High readings

maxgarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone. Advice please. I have been type 2 diabetic for several years. Currently on Gliclazide, Empagliflozin and insulin. I have other issues to complicate things but am experiencing swelling and numbness in both legs/feet. My left foot has lost a lot of feeling with three toes almost totally numb.
My latest HbA1c is 58, but my daily monitoring ranges from 4.2 before breakfast up to 18.5 as the day progresses. Surely this is not acceptable?

maxgarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What are you eating?
Hi, I have had the same diet for years. Today my breakfast was porage with a mixture of water and semi-skimmed milk. 1 hour after, my reading was 8.8, up from 5.1 before breakfast. However, yesterday the similar readings were 12.1 and 3.8, and the day before were 12 and 4.8. I am not low carb but try to eat sensibly. It just seems that these raised readings need more attention i.e. medication adjustment.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have had the same diet for years. Today my breakfast was porage with a mixture of water and semi-skimmed milk. 1 hour after, my reading was 8.8, up from 5.1 before breakfast. However, yesterday the similar readings were 12.1 and 3.8, and the day before were 12 and 4.8. I am not low carb but try to eat sensibly. It just seems that these raised readings need more attention i.e. medication adjustment.

Hi,

We can't advise altering your med dosage. That would need to be regarding consultation with your HCPs.

I would have to admit porridge is a tricky one to bolus for..
What insulin/s are you prescribed?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could you swap porridge for bacon and eggs for a few days to see if it makes a difference.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm afraid you do need to think about that low-carb diet; porridge is not good for most of us. What insulin(s) are you on? Having both Gliclazide and insulin is unusual as they do a similar job.

Reactions: ert

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could you swap porridge for bacon and eggs for a few days to see if it makes a difference.

Hi,

Though I wouldn't disagree with the breakfast menu idea.

The OP does appear to spike an hour later, then come back to the sub 4s & 5s??
Establishing type of insulin & if insulin taken is a fixed dose would be preferable before advising a change in carb content.
It could unfortunatly make a hell of a "difference."

Last edited:

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm on low carb and it works. If I even look at or think about wheat, white or whole grain, etc, my BG goes through the roof. Now, bacon and eggs. Not a problem, for me, at least. I cannot do carbs at all.

Reactions: ert