the time, so cannot tell if my insulin is high or low. But I am T2 on orals so those things are hidden from me. All I can say is that since getting my bgl levels down and my Stage 1 insulin response working again, I seem to eat less that I used to, and I have put that down to the HF part of LCHF, i.e. diet saiety rather than a drop or increase in metabolism, I am now a TwoMAD feaster.

I think he is right about the insulin when it comes to insulin resistance and the other chronic conditions it can cause and how the medical world doesn't even look at in general, but focus on bgl's instead, along with the other points that were part of his presentation. I hadn't given the thermo stuff much thought until you mentioned it.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think he is right about the insulin when it comes to insulin resistance and the other chronic conditions it can cause and how the medical world doesn't even look at in general, but focus on bgl's instead, along with the other points that were part of his presentation. I hadn't given the thermo stuff much thought until you mentioned it.
That is why I backpedalled a bit on my review, since the thermal thing is small potatoes compared to what insulin does or does not do otherwise. However, I prefer to read what the front end endo's are finding even though they write their reports in endospeak, I am slowly learning how to interpret their way of talking. Bikman is useful in that he is trying to do the same decoding to make things understandable by the general public who do not read endospeak. We can all make mistakes, especially if it is not our direct centre of expertise, which I think is what happened here. I recently had a discussion on Acarbose where someone mistook it for Carbose They are the antithesis of each other.

Reactions: Tophat1900

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is why I backpedalled a bit on my review, since the thermal thing is small potatoes compared to what insulin does or does not do otherwise. However, I prefer to read what the front end endo's are finding even though they write their reports in endospeak, I am slowly learning how to interpret their way of talking. Bikman is useful in that he is trying to do the same decoding to make things understandable by the general public who do not read endospeak. We can all make mistakes, especially if it is not our direct centre of expertise, which I think is what happened here. I recently had a discussion on Acarbose where someone mistook it for Carbose They are the antithesis of each other.
Im not 100% sure if this might address some of your issues.. (not sure I understand most of it! but...)

https://fireinabottle.net

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im not 100% sure if this might address some of your issues.. (not sure I understand most of it! but...)

https://fireinabottle.net
After wading through a mass of verbiage, came to the point where he talks about burning off fat as heat
"This allows you to turn your stored fat into heat rather than stored chemical energy! You can just burn off your stored calories!" Note ATP is the chemical energy.
That is all he says about the process. Having re-read the section a couple of times, it is apparent but implied that the heating is occurring in the brown fat cells, which is actually their job as originally designed by the maker. But in other places he mentions it in relation to mitochondria which again I think is incorrect,

He also mentions the mitochondria handling saturated fats. Now most cells in the body are mitochondria, and they are simple furnaces that can just about deal with pyruvate and citrate but in actual fact only burn ATP. They can munch on glucose, some basic ketones, and short-chain fatty acids, but nothing complex. It seems mitochondria would not be able to deal with long or medium-chain fats, which must be enzyme zapped outside it.

Most papers I have seen say that it is the brown fat cells that heat the body. Mitochondria do generate some heat while actually storing or retrieving glucose into glycogen, and also when ATP is oxidated by use. I cannot confirm heat while idle or while fat burning. The references I found on Wikipedia say that brown cells produce non-shivering thermogenesis and mitochondria muscle cells by shivering. There is one controversial study in PLOS One that claims that mitochondria run themselves at 50C but this is heavily refuted elsewhere. Again the link to insulin and fat burning is not explained except that it happens????