Metformin

jimclark62

Hi. New to the forum. Was diagnosed as type 2 in Jan 2017. Diet controlled until 3 months ago.

I had surgery in June for prostate cancer and blood sugar was high immediately after. Fasting running between 11.5 to 12.5.

Started on Metformin at 1000 mg/d without much joy. Have moved up to 1500 mg/d about a month ago. Fasting blood sugar still running between 9.5 to 11.

I am not a big sugar eater and never have been.

Any advice really welcome.

Jim

Reactions: scoop

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

The thing is that for diabetics it is not just sugar- it's all carbs.

Read the link below- it is a great way to get started.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

It sounds like you have a meter which is a great way to start you on your journey. The fasting blood sugar levels is often the last to one down- google dawn phenomena and read a bit about it.

Many others with way better advice will be here soon so I will just finish with a welome.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Hi. New to the forum. Was diagnosed as type 2 in Jan 2017. Diet controlled until 3 months ago.

I had surgery in June for prostate cancer and blood sugar was high immediately after. Fasting running between 11.5 to 12.5.

Started on Metformin at 1000 mg/d without much joy. Have moved up to 1500 mg/d about a month ago. Fasting blood sugar still running between 9.5 to 11.

Any advice really welcome.

Jim
Heard this one many times especially from myself.
My cups of tea which I have a lot of would have a tinge of sugar on the end of a wet teaspoon .... nothing you could weigh or count or measure ... turned out to be giving me problems.
Got rid of it and went totally sugar free in my cuppas and that was problem solved.
I'm not a big sugar eater and never have been been .... always attracts my attention and makes me think ..... but.
Ok so you're obviously a little sugar eater.
Have a really good look at that.
In fact maybe keep a little diary of what a little sugar eater you are and it might shock you.
In that little diary put in the little snacks .... had a biscuit had a packet of cheesy wotsits an onion bhaji a slice of toast?
Put them all in the diary or even just a note on the wall or stickys on the kitchen door ..... they'll mount up and give you a good look at what I am not a big sugar eater and never have been might actually mean in reality.
I was quite shocked by my carb intake when I did this.
Good while back now and so many little things were changed that resulted in a large improvement.