Breakfast

Bergkamp777

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can anyone please suggest what I can eat for breakfast as my BS seem to have spiked

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon and eggs? Anything with eggs or meat - as few carbs as possible.

What do you normally have for breakfast?

Loving your username BTW!

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I usually have berries and yogurt with a sprinkle of low carb granola. Omelettes, bacon and eggs. If I'm out early I have a nature valley protein bar. None of these raise my blood sugars.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone please suggest what I can eat for breakfast as my BS seem to have spiked

Hi Bergkamp - It could be helpful to know what your spike is, and what you've been eating at breakfast time recently? On that basis, we'll more likely be able to make appropriate suggestions.

Are there any foods you just can't or don't eat?

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I eat upto 80Grams of oats for breakfast some days, just depends what carb cycling day I’m on. On my low carb day I still eat 60grams of oats which is stacked with carbs especially for breakfast. I find if I take my insulin just as I eat I will spike massively to around 16-18. If I take insulin 15/20mins before breakfast I hardly have any spike at all. People tend to be more insulin resistant on a morning

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I eat upto 80Grams of oats for breakfast some days, just depends what carb cycling day I’m on. On my low carb day I still eat 60grams of oats which is stacked with carbs especially for breakfast. I find if I take my insulin just as I eat I will spike massively to around 16-18. If I take insulin 15/20mins before breakfast I hardly have any spike at all. People tend to be more insulin resistant on a morning
Maco - that would be a very heavy carb load for a type 2.
I find more than 30g of carbs in a meal really causes spikes for me. I restrict breakfast to 20g max.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hello @Bergkamp777 ,

Morning spikes may have something to do with dawn phenomenon, so could well be you are seeing higher numbers because of that. If you've been having interrupted sleep, nightmares, etc, those might up your blood sugars before you even eat, courtesy of your liver dumping glucose to help you start the day. But I'm with the others... Eggs with bacon or salmon, high meat content sausages, cheese... The combinations with eggs are next to endless. (Bit of erythritol with cinnamon omelette, or extra dark chocolate drops with cream drizzled over is good too. :)) Full fat Greek yoghurt with berries, walnuts, pecans or coconut shavings sound alright? I don't usually eat in the morning, but when I do, eggs are my go-to, really...

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Maco - that would be a very heavy carb load for a type 2.
I find more than 30g of carbs in a meal really causes spikes for me. I restrict breakfast to 20g max.

My apologies, didn’t see the part about the OP being type 2. I carb cycle as part of my diet & training routine, after training I can eat as much as 100Grams of Rice Krispie cereal which has 86grams of carbs in it. Good job my carb counting is accurate