Coronavirus vaccines for diabetics

sorchao

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Trying to get my Libre unstuck after 14 days
Has anyone seen any research on the three main coronavirus vaccines in the pipeline and their effectiveness in diabetic populations? I’ve been able to find specifics about their effectiveness in elders, but not any other group - I’d be really interested in hearing whether any of the trials have looked at other ‘vulnerable’ populations, including diabetes.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve not seen anything. I would imagine that this will be trialed further down the line as the study samples are not huge. Effectiveness by age group is an easy one to measure at first since the immediate goal is to answer the question - does this work? Followed by - is this safe?

I read a headline that diabetics would be high up on the vaccination priority protocol but admittedly I didn’t follow that up.

But my understanding is that having diabetes does not mean vaccines are less effective, just that we are more likely to become seriously ill should we contract the disease. The flu & covid diseases do not seek out diabetics but if we become ill we are more likely to be seriously ill.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Reactions: TashT1

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve not seen anything. I would imagine that this will be trialed further down the line as the study samples are not huge. Effectiveness by age group is an easy one to measure at first since the immediate goal is to answer the question - does this work? Followed by - is this safe?

I read a headline that diabetics would be high up on the vaccination priority protocol but admittedly I didn’t follow that up.

But my understanding is that having diabetes does not mean vaccines are less effective, just that we are more likely to become seriously ill should we contract the disease. The flu & covid diseases do not seek out diabetics but if we become ill we are more likely to be seriously ill.
We are not significantly high on the priority list really
Quick Google, other news sites reporting same priorities:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/new-priority-list-who-covid-4746083

Reactions: TashT1

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Small mercies...
Why are you so anti vaccination? I have worked in countries where serious deseases are endemic and had lots of vaccinations, I didn't get the deseases or any side effects.

Reactions: zand

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't get the deseases or any side effects.
Lucky you.. Plenty of other people have been harmed by vaccines old and new.
Plus of course the current COVID vaccines are rushed, relatively untested and for the most part use new methods that have never been monitored in the human population but are being pushed on everyone.. way too soon in my humble opinion.
With the survival rate from COVID far higher than the claimed "protection' given by vaccines it all seems fairly pointless.
Get your own immune system in order seems far better advice.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lucky you.. Plenty of other people have been harmed by vaccines old and new.
Plus of course the current COVID vaccines are rushed, relatively untested and for the most part use new methods that have never been monitored in the human population but are being pushed on everyone.. way too soon in my humble opinion.
With the survival rate from COVID far higher than the claimed "protection' given by vaccines it all seems fairly pointless.
Get your own immune system in order seems far better advice.
Or you could do both: improve your immune system and have the vaccine.

Reactions: Lamont D

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or you could do both: improve your immune system and have the vaccine.
I could provided of course that's its my choice and no restrictions are placed on me should I decide not to.
However I'm pretty sure I know which will be the most effective.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lovely people.

The topic is not a pro/con debate. Is this jab effective for diabetics.
Any further derailments will have to go. With possible endorsements levied to those concerned.

Stay lucky! :cool: & be safe. :)

Reactions: sorchao

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would there need to be a different vaccination for type 1, type 2 and all of the different groups? The mind boggles at the permutations

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
We are not significantly high on the priority list really
Quick Google, other news sites reporting same priorities:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/new-priority-list-who-covid-4746083
Last Thursday, I asked an Immunologist at Cambridge why those on the Shielding list rolled out in March don't appear on the Vaccination priority list. Because tests have not been done with, for example, transplant recipients who are at the top of the list, it does not mean that they have slipped in significance. There will be more known as things progress.

sorchao

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Trying to get my Libre unstuck after 14 days
The Novavax has included diabetics on their trial. I'm one of them. Oxford didn't. Pfizer hasn't published its data. Moderna has been tested on a subgroup of diabetics and was safe.

Thanks so much for this info, ert, that’s really useful to know, even if incomplete. I’m in Ireland and we’re in line to get the Pfizer one first, so I’m particularly interested in that, but I guess we will get more info the closer it gets.