Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there

I don’t think there’s a definitive answer. Looks from other posts that you’re type 2. Are you taking any medication for it or using insulin? Do you have a way to test your ketone levels? It’s the combination of high blood glucose and ketones that is of most concern.

If you’re seeing very high numbers I’d give your GP a call or if 20 mmol or above, call 111.

Stephanie 1233

Hi I am on 2000mg metformin and type 2 .
Hi there

I don’t think there’s a definitive answer. Looks from other posts that you’re type 2. Are you taking any medication for it or using insulin? Do you have a way to test your ketone levels? It’s the combination of high blood glucose and ketones that is of most concern.

If you’re seeing very high numbers I’d give your GP a call or if 20 mmol or above, call 111.

Sent from my ZTE BLADE V0800 using Diabetes Forum mobile app

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I am on 2000mg metformin and type 2 .

Then it’s very unlikely you’d get DKA, which is what happens when very high blood glucose and elevated ketones coincide. However, if you’re worried, give the doc a call.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
What is a dangerous sugar reading on a glucose mointer I have never been told this ?

There's two kinds of dangerous here - short term keel over dead if not treated dangerous and long term give you diabetic complications if you run those levels for too long dangerous.

1) Short term dangerous are hypos - your bg goes down below 4 (at which point you can start to get confused and eventually keel over if it's down to the 2s). Not an issue for you on your current medication. The other is DKA - high blood sugars (usually over 15) over many hours together with high levels of ketones (note you get some ketones with dietary ketosis and that is normal and safe). It's caused by lack of insulin so is not usually an issue for T2s who typically over produce (though very long term T2s can eventually burn out their insulin producing cells). Having said that, many many T1s/LADAs (LADA is slow onset T1) get initially misdiagnosed as T2 and only get the T1 diagnosis when they present to A&E with a blood sugar of 30 and high levels of ketones. Whatever your type, contact a medical professional if you're running that high, because it really isn't good.

2) Long term damage leading to all those potential diabetic complications. Ideally, you want to keep your bg below 8 most of the time (non diabetics do exceed that occasionally). As a T1 for 50 years I aim for under 10 for as long as I can manage but know that my life span will be impacted slightly by my non normal levels. But I've kept the complications at bay so far so that's good enough for me. Your hba1c is a good measure of average blood sugar (though it doesn't detect lows and highs) so it's one easy measure that doctors use to see how your levels are going.

Good luck.

Stephanie 1233

Thank you for your help :) .
There's two kinds of dangerous here - short term keel over dead if not treated dangerous and long term give you diabetic complications if you run those levels for too long dangerous.

1) Short term dangerous are hypos - your bg goes down below 4 (at which point you can start to get confused and eventually keel over if it's down to the 2s). Not an issue for you on your current medication. The other is DKA - high blood sugars (usually over 15) over many hours together with high levels of ketones (note you get some ketones with dietary ketosis and that is normal and safe). It's caused by lack of insulin so is not usually an issue for T2s who typically over produce (though very long term T2s can eventually burn out their insulin producing cells). Having said that, many many T1s/LADAs (LADA is slow onset T1) get initially misdiagnosed as T2 and only get the T1 diagnosis when they present to A&E with a blood sugar of 30 and high levels of ketones. Whatever your type, contact a medical professional if you're running that high, because it really isn't good.

2) Long term damage leading to all those potential diabetic complications. Ideally, you want to keep your bg below 8 most of the time (non diabetics do exceed that occasionally). As a T1 for 50 years I aim for under 10 for as long as I can manage but know that my life span will be impacted slightly by my non normal levels. But I've kept the complications at bay so far so that's good enough for me. Your hba1c is a good measure of average blood sugar (though it doesn't detect lows and highs) so it's one easy measure that doctors use to see how your levels are going.

Good luck.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I was thinking about getting a ketone test kit or strips

Sent from my ZTE BLADE V0800 using Diabetes Forum mobile app
There are meters that do both blood sugars and ketones with the proper strips.

For instance the Caresens Dual and also the Libre reader can use ketone strips as well as glucose strips

Reactions: Stephanie 1233

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
But be aware that ketone blood testing strips tend to be very expensive compared to glucose testing strips so you don't want to be using too many of them....(Unless your doctor is giving them to you on prescription).

Reactions: Stephanie 1233

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Stephanie 1233

what kind of readings are you seeing?
And are they consistently high? Or do you start with lower readings which escalate during the day?
Are you finding you are thirsty and drinking a lot?
Losing weight?
Feeling very sleepy?

focussing on DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) and ketones are not always helpful in T2s
it is very important that you do not take make the assumption that your symptoms and T2 issues will be the same as those of T1, and please verify whether the person giving you advice is doing so from the perspective of T1, in which case their advice may be misleading.

Some T2s can have low (or zero) ketones, at the same time they experience the symptoms I just described above, whereas ketones are a much better gauge for T1s.

The reason for this is because T2s may have sufficient insulin circulating to prevent ketones, but insufficient insulin to keep blood glucose down to safe levels. Sometimes this develops into something called HONK https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-complications/hyperglycaemic-hyperosmolar-nonketotic-coma.html
Which does not present with high ketones, and may develop into a coma.

i strongly suggest that if your blood glucose numbers rise beyond the guide range that your medical team has given you, that you get in touch with them for advice, and please do not interpret ‘the absence of ketones’ as making ‘it all OK’. If you have not been given a guide range for your blood glucose, then ask your team for one.

Last edited:
Reactions: RachelK and Robbity

Stephanie 1233

I have notice my number on my glucose meter have risen I haven't done anything different I am going to phone my doctor in the morning the past week it been above previously was always 10 still working on getting my numbers down . at the moment its between 15 to 20 and I still drinking like a fish

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have notice my number on my glucose meter have risen I haven't done anything different I am going to phone my doctor in the morning the past week it been above previously was always 10 still working on getting my numbers down . at the moment its between 15 to 20 and I still drinking like a fish

Sounds like a good plan to call the doctor. Hope you get some answers and let us know how you get on.

Stephanie 1233

I managed to get hold of a doctor I have appointment next week I had some blood work done and their thinking about changing my medication. I keep you posted.

Reactions: Goonergal

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
I managed to get hold of a doctor I have appointment next week I had some blood work done and their thinking about changing my medication. I keep you posted.
Getting the lab work done is an excellent idea ........