Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Anyone experienced this?

Ever since I inserted my last dexcom sensor (4 days ago) I have an intermittent sharp pain in my arm at the insertion site. The sensor works fine, so I could keep using it, but I'm not sure what is causing the pain, and this is a concern. It doesn't change when I press on the sensor.

Any thoughts? Do I just abandon the (working) sensor?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone experienced this?

Ever since I inserted my last dexcom sensor (4 days ago) I have an intermittent sharp pain in my arm at the insertion site. The sensor works fine, so I could keep using it, but I'm not sure what is causing the pain, and this is a concern. It doesn't change when I press on the sensor.

Any thoughts? Do I just abandon the (working) sensor?

Hi Ellie,

You probably know I use a Libre.
However, pending on where you placed it, could you have twanged some muscle tissue?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
Any chance you think there’s a bruise underneath it? I’ve had one which was quite painful, it was painful doing my daily routine including sitting and standing up. I kept it on for the full 10 days.

Or you hit a nerve or a small bleed?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
When ever I put sensors on my arms libre or dexcom I get constant pain.. I tried a dexcom just a few weeks ago removed it after 2 hours as had constant stabbing pain which was unbearable

So I wont use arm any more.. I don't have much fat on my arms so probably getting muscles or nerves

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hmm, am guessing I've hit a muscle or nerve then. Much prefer not to put dexcom on my stomach, but I have a lot less fat on my arms than I used to (going to gym may not have reduced my weight but it has made the puny muscle on my arms slightly less puny. I think I might have a bit of a bruise, though as it's under the dexcom plater it's hard to tell.

It alternates between being fine for hours and then quite painful. I guess I'll leave it there a bit longer....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm, am guessing I've hit a muscle or nerve then. Much prefer not to put dexcom on my stomach, but I have a lot less fat on my arms than I used to (going to gym may not have reduced my weight but it has made the puny muscle on my arms slightly less puny. I think I might have a bit of a bruise, though as it's under the dexcom plater it's hard to tell.

It alternates between being fine for hours and then quite painful. I guess I'll leave it there a bit longer....

Do you feel it more when you straighten the arm out perchance?
I wear mine inside the arm.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use Libre, but the very first one that I used, which the person showing us how to use them insisted she insert for me, was painful and put me off using them for a while. No bruise or bleeding, so it's probably hit a nerve or muscle. I have no problem with lack of fat on my arms unfortunately!!!

Do hope it settles down for you.

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Do you feel it more when you straighten the arm out perchance?
I wear mine inside the arm.

Not really, I've got it on the back of my arm atm, will try inside next time.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not really, I've got it on the back of my arm atm, will try inside next time.

To be fair, I'm pretty wiry myself. Even on the inside I get the odd (what I call.) "twang" once in a while..
But I have a high pain threshold. Lol, I had an anti-VEGF injection as the anaesthetic was wearing off. I normally see the needle comming in "3D," not feel it..