Retinopathy tests

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, been diabetic over 15 years, maybe longer. Can’t remember exactly (got me wondering myself now, will have to look into it).

Only actively improved weight, and diet since lockdown though
OK so it may have been building up over time.. and now you're doing something about it.. unlikely to have come about because of recent changes.. they are far more likely to "cure" it longer term.

walk39isl

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My gps at last and current practice are adamant that retinopathy eye test is to take place every year. I quite enjoy it but have a choice of venue. NHS is not doing them this year unless you are in danger of losing your sight imminently and I no longer get the ROMO reading just a one sided sheet and not the full blood test report either from gp just the micro report despite asking for the full report since changing address and gp.
Optician eye test report in July is 1.25 and 1.75 so obviously I wear glasses at work where I am known as "blind as a bat" and banned from certain work areas. It used to be 1.50 and 2.50 but I lost 14kg over last ten months due to walking an hour a day walk around the block and a few shorter walks of forty minutes twice a day plus 6 to 9 hour work shifts part time.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My gps at last and current practice are adamant that retinopathy eye test is to take place every year. I quite enjoy it but have a choice of venue. NHS is not doing them this year unless you are in danger of losing your sight imminently and I no longer get the ROMO reading just a one sided sheet and not the full blood test report either from gp just the micro report despite asking for the full report since changing address and gp.
Optician eye test report in July is 1.25 and 1.75 so obviously I wear glasses at work where I am known as "blind as a bat" and banned from certain work areas. It used to be 1.50 and 2.50 but I lost 14kg over last ten months due to walking an hour a day walk around the block and a few shorter walks of forty minutes twice a day plus 6 to 9 hour work shifts part time.
NHS is still doing the tests. Mine was done this year
It was done at a doctors though, is that what you mean? I’m also not in danger of losing my sight

I have never on over a decade had more than a simple one pager either

walk39isl

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There was a recent review of nhs provided services in Feb 2020 including not providing Accuchek Aviva blood test strips freeon prescription any more. The info about retinopathy eye tests is available on the North West London Eye Test Screening Retinopathy screening service telephone number since 30 June 2020 and they are only screening those in imminent danger if losing their sight and all other tests are suspended until 2021. I had mine done at Specsavers instead and paid for it. As for NHS annual and two yearly eye tests, NHS site on eye tests now specifies no free optician eye tests and free eye tests for Dwp state benefits claimants ie not housing benefit from local council claimants and it would seem that these have to be done on nhs premises not at an optician. It rather puts people off applying for the free eye tests that I have enjoyed for years.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There was a recent review of nhs provided services in Feb 2020 including not providing Accuchek Aviva blood test strips freeon prescription any more. The info about retinopathy eye tests is available on the North West London Eye Test Screening Retinopathy screening service telephone number since 30 June 2020 and they are only screening those in imminent danger if losing their sight and all other tests are suspended until 2021. I had mine done at Specsavers instead and paid for it. As for NHS annual and two yearly eye tests, NHS site on eye tests now specifies no free optician eye tests and free eye tests for Dwp state benefits claimants ie not housing benefit from local council claimants and it would seem that these have to be done on nhs premises not at an optician. It rather puts people off applying for the free eye tests that I have enjoyed for years.
You’ve said this in a few place but actual evidence is not backing it up, can you please point to this review and where it has been changed

might have been snuck out but can’t imagine the community would have not campaigned against it

having a father who went blind due to diabetes and the costs to the nhs, free eye tests are a drop in the ocean

walk39isl

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The retinopathy eye test is still free but ask your surgery about normal NHS eye tests - some surgeries pay for them at optician and others do not. The nhs decision to discontinue supplying Accuchek Aviva test strips on prescription took place in February 2020 and it listed which kit would be supplied and possibly what changes to free eye tests etc would take place on financial grounds. Ask at your surgery and they may be able to direct you to their webpage. The glaucoma rule only covers close relatives not the previous generation so my Mum's Mum is not relevant. I rather think it is a GP decision as to whether to pay for it within your care plan to preserve your eyesight or job prospects and a lot of receptionists still quote the two year free eye test rule even though I work and am not eligible for the free nhs eye test at my optician. I found the info on my gp website so if you trawl yours you may find it. Gp has since deleted it on his.
As for glasses I too have ordered a modest pair of glasses today at £19 plus postage in my current prescription.

Post edited by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The retinopathy eye test is still free but ask your surgery about normal NHS eye tests - some surgeries pay for them at optician and others do not. The nhs decision to discontinue supplying Accuchek Aviva test strips on prescription took place in February 2020 and it listed which kit would be supplied and possibly what changes to free eye tests etc would take place on financial grounds. Ask at your surgery and they may be able to direct you to their webpage. The glaucoma rule only covers close relatives not the previous generation so my Mum's Mum is not relevant. I rather think it is a GP decision as to whether to pay for it within your care plan to preserve your eyesight or job prospects and a lot of receptionists still quote the two year free eye test rule even though I work and am not eligible for the free nhs eye test at my optician. I found the info on my gp website so if you trawl yours you may find it. Gp has since deleted it on his.
As for glasses I too have ordered a modest pair of glasses today at £19 plus postage in my current prescription.

@walk39isl there are several factual inaccuracies in what you have posted on this thread.

Availability of free eye tests - including at non-NHS opticians is confirmed here: https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/free-nhs-eye-tests-and-optical-vouchers/
Accuchek Aviva: this may well be a local decision to you as it is clearly available via this set of CCGs: http://www.birminghamandsurroundsfo...ch 2020.pdf?uid=948807014&uid2=20206395659337

Reactions: oldgreymare

walk39isl

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It depends on your gp and whether they want to pay for the eye sight tests. I work and apparently even the retinopathy eye test is meant to be means tested. Mine generally pays for mine.

Dark Horse

It depends on your gp and whether they want to pay for the eye sight tests. I work and apparently even the retinopathy eye test is meant to be means tested. Mine generally pays for mine.
The diabetic retinopathy screening test is NOT means tested, it is free at the point of care to all people who are eligible for screening (over 12 years old, some sight in at least one eye and with a history of diagnosis of diabetes mellitus which is not gestational diabetes).

The North West London Diabetic Eye Screening Programme's website says this:-
As a result of the NHS responding to the coronavirus pandemic, you may have waited longer than normal for your diabetic eye screen. It is important that you now attend your screening test. Delaying your screening further may put you at increased risk of developing diabetic retinopathy (eye disease or sight loss).

During lockdown, we only screened those people with diabetes who were at high risk i.e. pregnant ladies or some of those in 3 or 6 month recall. Moving forward we will be starting to screen people with diabetes in a phased order.

1. If you are pregnant, under digital surveillance, newly diagnosed, had background retinopathy at last appointment (R1M0) or Did Not Attend your last appointment then you will be invited over the next few weeks and months.
  2. If at your last appointment you had no retinopathy or maculopathy (R0M0) then you are at much lower risk and we will invite you for screening next year.
http://www.nwldesp.co.uk/covid-19-update-patient-information/
So it is true that people who have had a previous 'no retinopathy' result (an R0M0 grade) will not be screened until next year. As the screening programme is in the process of moving people with no history of retinopathy to 2-yearly screening instead of annual screening, this is considered safe. As always,the advice is that if you develop visual symptoms between screenings, people should not wait until their next screening but see an optometrist as soon as possible.

People with diabetes are also entitled to a free eye test by an optometrist. This used to be available annually but is now every 2 years unless the optometrist agrees that it is necessary to have one sooner:-
https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/free-nhs-eye-tests-and-optical-vouchers/

walk39isl

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you read the wording on that site it says "should" be free to all those over the age of 12 with diabetes - your gp may beg to differ, alter the time scale to three years and eg decide to provide good meds and test strips and lancets and arm's length health care from her arm chair and telephone consultations twice yearly and a diabetes psychologist doing the same. My gp says wear your glasses and the norm is two yearly tests for drivers. Retinopathy eye tests are apparently going over to three to four yearly soon I hear. This has been on the cards for eight months.

