1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Bikman fans

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by bulkbiker, Jan 9, 2020.

1. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

• Informative Informative x 8
  2. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Why an 8 month wait?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Chipping in here. I don't know what the reason is, but I do know it's quite common - on Amazon, at least. When a friend of mine was awaiting publication, it was on Amazon, to be reserved.

I also visited a Swedish online book site, and it is also available to reserve, but not buy, so it may not be just Amazon.

Others may know more, of course

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

It's to coincide with the proper alignment of the planets....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

New Bikman interview with Ivor Cummins:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  6. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That came up in my podcasts list. Will be listening to it tomorrow.

7. bulkbiker

What a brilliant interview.. short sweet and to the point.

Ben as usual knocks it out of the park!

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Em16

Em16 LADA · Active Member

Wow! thanks for posting that video. I was having a little worry this morning, having just really started LCHF diet, that I might be missing out/eating too much fat etc. etc. ...so, although some of the science did go over my head, I understood sufficiently what was being said to recover confidence in this eating (the value of which is certainly borne out in my excellent blood glucose readings).

On that subject, I am still trying out what works and what may not.......so presumably if I get it wrong sometimes that is not too desperate? (eg re-trying porridge yesterday....which I do love with a passion and keep having disbelief that it could be bad for me....and seeing the spike again). My reading rose from a lovely 4.4 to 12.9 at 1 hour. I think I might have answered my own question !!

• Like Like x 1
  9. bulkbiker

Yep you sure have..!
    I'm afraid it looks like bacon and eggs will be order of the day or maybe just coffee with cream for breakfast? Then again why is that "afraid" there.. it's more yummy anyway!

10. Em16

11. Em16

Yes.....there are definite bonuses to this diet....not least greek yogurt, yum yum yum and everyone in the household delighted to wake up to bacon, eggs, mushroom.....:):)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bulkbiker

It's always a winner..

13. pete254

pete254 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting @Indy51 that is a very interesting video. It succinctly sums up all the crucial information regarding low carb, hyperinsulinemia and blood glucose. I also found the white/brown fat discussion intriguing. Must get some more brown fat!

@Em16 don't give up on the porridge just yet. I get a 2 hour rise of 4+ if I eat it in the morning but in the evening it just causes a rise of 1.3 mmol. If you really like porridge like I do try it at a different time of day and test. Good luck.
    As @bulkbiker says have bacon & egg for breakfast instead. This is what I do and I feel great on it.

14. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

A Bikman quickie :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Jam&Scones

Jam&Scones MODY · Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting - hadn't heard of Ben before (I had come across Ivan before though and his CAC test...). Great video!

One thing he said really hit home for me; 'how many people have gone to the grave of a heartattack without even knowing they're diabetic?' I lost my father when he was barely 50 to a heartattack, his twin brother almost died of one and their sister has dementia. All diseases associated with diabetes. All have a sweet tooth. I cannot help but think that they all have/had high insulin and probably have no idea.

Now I am in my 30s with diabetes on a LCHF diet. I may have dodged a bullet.

(what I wouldn't give for an insulin meter though - that would be awesome. But I know the test is a little more involved as I have had it at the hospital before...)

• Like Like x 2
  16. bulkbiker

There is allegedly one under development but it has all gone a bit quiet on that front recently.

17. Jam&Scones

Jam&Scones MODY · Well-Known Member

Oh? Any links? Please don't tell me its being designed by Theranos :D

18. bulkbiker

Nothing I have ever found online but I did speak to the guy who was meant to be developing it a year or so ago.
    It has all gone a bit quiet since.

19. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

New BioHackers Lab interview - Dr Ben Bikman - Why We Get Sick from Insulin Resistance:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This one should be great!

Peak Human podcast #68: Dr. Ben Bikman, Dr. Jaime Seeman, and Dr. Aseem Malhotra Give a Health Masterclass

"Now onto this awesome panel discussion! We covered a bunch of stuff including why is fat not bad, but actually good? Why are the Dietary guidelines wrong and what’s stopping mainstream adoption? Is sugar a drug? Why carbs are actually worse than protein/fat for health. Insulin, longevity, and if there are any downsides or myths about these types of diets?"

Web;
    https://www.peak-human.com/post/dr-...d-dr-aseem-malhotra-give-a-health-masterclass

Apple;
    https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podca...sodeGuid=8a4deacc-0843-46ae-920c-3e42cdd755a3

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook