1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

MRSA

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by Shecat, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Shecat

Shecat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, I wonder if anyone can give me a little advice please. I have a nasty throat infection, my GP took a sputum sample and the results came back as MRSA, I was very recently in hospital to have a cat bite treated for 5 days so it’s hospital acquired MRSA.

I am taking oral Vancomycin and am finding my blood sugars in the 20’s, I can’t seem to get them down even though I am using a significant amount of extra insulin trying to, think 10 extra units of fast acting insulin. I am Type 1 sorry I should have said that in the beginning. I am hot, sweaty and fatigued not to mention a bit bad tempered though I don’t mean to be. Can anyone please offer advice on bringing these sugar levels down before I go insane? It is so hard being Diabetic but to have a nasty infection in my throat then throw in blood sugar levels in the 20’s and I am not coping very well!

I should mention I cannot be treated with IV drugs because my local hospital is wall to wall with Covid patients.

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Are you checking ketones?

If not, call 111 for advice.
    If you are checking ketones and they're alright, still call 111 for advice.

I hope you'll feel better soon!

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook