Re-introduction from a member who disappeared!

rads41

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I am a type 2 diabetic and have been a member of this forum for 7 years. When I first joined my husband and I were trying for a baby and I really needed advice and support to manage my diabetes at the time. Enter stage left - the Diabetes Forum!!
Anyway, because of you guys I adopted LCHF and went in to have a healthy baby boy . He will be 4 in March! I can’t thank you enough for the advice and support given to me at the time.

So here’s my current situation, and please forgive me, I’m trying to stay positive. Since having my son I’ve struggled with LCHF. My sugars were beautifully controlled pre and during pregnancy and I fell off the wagon big time after he was born. Stupid, I know. Trust me, I feel stupid - I’m an engineer and consider myself fairly smart. Obviously I’m stupid about this issue though because I understand but I don’t do it. Now I should be more determined than ever to stay healthy for my son. The guilt I feel is unbearable and yet I struggle with this every day. I worry endlessly that I’ve done damage to myself that I can’t see yet but can’t reverse. My diagnosis was 14 years ago and I didn’t really pay much attention to my diabetes until I tried to get pregnant. As I said - stupid. My HBa1c results have been around the 8.6 mark and I have no diabetic complications apart from a wee bleed in the back of my eye ( this hasn’t become any worse). I take insulin and metformin.

Anyway, sorry for the long post/pity fest. Stage 1 of my plan was to get my sorry self back on here, engage and stay engaged, give and get support and move forwards.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Rads41

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome back.

Congratulations on the birth of your baby. I know that after a baby is born your whole world turns upside down.

Now that you have come back it is time to stop beating yourself up about the past and look to the future as a healthy person for your son and partner.

I also consider myself reasonably intelligent however, my relationship with food is way outside logic. You know what you have to do and you've done it before. Now that you've started getting the right mental state the rest can follow.

Good luck!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All I can say is Wow! You are amazing! You controlled your BGs well during pregnancy, what a wonderful achievement. Well done you. You should feel proud:)

I agree with @VashtiB stop beating yourself up, most of us struggle sometimes. You have done it before and you can do it again, you have lots of lovely years ahead with your boy and you will enjoy them more if you are fit and healthy.

So welcome back, you are in the right place. :) Now for the next stage of your plan. :)

Reactions: DJC3 and Lamont D

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
One of the pillars of me fighting Type 2, was not being able to fully see my daughters face, who was about 18 feet away from me.

Children are a great inspiratory reason to regain as much health as possible, but also be motivated for yourself.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome back @rads41 and congratulations on the birth of your healthy baby 4 years ago. Congratulations on keeping control of your blood glucose during pregnancy too, and more congratulations for coming back here! You should be very proud of your achievements. As @VashtiB says, our relationship with food often defies logic - it’s very little to do with intelligence.
For me, just logging into the forum every day really helps keep me focussed. I post my fbg even when it’s high and I post my food in a different thread, even when I’ve eaten badly. It helps keep me accountable to myself.
You’ll do it again, you have even more reason to get back in control now. Go for it.

Reactions: rads41

rads41

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome back.

Congratulations on the birth of your baby. I know that after a baby is born your whole world turns upside down.

Now that you have come back it is time to stop beating yourself up about the past and look to the future as a healthy person for your son and partner.

I also consider myself reasonably intelligent however, my relationship with food is way outside logic. You know what you have to do and you've done it before. Now that you've started getting the right mental state the rest can follow.

Good luck!

rads41

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@VashtiB Thank you for your kind words - you're absolutely right - my relationship with good completely defies logic . Onwards snd upwards! Xx

rads41

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
All I can say is Wow! You are amazing! You controlled your BGs well during pregnancy, what a wonderful achievement. Well done you. You should feel proud:)

I agree with @VashtiB stop beating yourself up, most of us struggle sometimes. You have done it before and you can do it again, you have lots of lovely years ahead with your boy and you will enjoy them more if you are fit and healthy.

So welcome back, you are in the right place. :) Now for the next stage of your plan. :)
@zand you are very kind, thank you

rads41

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
One of the pillars of me fighting Type 2, was not being able to fully see my daughters face, who was about 18 feet away from me.

Children are a great inspiratory reason to regain as much health as possible, but also be motivated for yourself.
Oh my goodness @Mbaker! They are motivation indeed. I really hope you managed to get your diabetes under control and your eye issues resolved
Welcome back @rads41 and congratulations on the birth of your healthy baby 4 years ago. Congratulations on keeping control of your blood glucose during pregnancy too, and more congratulations for coming back here! You should be very proud of your achievements. As @VashtiB says, our relationship with food often defies logic - it’s very little to do with intelligence.
For me, just logging into the forum every day really helps keep me focussed. I post my fbg even when it’s high and I post my food in a different thread, even when I’ve eaten badly. It helps keep me accountable to myself.
You’ll do it again, you have even more reason to get back in control now. Go for it.
thankyou @DJC3 thank you also for your kind words. You are all so lovely and supportive on here. I think I’ve realised that, although my family and friends are amazing, it doesn’t compare to the understanding we get from others who are living it. Posting fbs and food is a great tip - I’m going to start posting too, good or bad! Great way to stay focussed as you said. Thank you

Reactions: Speedbird and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome back @rads41

Pretty sure that posting back here means you’re getting into a place where you can nail this again.

Reactions: rads41

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh my goodness @Mbaker! They are motivation indeed. I really hope you managed to get your diabetes under control and your eye issues resolved

thankyou @DJC3 thank you also for your kind words. You are all so lovely and supportive on here. I think I’ve realised that, although my family and friends are amazing, it doesn’t compare to the understanding we get from others who are living it. Posting fbs and food is a great tip - I’m going to start posting too, good or bad! Great way to stay focussed as you said. Thank you

I couldn’t agree more. My family are wonderful and supportive but they don’t understand how much our world revolves around those little numbers. A higher than expected fbg colours my mood for the whole day. Thank goodness for the forum and people who are living it.