Retinopathy tests

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had mine done today.. faster than usual. Last one was Feb 2019 I discovered.
All ok according to the lady who did it but shall wait for formal results.

Hi,

I'm pretty confident you'll need "no fillings today." (Old toothpaste add.)
The people that normally do the scan, arn't usually at liberty to say either way..

I normally get mine done around this time on year.. Heard nothing in my neck of the woods.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Had mine done today.. faster than usual. Last one was Feb 2019 I discovered.
All ok according to the lady who did it but shall wait for formal results.

Good news is good news.

Max68

When I saw my optician a few weeks ago he said the check he/she does with a light shining to check the blood vessels is a better check than the retinopathy scan. Has anyone else heard this? If so, and we all visit our optician, why do we also need the retinopathy scan?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven’t had mine, but when I visited the optician in August, he had some snazzy new machine which included fully blown up scans where I could see floaters and all sorts and was assured all in order.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I'm pretty confident you'll need "no fillings today." (Old toothpaste add.)
The people that normally do the scan, arn't usually at liberty to say either way..

I normally get mine done around this time on year.. Heard nothing in my neck of the woods.
That's what I thought... but she did an overlay of 2019 against the new ones while I was sitting there.. To be honest I think they were bored much more chatty than usual.

Dark Horse

When I saw my optician a few weeks ago he said the check he/she does with a light shining to check the blood vessels is a better check than the retinopathy scan. Has anyone else heard this? If so, and we all visit our optician, why do we also need the retinopathy scan?
There are pros and cons of each method:-

The advantage of the slit lamp examination with a bright light looks is that it looks at the whole of the retina whereas the photography screening only covers some of the retina (including the macula and the disc).

The advantages of photography screening include:-
  1. It's better at picking up changes early (small changes can be identified on photographs that would be completely missed during slit lamp examination)
  2. All diabetic retinopathy image graders have a specific qualification in detecting and grading diabetic retinopathy. (Some opticians do elect to do this training but most do not have this level of knowledge.)
  3. Use of photography allows good quality assurance - all positive tests are agreed by at least one other person while negative results are sampled for re-testing to make sure individuals are not missing retinopathy. If there are any queries, the photographs can be shown to the consultant ophthalmologist associated with the screening programme. (With a slit lamp examination, the examiner works in isolation and mistakes would not automatically be detected.)
  4. Photographs are stored and can be compared from year to year. This enables comparisons to identify whether something is a worrying new change or a long-term feature which does not need further investigation. This avoids both over- and under-referral to ophthalmology.
  5. There are automatic referral pathways in place in the screening service so that if worrying retinopathy is detected, the patient is automatically referred to ophthalmology where further examinations take place including a slit lamp examination of the whole of the retina. This gives the best of both worlds.
  6. Photography screening is cheaper than slit lamp examinations so patients can be screened more frequently.
  7. Photography screening is free at the point of care.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine checkup was due early this year and I actually got a letter cancelling my appointment before I got the one making it. o_O I've finally got one in a couple of weeks time.

I've found some of the technicians are more chatty than others, but I usually get an unofficial OK.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had mine last week. Extra picture in one eye. A small cataract was seen. Hopefully keeping my bloods stable will minimise impacts of that. Only problem is it’s location is making my vision slightly blurred, but I can cope

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had mine a couple of weeks ago at the opticians - she used a fancy machine (OCT I think it was called - cost £10 to have it done) but worth every penny when she said all looked ok including the floaters which I had which was all re-assuring to me as like everyone else I have not had my check-ups this year at the hospital, although I have a retinopathy appointment in a couple of weeks time so hopefully it will go ahead this time.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had mine a couple of weeks ago at the opticians - she used a fancy machine (OCT I think it was called - cost £10 to have it done) but worth every penny when she said all looked ok including the floaters which I had which was all re-assuring to me as like everyone else I have not had my check-ups this year at the hospital, although I have a retinopathy appointment in a couple of weeks time so hopefully it will go ahead this time.
Did you mention you were an ex T2? I get my eye tests free..at the optician that is.

zeeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I forgot to update on my visit from another thread when i got called back for the OCT scan last month as the first one showed signs of diabetic maculopathy

thankfully came back all clear and now gone back to the yearly check ups, which was huge relief

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you mention you were an ex T2? I get my eye tests free..at the optician that is.
Just an eye test once every 2 years is free. The picture sounds like an extra that isn’t free and a lot of opticians have theses value added

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes tests are free but I had to pay £10 for the OCT one - it is optional if you want this test, you do not have to have it but it was quite interesting actually as very clear pictures of my eyes were on her computer screen and we could see even the floaters that I was seeing at that time in both eyes very clearly (crystal). IMO it was well worth the £10 for me to be re-assured as I have not had a retinopathy test at the hospital for well over a year now.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Result normal so that's done for another year.
Oddly received 2 letters saying exactly the same thing in the same post delivery..

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So typical that I jinxed it! I had a letter come through today saying I have signs of background retinopathy. No indication of severity or what to do now. Given my bloods have dropped so much I’m now in slight panic mode

Have also noticed my vision has got blurrier, thought it might be due to blood improvements but now adding to my stress due to reading about issues dropping bloods fast

have an optical appointment made for next week. They may not be able to do as in-depth as before but maybe will put my mind at rest!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So typical that I jinxed it! I had a letter come through today saying I have signs of background retinopathy. No indication of severity or what to do now. Given my bloods have dropped so much I’m now in slight panic mode

Have also noticed my vision has got blurrier, thought it might be due to blood improvements but now adding to my stress due to reading about issues dropping bloods fast

have an optical appointment made for next week. They may not be able to do as in-depth as before but maybe will put my mind at rest!
You're quite recently diagnosed though?
I had it when I was first diagnosed then after about a year of very low carb it all went away.
Have been clear for the past 3-4 years.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You're quite recently diagnosed though?
I had it when I was first diagnosed then after about a year of very low carb it all went away.
Have been clear for the past 3-4 years.
No, been diabetic over 15 years, maybe longer. Can’t remember exactly (got me wondering myself now, will have to look into it).

Only actively improved weight, and diet since lockdown though