Dark Horse

If you read the wording on that site it says "should" be free to all those over the age of 12 with diabetes - your gp may beg to differ, alter the time scale to three years and eg decide to provide good meds and test strips and lancets and arm's length health care from her arm chair and telephone consultations twice yearly and a diabetes psychologist doing the same. My gp s
If you read the wording on that site it says "should" be free to all those over the age of 12 with diabetes - your gp may beg to differ
You haven't quoted the exact wording or provided a link to it, but if you're referring to this:-
Who should be screened?
All patients aged 12 and over, with a diagnosis of diabetes should participate in the diabetic eye screening programme. This is the best way to ensure that risk of losing your sight is managed. Patients who have had bariatric surgery or no longer show the symptoms of diabetes should still attend for screening. Recent national guidance has confirmed this position.
http://www.nwldesp.co.uk/diabetic-eye-screening/
- the use of the word 'should' is just an acknowledgement that people cannot be forced to have screening and have the choice to opt out of it, though this is not recommended. If you go to the government's website it says:-
Target population
Diabetic eye screening is offered to anyone with diabetes who is 12 years old or over. They are invited for eye screening once a year.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/diabetic-eye-screening-programme-overview
GPs do not have the freedom to change screening intervals - once a patient has been notified to their local screening programme, screening appointments are under the control of the national diabetic eye screening programme. If any eligible person has not been referred to their local diabetic eye screening programme, they should raise it with their GP in the first instance.
Retinopathy eye tests are apparently going over to three to four yearly soon I hear. This has been on the cards for eight months.

Again, you haven't provided a link to your source. Currently, in the UK, screening intervals are yearly although there is a move to extend the screening intervals to every 2 years fro people who have no retinopathy detected during 2 successive screenings.
https://phescreening.blog.gov.uk/20...intervals-what-information-do-we-really-need/

There is some research into individualised screening intervals based on clinical parameters such as previous retinopathy results, blood pressure, HbA1c etc but this isn't something that's going to be happening soon in the UK.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had my retinopathy test this morning with the mobile one at my GP surgery, had the flu jab whilst waiting for my drops to work, told to book a double double appointment ?? Lol with the nurse for my bloods, foot check and smear so everything seems to be working as normal in my local surgery- worst bit of today - the sun is splitting the trees and I forgot to take sunglasses so I now have a splitting headache :(

Reactions: oldgreymare

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My 10-months-or-so-late checkup was yesterday at our local hospital. Up till the last couple of years they used to come to our local surgery. Social distancing seemed to be in evidence with a vengeance, there was only on person waiting for their appointment when I arrived, and one sort of lurking about when I left, though there were a lot of other people coming & going.

For the first time ever I had really bright red stinging eyes after the drops and it took me far longer to be able to see as what passes as normally for me again...:(:( Luckily I didn't have to cope with sunlight as the weather was doing it's best to drown me.

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had mine a couple of weeks ago at the opticians - she used a fancy machine (OCT I think it was called - cost £10 to have it done) but worth every penny when she said all looked ok including the floaters which I had which was all re-assuring to me as like everyone else I have not had my check-ups this year at the hospital, although I have a retinopathy appointment in a couple of weeks time so hopefully it will go ahead this time.
@Mrs T 123
hiya, could you tell me what the "OCT" , whole name is ,please? I'm in Spain and looking to have one done here and would like to know how to translate it.Thanks

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Optical Coherence Tomography.
La tomografía de coherencia óptica
Edited to tag @SMS1

Last edited:

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mr_Pot do you know exactly what this machine shows the optician and do you know if it is as good or better than the one they use in the hospital and also do they both check the same things or do they check different things? any knowledge would be much appreciated.
Optical Coherence Tomography.
La tomografía de coherencia óptica
Edited to tag @SMS1

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

mymuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had mine done today.

Mine last week (first time, after diagnosis in March). results letter today. "Some slight early diabetic changes" no treatment required, carry on controlling it, will rescan next year.

Amalia012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I forgot to update on my visit from another thread when i got called back for the OCT scan last month as the first one showed signs of diabetic maculopathy

thankfully came back all clear and now gone back to the yearly check ups, which was huge relief
Hi Zeee...any update on this. How did it go. Im soooo worried. I've been moved to every 3 months due to been diagnosed with diabetic maculopathy.