Insulin pen storage period

Bassalt

Hello All

I'm a recently inducted member of the diabetic community and am concerned about my storage of insulin pens (amongst other things).

Basically my first supply of unopened pens have sat for two weeks in a cool place but not in the fridge at required 4 - 8 degrees.

I now have them in the fridge but wonder if it is too late to save them-will they have to be ditched in two weeks or will putting them in the fridge extend their life a bit.?

Many thanks

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, @Bassalt , and welcome to the forum!

I would be wary after a couple of weeks. Why not call your pharmacist to ask?

I've had my fridge malfunctioning for a few weeks last year. The insulin stored still worked, but as far as I know not nearly as good as it's supposed to. In my country insulin is covered by insurance so I ditched the whole lot after only a little experimenting. Had I lived in a country where you have to pay for insulin I would have experimented a little more.

I've heard many people say they've used unrefrigerated insulin without problem, but that's not my experience.
Seeing as you're new to diabetes, you might still be working out dosage. Insulin only working a little could set you back in that.

If you decide to keep using it, take special care when you start your next batch of insulin, if the current supply has lost some of it's potence you might go hypo when you get fresh insulin.

Good luck, and let us know how this ends!

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read somewhere today to ditch after 28 days if not being refrigerated.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I read somewhere today to ditch after 28 days if not being refrigerated.
That 28 day period is after opening. Unused vials, cartridges or pens last for years if refrigerated. I haven't had problems with unrefrigerated insulin either, but then I haven't allowed it to get too hot.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That 28 day period is after opening. Unused vials, cartridges or pens last for years if refrigerated. I haven't had problems with unrefrigerated insulin either, but then I haven't allowed it to get too hot.

New at this, but I agree if unopened and refrigerated lasts for ages/to its date. If unrefrigerated or opened and unrefrigerated then it’s 28 days. I guess it will say in/on the pack.

masonap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celebrity pop stars, football.
If you use so little that a pen lasts more than 28 days why don’t you get a cool pack to keep it in then you shouldn’t have any issues.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
I use Lantus and only refrigerate unopened pens in the summer. I always put it in the fridge after it has been opened.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Lantus and only refrigerate unopened pens in the summer. I always put it in the fridge after it has been opened.

Wrong way round. Unopened pens should always be kept refrigerated. Opened can remain out, unless very hot. Then something like a Frito bag can be used. In the Uk about once in a blue moon!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello All

I'm a recently inducted member of the diabetic community and am concerned about my storage of insulin pens (amongst other things).

Basically my first supply of unopened pens have sat for two weeks in a cool place but not in the fridge at required 4 - 8 degrees.

I now have them in the fridge but wonder if it is too late to save them-will they have to be ditched in two weeks or will putting them in the fridge extend their life a bit.?

Many thanks
I'm afraid I would ditch them. Insulin must be kept in the fridge. Once you start on a pen its fine at room temp. for two weeks but no more. As yours has already been out of the fridge for two weeks, its won't then keep for a longer period if you put in in the fridge now. I always write the date on my pen when I remove it from the fridge then throw it away if any remains after two weeks.

Reactions: Ofuma

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm afraid I would ditch them. Insulin must be kept in the fridge. Once you start on a pen its fine at room temp. for two weeks but no more. As yours has already been out of the fridge for two weeks, its won't then keep for a longer period if you put in in the fridge now. I always write the date on my pen when I remove it from the fridge then throw it away if any remains after two weeks.

Hi,

Insulin can be stored at room temp for upto 28 days..
More info here; https://www.uclh.nhs.uk/PandV/PIL/Patient information leaflets/Looking after your insulin.pdf

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Once you start on a pen its fine at room temp. for two weeks but no more.
Most insulins are good for at least 4 weeks outside the fridge, according to the leaflet. Some of them like tresiba are even fine for double this time.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wrong way round. Unopened pens should always be kept refrigerated. Opened can remain out, unless very hot. Then something like a Frito bag can be used. In the Uk about once in a blue moon!

Yep, Frio wallets are great at keeping at a stable temp. Either holidaying in hot climates or a hot day working in a van or truck??
With or without AC a vehicle can get hot when stopped on the "job."
(Not wise to cook it.)