Type 1 High Glucose every morning!!!

Norman83

Guys, I am diabetic type 1 for a while I am using tresiba and humalog.
Regarding nutrition, everyday I eat any of the following after 2 hours my sugar is OK but the next morning I wake up with 250 and up.

- Any chocolate, fried potatoes or even just baked potatoes, rice, juice, white bread, more than 2 steaks, any oily food, any biscuits, basically everything that is not natural. The same issue happens when I eat natural food like the ones below in big portions.

However, seeds, vegetables, or any natural food is no problem, unless I eat a lot.(even getting my insulin shots accordingly)
I know other diabetics, they eat pasta, white bread, chocolates, everything and third blood sugar is estable as long as they inject the correct amount of insulin.

Most of the times, even if I dont eat anything after 2 hours of the previous meal, my blood sugar starts going high again without any reason!

I am trying to get this under control but why others can eat these foods and I can’t? I’m so tired of this. Any help to understand how this work would be great! Thanks in advance!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Guys, I am diabetic type 1 for a while I am using tresiba and humalog.
Regarding nutrition, everyday I eat any of the following after 2 hours my sugar is OK but the next morning I wake up with 250 and up.

- Any chocolate, fried potatoes or even just baked potatoes, rice, juice, white bread, more than 2 steaks, any oily food, any biscuits, basically everything that is not natural. The same issue happens when I eat natural food like the ones below in big portions.

However, seeds, vegetables, or any natural food is no problem, unless I eat a lot.(even getting my insulin shots accordingly)
I know other diabetics, they eat pasta, white bread, chocolates, everything and third blood sugar is estable as long as they inject the correct amount of insulin.

Most of the times, even if I dont eat anything after 2 hours of the previous meal, my blood sugar starts going high again without any reason!

I am trying to get this under control but why others can eat these foods and I can’t? I’m so tired of this. Any help to understand how this work would be great! Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Personally? I would be looking at the action of your long acting basal (Tresiba.)
https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/

Before working out what's happening with your bolus for meals. Which could be a separate "timing issue."

Even my diatary choice can go to pot if the basal needs a tweak. Regardless of how accurate I bolus for what I eat.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Norman83

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Are you able to test at night (either set an alarm or access a continuous glucose monitor such as libre or dexcom)?

If your levels are ok through the night but just go up in the morning it is possible you are suffering from the dawn phenomena - basically your liver pumps out extra sugar in the morning to help you have the energy to get up and go out and chase mammoths (or in modern days go to a zoom meeting?).

As @Jaylee said, it sounds like you need to do some basal testing. If your basal is too low then your levels will rise once your bolus (the humalog) is out of your system.

Good luck.

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I eat tonnes of carbs, believe it or not it’s part of my weight loss diet & training plan. I carb cycle and on high carb days I eat 80Grams of oats, chicken and rice then salmon potato & veg. Blueberry muffin before the gym and 100 grams yes that’s 100Grams of Rice Krispies after the gym. The 100Grams of cereal alone is 82grams of carbs. With the current amount of insulin with my meals I can easily keep 70-90% range..

If I was you I’d look at your tresiba, if your sugars are constantly raising through the night & your waking up high it sounds like your long acting insulin is running out. You may need to increase your dose, but speak to your consultant.

Norman83

Well, it seems all of you met at the the tresiba. To be honest, my tresiba dosage is 58 units(I weigh 106 kg).

Norman83

Are you able to test at night (either set an alarm or access a continuous glucose monitor such as libre or dexcom)?

If your levels are ok through the night but just go up in the morning it is possible you are suffering from the dawn phenomena - basically your liver pumps out extra sugar in the morning to help you have the energy to get up and go out and chase mammoths (or in modern days go to a zoom meeting?).

As @Jaylee said, it sounds like you need to do some basal testing. If your basal is too low then your levels will rise once your bolus (the humalog) is out of your system.

Good luck.

How do I do a basal testing? I have a libre sensor on my arm. Before bed I check it is normal 116 when I wake up in the morning I can see that after I went horizontal boom went straight up.

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Norman83 Im 80kg & take 30 units. Basal testing is done by making sure your bloods are stable, say 4-7mmol & not raising or lowering. From what I understand you basically just dont eat, if your tresiba dose is correct your levels will stay stable. If they raise or lower your taking too much or not enough. If you google it you will find a proper guide which tells you how to prepare the day before then what to do on the day of basal testing.

Norman83

@Norman83 Im 80kg & take 30 units. Basal testing is done by making sure your bloods are stable, say 4-7mmol & not raising or lowering. From what I understand you basically just dont eat, if your tresiba dose is correct your levels will stay stable. If they raise or lower your taking too much or not enough. If you google it you will find a proper guide which tells you how to prepare the day before then what to do on the day of basal testing.

Hi Maco, thanks!
I m currently injecting 54 units of tresiba per day and around 90 of humalog, obviously depending on my carb intake.
I am 106 kilos and 189, a bit overweight. It seems then that 58 units of tresiba might not be adequate.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Look at the second post under this thread and Jaylee has put a link for you to click on to show how to do basal testing.

Norman83

IMG_8327.jpg

Look at this at 6 am my bs started to go up. For no reason. The previous night I put 62 units of tresiba instead of 54. The only thing I ate the day before was a canned peach and my bs was ok before going to bed.

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
View attachment 46645

Look at this at 6 am my bs started to go up. For no reason. The previous night I put 62 units of tresiba instead of 54. The only thing I ate the day before was a canned peach and my bs was ok before going to bed.

Does very much seem like your long acting insulin isn’t covering the full period unless your eating something before bed & are not taking your bolus insulin? Canned fruit is stacked with carbs and I know the tins you can buy here in the UK can have something like 40/50g of carbs in a can (net weight not drained) so maybe that’s where you went wrong?

Norman83

As you can see in my previous post my bs was 262 ️. My meals the previous day was all salads, broccoli, I just ate maybe 100g of baked potatoe and canned peach halves which were accounted in rapid insuline. Went to bed with normal bs.

Norman83

Does very much seem like your long acting insulin isn’t covering the full period unless your eating something before bed & are not taking your bolus insulin? Canned fruit is stacked with carbs and I know the tins you can buy here in the UK can have something like 40/50g of carbs in a can (net weight not drained) so maybe that’s where you went wrong?
The peach halves were accountedin my bolus 3 peach halves= 18 units of insulin my back after 3 hours was 99 which was ideal that was at 10pm. I ate only the fruit. No syrup.

OptimisticT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
extreme heat...
View attachment 46645

it seems that your tresiba is acting up. around 1:30 AM it appears your bolus finished it's effects (unless you had a snack :p), then your sugar started to rise and then was brought down by your basal..normally, if your basal is set well, it should just flatten out and not come down like that. seems like the basal ran out at ~5:30 AM..

is this an everyday situation? It seems like the dawn phenomenon, based on what's visible here..

have you had hypo's at night recently?

would it be possible for you to post your "Average Glucose" screenshot?

Norman83

it seems that your tresiba is acting up. around 1:30 AM it appears your bolus finished it's effects (unless you had a snack :p), then your sugar started to rise and then was brought down by your basal..normally, if your basal is set well, it should just flatten out and not come down like that. seems like the basal ran out at ~5:30 AM..

is this an everyday situation? It seems like the dawn phenomenon, based on what's visible here..

have you had hypo's at night recently?

would it be possible for you to post your "Average Glucose" screenshot?

Thanks, I have increased my tresiba from 54 to 70 and no matter what I eat during the day my sugar at night is now flat curved. Thank you so much for everything. Just a last question: 70 units of tresiba seems a lot. Is that ok? Every person is different? And has different needs?
I am over weight by 16 kgs
Thanks again

Reactions: OptimisticT1D

OptimisticT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
extreme heat...
Thanks, I have increased my tresiba from 54 to 70 and no matter what I eat during the day my sugar at night is now flat curved. Thank you so much for everything. Just a last question: 70 units of tresiba seems a lot. Is that ok? Every person is different? And has different needs?
I am over weight by 16 kgs
Thanks again
yes, everyone has different insulin needs, and it depends on a variety of factors. the term "to each his own" applies best to diabetics :)