Type 1 Covid and glucose levels

EllieLou

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone here had Covid or known any diabetics with Covid? Just wondering how their sugar levels reacted? Were there lots of lows or highs or pretty normal to manage?

I’ve been having a few symptoms and doing a test tomorrow morning but my sugars have been really high, the highest they’ve been in over 2years. I’m hitting 22mmol at the moment

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone here had Covid or known any diabetics with Covid? Just wondering how their sugar levels reacted? Were there lots of lows or highs or pretty normal to manage?

I’ve been having a few symptoms and doing a test tomorrow morning but my sugars have been really high, the highest they’ve been in over 2years. I’m hitting 22mmol at the moment

Hi,

Wishing you the best of luck with your test tomorrow.
Are you able to test for ketones? I would suggest phoning 111 of things get out of hand, BG wise.
Here are the "sick day rules" if your feeling unwell regarding "anything?" https://www.england.nhs.uk/london/w...abetes-Sick-Day-Rules-Type-1-MDI-06042020.pdf

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Are you able to test for ketones? I would suggest phoning 111 of things get out of hand, BG wise.

This times 1000. Blood sugars are known to rocket when you have a serious illness and high bgs plus ketones can put you into DKA pretty fast. Keep testing, follow those sick day rules, and don't hesitate to call for help if you have high ketones with those high levels.

Good luck.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This times 1000. Blood sugars are known to rocket when you have a serious illness and high bgs plus ketones can put you into DKA pretty fast. Keep testing, follow those sick day rules, and don't hesitate to call for help if you have high ketones with those high levels.

Good luck.

Bang on the button..

I found out I was type 2 diabetic after I tested positive for coronavirus. It was pretty tough like a really bad flu but I was ok after a week. I believe Corona raised my blood sugar to mid 400’s even after not a eating for a week. Now that I fully recovered with proper diet and one 500mg metformin pill at night. My fasting blood sugar is 108 mg/dl