Ash5896

I have type 2 diabetes since 2005. Last year my HBA levels were 156 and now 88. I had a call from the hospital today that they are cancelling my surgery as I need to around 69. I’m unable to exercise due to a spinal cord injury and loads of pain relief meds.
My current diabetes meds are metformin, glimiperide and liraglutide. My levels won’t come down anymore no matter what I try. Is there anything else I can try? The low carb diet didn’t work either.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Ash and welcome to the forum!
Could you give us some examples of a days food you’d eat when you were low carbing, just so we can see if there are any hidden carbs in what you were eating?

Reactions: ert

Johnroy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many
Hi Not a reply but I just got text from surgery that my mmol has gone up to 72 so thinking of altering medication. Not been low carbing as from March to end of May recovered from a bout of COVID. Not sure how my conversation should go with surgery now.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Not a reply but I just got text from surgery that my mmol has gone up to 72 so thinking of altering medication. Not been low carbing as from March to end of May recovered from a bout of COVID. Not sure how my conversation should go with surgery now.
I was 78 at the beginning of lockdown. By cutting my carbs and losing weight I am now 38 and with reduced drugs. It is possible that you going low carb can make a difference but 72 is quite high and the doctor will be looking to address with the drug change

you could take the new drugs to help adjust and also look at reducing carbs but I would suggest making sure your doctor is aware as some drugs can cause hypo especially with lowering carbs. If that’s what you decide to do of course

I increased my meds and then low carbed. With self testing and dr monitoring it’s helped me get to where I am now

One option is to go back to low carb and ask if your doctor would review again in 3 months when you have that sorted

do you check your own levels? Self funding that plus low carb is a good way to watch your own progress

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have type 2 diabetes since 2005. Last year my HBA levels were 156 and now 88. I had a call from the hospital today that they are cancelling my surgery as I need to around 69. I’m unable to exercise due to a spinal cord injury and loads of pain relief meds.
My current diabetes meds are metformin, glimiperide and liraglutide. My levels won’t come down anymore no matter what I try. Is there anything else I can try? The low carb diet didn’t work either.
I'm wondering what "low carb didnt work" means. How low, and for how long? It's the single most reliable method I know of.

Last edited: