MRSA

Shecat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal harmers, Smoking, Ignorance, Rudeness
Hello everyone, I wonder if anyone can give me a little advice please. I have a nasty throat infection, my GP took a sputum sample and the results came back as MRSA, I was very recently in hospital to have a cat bite treated for 5 days so it’s hospital acquired MRSA.

I am taking oral Vancomycin and am finding my blood sugars in the 20’s, I can’t seem to get them down even though I am using a significant amount of extra insulin trying to, think 10 extra units of fast acting insulin. I am Type 1 sorry I should have said that in the beginning. I am hot, sweaty and fatigued not to mention a bit bad tempered though I don’t mean to be. Can anyone please offer advice on bringing these sugar levels down before I go insane? It is so hard being Diabetic but to have a nasty infection in my throat then throw in blood sugar levels in the 20’s and I am not coping very well!

I should mention I cannot be treated with IV drugs because my local hospital is wall to wall with Covid patients.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone, I wonder if anyone can give me a little advice please. I have a nasty throat infection, my GP took a sputum sample and the results came back as MRSA, I was very recently in hospital to have a cat bite treated for 5 days so it’s hospital acquired MRSA.

I am taking oral Vancomycin and am finding my blood sugars in the 20’s, I can’t seem to get them down even though I am using a significant amount of extra insulin trying to, think 10 extra units of fast acting insulin. I am Type 1 sorry I should have said that in the beginning. I am hot, sweaty and fatigued not to mention a bit bad tempered though I don’t mean to be. Can anyone please offer advice on bringing these sugar levels down before I go insane? It is so hard being Diabetic but to have a nasty infection in my throat then throw in blood sugar levels in the 20’s and I am not coping very well!

I should mention I cannot be treated with IV drugs because my local hospital is wall to wall with Covid patients.
Are you checking ketones?

If not, call 111 for advice.
If you are checking ketones and they're alright, still call 111 for advice.

I hope you'll feel better soon!

Reactions: EllieM