Looking for suggestions/alternatives to cheese...

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm finding I eat a lot of cheese.
Which is fine. I like it, it's varied and it's low carb.

I'm thinking I would probably like to eat a bit more protein as an alternative for light lunch.

I would be grateful for any recommendations.

Many thanks

Hj

Reactions: zand

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I assume you are looking for low carb vegetarian alternatives to cheese as there is always meat and fish.
But, if you want vegetarian, I would suggest nuts, eggs, tofu and cheese which is not obviously cheese like paneer and halloumi.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I assume you are looking for low carb vegetarian alternatives to cheese as there is always meat and fish.
But, if you want vegetarian, I would suggest nuts, eggs, tofu and cheese which is not obviously cheese like paneer and halloumi.

Thank you for your suggestions. I'm okay with meat but just wondering about ease, cold chicken and the like are fine but they are not something I have in the fridge, like cheese.
Nuts, open a pack and they just disappear... not good at regulating, so tend not to have them in the house.
Eggs, I do eat a lot of them in one form or other, fried and omelettes esp.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nuts, open a pack and they just disappear... not good at regulating,
I bought some "shell on" nuts for Christmas (unfortunately, I don't see them much any other time of the year). Needing to crack them before eating, helps with my regulating.
It probably also helps with my grip exercises whilst I cannot climb at the moment :)

Reactions: hankjam

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How about a good quality (low carb) sausage? Cook them and keep them in the fridge, take one out as you will. Yum. Again, an already cooked boiled egg can be good to grab as well. If you mean something that you would be likely to have around the house then maybe a (low carb) protein bar? Make sure it's low carb enough for you though, you can get some for less than 5 carbs. Go onto a keto site and they have a whole range of foods. x

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Tuna? You can get them in cans sized from tiny to huge and I find it delicious just eaten out of the can....

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tuna? You can get them in cans sized from tiny to huge and I find it delicious just eaten out of the can....

Yes, it's something to include as I quite like sardines with a bit of mayo.
Thank you.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy ready cooked plain chicken drumsticks. Handy to have in the fridge as a snack.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I need a change from cheese I usually end up having...more cheese ;)

Reactions: Redshank

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd also add salmon. Cold cooked salmon keeps well and is very satisfying, even better with mayo!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your suggestions. I'm okay with meat but just wondering about ease, cold chicken and the like are fine but they are not something I have in the fridge, like cheese.
Nuts, open a pack and they just disappear... not good at regulating, so tend not to have them in the house.
Eggs, I do eat a lot of them in one form or other, fried and omelettes esp.
I buy packs of cooked, sliced ham, beef or chicken from Aldi. It's more expensive than cooking your own joints but handy when life gets difficult.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy packs of cooked, sliced ham, beef or chicken from Aldi. It's more expensive than cooking your own joints but handy when life gets difficult.
Off to Lidl's tomorrow, weather allowing, and remembering they do an "off cuts" of ham and or beef, which I will check out.
Cheers

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Any nuts, eggs (pickled), 90% Lindtt dark chocolate with peanut butter on top, cold meat, pork cracklings for me